Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Martyap
Mouseketeer

Question Port Orleans-Logistics Question???

This is our first family trip to WDW and we are staying at PORFQ. Unfortunately our only available time to travel is late July when parks are at their peak.

My understanding is that we are close to DTD and EP by bus or by boat in the case of DTD.......Could anyone please give me approximate travel times required to get back and forth from our resort at PORFQ to:

EP
AK
MK
HS
DTD
TL

I will soon have to make ADR'S for our group. Is it best to make dinner reservations at the park where we plan to spend the evening? We are a group of 6 adults and 4 kids and the last thing I want is to spend endless hours on buses.

Thanks,
Karen
Martyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyap View Post
This is our first family trip to WDW and we are staying at PORFQ. Unfortunately our only available time to travel is late July when parks are at their peak.

My understanding is that we are close to DTD and EP by bus or by boat in the case of DTD.......Could anyone please give me approximate travel times required to get back and forth from our resort at PORFQ to:

EP
AK
MK
HS
DTD
TL

I will soon have to make ADR'S for our group. Is it best to make dinner reservations at the park where we plan to spend the evening? We are a group of 6 adults and 4 kids and the last thing I want is to spend endless hours on buses.

Thanks,
Karen
Hi Karen,

We stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (the 2 resorts are connected and a short walk from each other) July 24th - August 7th this year. We don't use buses we always have a hire car but I can offer some general information. My overall advice would be that hiring a car will save you a LOT of time and hassle. Resort guests don't pay for parking at the parks so for me it makes better sense to drive if you can.

You can take the boat to DTD from POFQ and the journey time is about 15 minutes. Buses to all parks run every 10 - 15 minutes and journey times vary. The closest parks would be EP and HS, I would allow 30-40 minutes to wait for the bus and journey time. AK, I would allow 40-45 minutes and MK is the furthest away and can take over an hour. It depends very much on wait time for the bus etc.

We haven't been from PO to TL so I can't really give you a time frame on that one.

Driving may not be possible for you, but if it is, there is a lot to be gained by driving yourself. Particularly at peak times and at park closing when everyone is piling out of the park on to the buses. Often buses are full and you'll have to wait for several buses to come and go before you manage to get on.

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We stay at POFQ and rely on bus transportation. The boat to DTD takes about 10 to 15 minutes and is a nice ride. You need the bus for everything else. Once we are out, we usually stay out so we don't have to mess with the buses too much. I can't give exact times - I just recall that AK and BB are the same route and I remember coming back from AK last vacation thinking the bus ride was really really long. We were very wet from the rapids ride, so I am sure that drug out the agony. We usually eat breakfast at the resort and then an early dinner out. I try to make dinner reservations for the park we will be at or we will hop to another park if transportation is easy - such as MK for the day, then monorail to Epcot for inner and then stay for the evening (provided you have the park hopper option). We are doing some more resort dining this year, but I have them scheduled at monorail resorts so I can get there easily from the MK. These include 1900 PF at Grand Floridian and a dinner at the Polynesian - both accessible easily from MK via boat or monorail.

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #4
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

Overall I would plan on a hour to hour and a half, by bus during peak time, reasoning behind this thought as well as experince -you may not be able to get on the first bus and have to wait to for the next bus 10 to 15 mins, then add in if there are Evc or wheel chairs that need to be loaded, Then if the 2 resorts are sharing buses, We love POFQ, but many times have had to share buses with POR, which adds to thewait time.

Boat to DTD 15 to 20 min's nice ride. You can also catch a bus to another resort, for character breakfast or dinner. Then head from there into whatever park you plan on for that night.

I always plan dinner in whatever park we will be in for the evening. Also other options that I have done with my family. Maybe you want to have Dinner at Chef Mickey's, you could do a 5 to 7 then head into MK for EMH, really any monorail resorts, this will get you out of the heat and give you a chance to check out other reosrts as well.

We love Rainforest Cafe at AK for Dinner on the way out of the park.

Also you can slip out the back gate at Epcot, ( between France and England) And eat on the Boardwalk, or one of the resorts.

There is a boat that you can ride between DHS and the back gate at Epcot, about 20 to 25 min's, there are several resorts stop along to way. In the evening it's a very pretty ride.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:42 AM   #5
judomom2
Mouseketeer

We just got back for POFQ and had lots of reservations as well. We allowed 1-1 1/2 to get to each one and we had no problems. We were never late and if we were early we looked around the resort for a little bit then checked in. It would be easier to have a car because if you are eating at any of the other resorts you have to take a boat to dtd or a bus to mk to go to the mk resorts and my 20 yr old complained about taking a boat to get a bus etc
judomom2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: