Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 04:58 PM   #1
Fabooliss
DIS Veteran

Any suggestions on an excursion or a "do it yourself outing" in Cozumel? DH and DD are strong swimmers, DS8 is average, I'm one step above a non-swimmer!
But we all really want to snorkel!
Advice welcome!

Disneyland March 2014
POP Feb 2007, Jan 2011
Wonder Feb 2, 2013
Fabooliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
Anal Annie
....at least I KNOW I'm a kook...I just can't stop it....

We went to Cozumel on our honeymoon and went snorkeling a few times on our own. There is a very strong current around Cozumel so make sure you have fins to help you swim back to shore - and a life vest would be a good idea too. We snorkel a lot and Cozumel was the only place I ever felt like I wished that I was a stronger swimmer (we didn't have fins) and I was yelling for DH to come rescue me!! It was our own stupidity tho for not having fins.

Come join me for my 2nd ever trip report now in progress for DisneyLAND and Aulani and Maui 2014. http://www.disboards.com/showthread....7#post52179607

My first ever trip report - Disneyland Paris and our DCL Med cruise: http://thewhitehouseblog.weebly.com/ (ALMOST but not quite finished)

August 2014 - 3 n @ VGC & DL followed by 7 n @ Aulani follwed by 3 n on Maui / Jan 2014 - 5 n @ AKV Jambo House / Aug 2013 - 9 nights @ SSR / Aug 2012 - 9 n @ Boardwalk Villas and HRH / Mar-Apr 2012 6 n @ Bay Lake / August 2011 Disneyland Paris and DCL MED cruise / August 2010 Disney's DVC resort at Hilton Head Island, SC / March 2010 Kidani Village at AKV / August '09 BCV & Vero Beach / May '09 SSR / July '08 AKV & B2B Cruises on The Wonder/ January '08 VWL / August '07 OKW / July '06 Offsite - Waikiki, Kona & Ka'anapali, Hawaii / July '05 Disneyland & Disney Magic West Coast Cruise to the Mexican Riviera / Summer '04 CSR / May '03 Offsite - St. John, USVI / Summer '02 AKL & O.C., MD

[/url]IMG]http://photopost.wdwinfo.com/uploads/21406/ssrgroup.jpg[/IMG] [url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]

[url=http://www.myvacationcountdown.com/]
Anal Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I wouldn't do snorkeling on Cozumel if I wasn't sure of my ability. I would do it on Grand Cayman. Captain Marvin has several snorkeling packages, and if the time doesn't suit ship time, e-mail them and they will adjust. They were very attentive to the "less able" in our group and did provide vests if desired.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #4
kikids
Mouseketeer

We arranged a private snorkel excursion last April with Eagle Ray Divers. They offer 3 reef and 2 reef tours. I have one of the only mixed reviews on Tripadvisor - most reviews are glowing, positively awesome, although please note that many of the 5 star reviewers have only "1 review" to their account, which always makes me suspicious. If you want to read my review and can't find it, let me know I'll give you a link.
The water was fine, not choppy at all, very clear. And my 10 yr old is not a strong swimmer - she wore a life vest and also they also gave her another floaty to hang onto (might have been a float noodle or another life vest, I can't remember). But honestly the water was so salty, I deflated my lift vest so I could dive down at times but I still floated with ease.
The actual boat operators couldn't have been more friendly or helpful. They gave us lots of food and beverages. Saw lots of fish, dolphin, barracuda and sting ray. Never felt unsafe though.
Hope this helps.
Disney Fantasy 2014, Disney Magic 2013 (Mediterranean) http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3124303, Disney Magic 2012, Disney Dream 2011, Disney Wonder 2010, POP 2012, CBR 2010, POR 2009, Off property 2002-2008, SeaWorld 2010, 2011.

kikids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
LessMouse
Earning My Ears

I agree with the previous post relating to the current. Depending on the weather the current can even be challenging for diving. I personally would see what snorkeling tours you can find in Playa Del Carmen. Just a 30 minute ferry ride to the mainland.
LessMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:28 PM   #6
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

Cozumel definitely has a strong current. I was on a snorkel tour one time there where a man freaked out. It was not good. He grabbed onto his wife and she was getting pushed under the water. My husband took care of him and I took care of his wife. Luckily, he stayed on the boat for our next reef. If you are not a strong swimmer then I highly suggest that you snorkel from a beach club on the south side of the island.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
Fabooliss
DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone . I think we'll try castaway cay. Fine for a first time... And if we like it we'll have to come back.

Disneyland March 2014
POP Feb 2007, Jan 2011
Wonder Feb 2, 2013
Fabooliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
truck1
Growing older but not up.

Another option is when you get off the ship, cross back over to the side of the street that has the ocean on it, and walk towards the other cruise ship piers. About a block or 2 away is Margarittaville, and also 2 different dive shops. 1 of them has SNUBA in the back and a snorkel area that is roped in.
Margarittaville has some floats and some other toys and a larger area that is roped in that Ive seen people snorkel in before. They 2 shops and Margarittaville are about 2 or 3 doors away from each other. Not sure what there is to see there, but it may be an option.
truck1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
jiminyC_fan
Missing Captain Mickey!
always let your conscience be your guide
Gotta love popcorn!

The current can be strong at Margaritaville
Old 01-05-2013, 08:17 PM   #10
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabooliss View Post
Any suggestions on an excursion or a "do it yourself outing" in Cozumel? DH and DD are strong swimmers, DS8 is average, I'm one step above a non-swimmer!
Advice welcome!
If you can not tread water on your own stay out of the water. Please for your sake and that of your families go take swimming lessons before your cruise.you do not want to become a fatality.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 PM   #11
ilovetexas
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabooliss View Post
Advice welcome!
Under no circumstances should you or your 8 year old son snorkel off a boat, anywhere. The ocean is not a place to mess around; I'm an okay swimmer and I don't even like it when there are a lot of waves or strong currents.

On our first cruise, none of our kids were experienced swimmers. We took an excursion to an island with snorkeling right off the beach (not DCL and not Cozumel). Having snorkeled in Hawaii, I thought it was awful but the kids had fun figuring out the equipment while feeling safe. Now, they all swim better than I do and I would be perfectly comfortable with them snorkeling wherever they want. Go to one of the beach clubs in Cozumel, like Nachi Cocom, and your DH and DD can go on one of the snorkel trips they offer while you and your son stay and play. Maybe when your DH gets back, he can assist you and your son snorkeling from the beach.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:46 PM   #12
SleepyDeb
Mouseketeer

Ok, now I'm nervous. I am not a strong swimmer, I can manage to get from one end of our 36 ft pool to the other, but then need to rest. I have snorkeled off boats in Hawaii, Bahamas, and Barbados, always with a vest and never a moments problem.

DH and I booked a DCL snorkel excursion in Cozumel. Should I rethink this? Is Cozumel really that much worse than the other places I mentioned ?
SleepyDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
TXDCLfan
Other cruise lines did it first, Disney did it right!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyDeb View Post
Ok, now I'm nervous. I am not a strong swimmer, I can manage to get from one end of our 36 ft pool to the other, but then need to rest. I have snorkeled off boats in Hawaii, Bahamas, and Barbados, always with a vest and never a moments problem.

DH and I booked a DCL snorkel excursion in Cozumel. Should I rethink this? Is Cozumel really that much worse than the other places I mentioned ?
The bolded portion says it ALL you have no business in the water.I have rescued 2 persons that had NO business swimming in the ocean and in there panic almost drowned me as I brought them to shore. Please for your sake and your families learn to swim before getting into the ocean.

Last edited by TXDCLfan; 01-06-2013 at 05:22 PM.
TXDCLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:09 PM   #14
JackieO
Mouseketeer

I hope it's ok to jump in here. This thread is making me think. We are going to Cozumel on our first cruise. We have a lake house and my 8 year old son is a good swimmer. I still make him wear a life vest on the boat and swimming off the dock when their are a lot of people (just to be safe) but never in the pool or from shore. We're not snorkeling just playing at the beach. I can bring his life vest. Is that over kill? Or would you think he should just stay out of the water?
JackieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:20 PM   #15
Madhattr
Mouseketeer

having been there in december I can tell you the current is VERY strong

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: