Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 05:38 PM   #16
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieO View Post
I hope it's ok to jump in here. This thread is making me think. We are going to Cozumel on our first cruise. We have a lake house and my 8 year old son is a good swimmer. I still make him wear a life vest on the boat and swimming off the dock when their are a lot of people (just to be safe) but never in the pool or from shore. We're not snorkeling just playing at the beach. I can bring his life vest. Is that over kill? Or would you think he should just stay out of the water?
If your son is a good swimmer, just stay with him and be as cautious as you usually are. It wouldn't hurt to bring the life vest and if/when both he and you are comfortable that he's okay with the ocean and the current wherever you are, he can choose to leave it on the beach.

None of us wish to frighten you in regard to snorkeling/swimming in Cozumel; it's considered one of the best places for snorkeling/diving in this part of the world. The currents are different depending on where you are and how far out you are. It's just that people who can't really swim probably shouldn't be out in the ocean. I believe that's the point most of us are making.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #17
JackieO
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetexas View Post
If your son is a good swimmer, just stay with him and be as cautious as you usually are. It wouldn't hurt to bring the life vest and if/when both he and you are comfortable that he's okay with the ocean and the current wherever you are, he can choose to leave it on the beach.

None of us wish to frighten you in regard to snorkeling/swimming in Cozumel; it's considered one of the best places for snorkeling/diving in this part of the world. The currents are different depending on where you are and how far out you are. It's just that people who can't really swim probably shouldn't be out in the ocean. I believe that's the point most of us are making.

Thank you for your thoughts. I think I'll just take the vest and see how things are. Better safe than sorry. I'm one of those "protective mothers" anyway, so don't worry about frightening me. It's good to hear from people who've been there. I would have never even thought to bring the vest. Just another way this board has helped in our planning!
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: