Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
sweet maxine
DIS Veteran

Quick trip report---no pictures

We just returned from our trip to the Fort. We rented a camper from Fort Camper Rentals. Curt was great to work with, and we loved how everything was set up and ready to go when we arrived. We've been thinking of buying a camper, and this was a good way to try out camping in a pop-up to see how that would work out for us.

The weather was great, and there was only rain the last day of our trip--Monday night. The temps were pretty good, too, for the most part. Having AC in the camper was a real boon.

We brought no food with us, as we flew in for this trip. Since we ate all of our meals out, we had a pretty good grasp on the food situation in and around Disney.

We started out the trip with a slow afternoon of looping around in the cart, which we rented from Disney. Looping quickly became a favorite activity for us, and I took notes of some favorite sites for future reference.

Our first day in the park was in Epcot, and was very poorly managed. We slept too late, as we were tired from the flight the previous day. Since we didn't bring any food, we were hungry when we hit the park, so that took up the first part of the morning. We bought a breakfast platter, couple of OJ bottles, couple of bananas and a muffin and the total was ~$25. Wowee!!! Needless to say, we didn't make that mistake again.

We watched Captain EO, and thought it was still pretty good, in spite of its age. The movie seemed much shorter, but that could be my bad memory. We didn't even attempt Soarin or Test Track, as we were too late in the park, and my FP+ were for the MK later in the day. We left the park after doing a few things with short lines like the Norway boat ride, and drove to Golden Corral for lunch. (It has been a family favorite for some time now.) Though the food was good, I thought that there were some cutbacks in food quality and offerings (no baked sweet potatoes or red velvet cupcakes). Boo hoo.

After lunch, we drove back to the campground and rode the boat over to the MK for our afternoon fastpasses. Loved the 7 Dwarves Mine Train! Too much fun! We were tired at the end of the evening, and rode the boat back to the campground. Ordered a large cheese pizza and inhaled it---very good and cheap!!

On Saturday, we went to the MK early on the boat, and found the park to be relatively empty. Got some help with snagging a last-minute FP+ for the Mine Train for after lunch and were thrilled. We noticed that an overlooked kiosk with very helpful CMs was in the Toon Town area across from the Barnstormer. We rode so many things standby, then used our FP+ for the Mine Train, Pirates, and Haunted Mansion. On this day, we had a FP lunch ressie for the Be Our Guest restaurant. The food was good, and the sandwiches were huge. I had the French onion soup, and it was delish!

The rest of the trip was spent looping in the golf cart and swimming at the pool. We saw the Frozen movie Saturday night, along with a swarm of adoring fans. I had never seen the movie before, and of course, wasn't familiar with the songs. No worries, the whole crowd knew them all, and sang as a chorus each time. My dh thought that the sound was turned up during the songs, but I told him that it was the crowd singing along. Oh, good movie, too.

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay at the campground, and I am slowly convincing hubby that we need to get a pop-up for future trips. If you need a rental, we'd definitely recommend Fort Camper Rentals. They were easy to work with, and very nice. We attended our first Hoop-de-Doo on Friday night, and had a blast! The food was great, and I was able to get a vegetarian option which was delicious. We also ate at Trail's End for breakfast and dinner at the buffet. Both meals were very good, and I especially enjoyed the "moonshine" in the morning at breakfast. We found most everyone we met at the campground to be very friendly and helpful. The comfort stations were very clean, and nicely cooled. We are hoping to go back soon with a pop-up of our own.

Oh, and wanted to add, there was some neat Fort-themed merchandise in the Trading Post stores. I managed to be swayed into buying the brown Mickey camper shirt.

Last edited by sweet maxine; 07-23-2014 at 08:01 AM.
sweet maxine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
KristinU
DIS Veteran

Thanks for sharing your trip report! It sounds like you had a great trip!

1994 Poly Honeymoon - 1997 BWV - 1998 Contemporary - 1999 Coronado Springs - 2000 Joined DVC! BWV & Vero Beach - 2001 BWV & CBR - 2002 BCV & OKW - 2003 Grand Californian & AKL - 2004 POR, DS's first trip to WDW and our 10th anniversary! - 2005 BWV for DS's first birthday! & SSR - 2006 Pop & OKW - 2007 VWL for DS's 3rd birthday! also in 2007 - started living Debt Free! - 2008 BWV for DS's 4th birthday and sold DVC! (and yes, it's a good thing for us! ) and Fort Wilderness for Thanksgiving 2008 - 2009 Bay Lake Tower for our 15th Anniversary 2011 Fort Wilderness, Princess Half Marathon 2012 Fort Wilderness - 2013 1st Dark Side visit - Universal for WWoHP! 2013 AKV for Princess Half Marathon Girls Weekend!
KristinU is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 07-23-2014, 05:05 PM   #3
azureskies
Mouseketeer

Sounds like you had a wonderful time! Thank you for sharing. We will also be getting our own pop-up camper. I just traded in my car for a van. We are in no hurry to buy a camper, just taking our time. Good luck, I hope your husband also decides it's a good idea.

1976 - off-site
1992 - off-site
2014 - All-Star Movies, Pop Century, All-Star Sports (mini stay)
2015 -
azureskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 05:15 PM   #4
Teamubr
Racing around the country with a stop at WDW

Uh Oh! That's how it started for us... Rented a popup and the next thing you know, we had a hybrid... Then a TT, now a 5er... You get it.

Sounds like a great trip. Short, but great.

j

Check out UkraineBrothersRacing on Facebook
Teamubr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 06:45 PM   #5
bama_ed
My old avatar was the blue Muppet named Grover

WHAT? No pictures?

Thanks for the update Maxine. Like Jim, glad to hear your popup experience was a good one. Sounds like DH is headed for Pups-ville, he just doesn't know it yet.

Bama Ed
Jan 1988 FW 700 Loop (tent).......Jan 2004 FW 2500 Loop (cabin)....... Apr 2011 FW 2000 Loop (pop-up)
May 1988 FW 1200 Loop (tent).... May 2006 FW 900 Loop (pop-up) .... Mar 2012 FW 1500 Loop (pop-up)
Dec 1995 Contemporary.............. Mar 2007 FW 1000 Loop (pop-up).... Apr 2013 FW 100 Loop (pop-up)

plus countless WDW day trips, DL 3X, DLP 2X - TV: 2005 Chevy Suburban - Camper: 2014 Aliner Expedition - Nights Camped: 182
bama_ed is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: