Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #16
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Well fortunately I think they put privacy curtains in the sink area at the values now, so at least there would be a private area for getting ready in the mornings and evenings. Maybe someone can confirm this.
If you've discussed this with son and his GF and everyone is ok with it, then that's fine. Many families share. Go with what you can afford, and have a good time!
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:18 AM   #17
WanderlustNZ
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam
I wouldn't mind it. We had my MIL stay in the room with us on our trip in May. No awkwardness there but I guess we're in the minority here.
I'm like this too. I've shared a hotel room on more than one occasion with my husband and my MIL and it was fine. It's not something I would want to do every night of a long vacation, but for a short trip I think it's a great way of saving everyone a bit of money. I think it's something that sounds weirder on paper than it actually is.

In saying all this, I get along well with my MIL and we have a comfortable relationship that has built up over years. In the early stages of my husband and I dating, I'm not sure I would have been so amicable.
WanderlustNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 02:26 AM   #18
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

It depends on your relationship and traveling style. I traveled a lot with friends and family and am pretty casual. Seeing people in pjs isn't offensive and I have the sense and relationships to either make myself scarce or ask someone else to! My mom is traveling with us this trip. She is hard of hearing and drinks early morning coffee. Thus we have some privacy.

So it depends on you and them. have fun!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:43 AM   #19
LovesTimone
DIS Veteran

I would not do this in that small of a space.. Just not ideal

I would however... but only.... in a family suite, that way you each get your own bathroom, and do have some privacy. And I suggest that you take the bedroom.
LovesTimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #20
michsig
DIS Veteran

If I had to share a room with my boyfriend's mother, I wouldn't mind it. However, I'm very close with his family. I guess it all depends on how close you are!
June 2010 - CSR
July 1999 - Villas at Disney Institute
May 1991 - Offsite
michsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:49 AM   #21
lurkernj
DIS Veteran

I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing this and would want my own room.

Also, you mentioned July 4th trip and MNSSHP, I just wanted to point out that those don't happen at the same time of year (unless you were talking about two different trips and I missed it).

All the makings of a Disaster, Sept 2012

Split stay: Yacht Club/Pop Oct 1-Oct 8 DH/me
Art of Animation - April 2013 BFF trip
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 23-30, 2012 (Group trip)
Port Orleans Resort - Dec 10-15, 2010 (BFF trip)
POP Century - Sept 12-18, 2009 (Me and DS11)
Port Orleans Resort - Sept 2-12, 2008 (Group trip)
lurkernj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:53 AM   #22
Eastern
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't: those rooms are extremely small. You open the door and the end of the bed is right there.
Eastern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:58 AM   #23
bdklein
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by seadd67 View Post
So we are going to POP for our July 4th trip( and MNSSHP). So this will be the first trip for my ds gf, and the first time we will have share a room with more then just me and him. So of you parents out there, that have gone with there sons or daughters and there GF,BF or Husband or wife, how did that go with sharing a room?. Is it to awkward, is it worth the extra money to get my own room, don't really would have the extra dollars, but if it makes the time better i will do it. So how did your trips go with shearing a room.
Are you the Dad or Mom?

Last edited by bdklein; 12-27-2012 at 11:00 AM.
bdklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #24
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I can do 2 in a room at Pop but more than that and I'm very uncomfortable.

I think since there's a girlfriend involved, you might be more comfortable getting your own room if you can swing it.

Otherwise just make the best of it. There is a nice curtain between the sinks and the bedroom that will help with getting ready in the morning.

Connie

WDW: 16 family trips, 10 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (3), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
maggiew
If she hates to be wet, then how does the survive bathing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurkernj View Post
I probably wouldn't feel comfortable doing this and would want my own room.

Also, you mentioned July 4th trip and MNSSHP, I just wanted to point out that those don't happen at the same time of year (unless you were talking about two different trips and I missed it).
Maybe she meant Star Wars weekend. Is that still going on during July 4?

Maggie
Prince Sakura Hotel TDR * Marriott Residence Inn LBV Dec 2013 * Hotel Cheyenne DLPR May 2013 * Aulani July 2012 * Royal Pacific July 2011 * Pop Century Aug 2010 * Disneyland Oct 2009 * Beach Club July 2009 * AsMo Dec 2007 Mousefest! * Old Key West July 2006 * Pop Century Dec. 2005 Mousefest! * Sheraton Safari July 2005 * Pop Century/Portofino Bay Hotel August 2004 * Coronado Springs Nov 2003 * Dolphin June 2003 * POR Nov/Dec 2002 * AsMu 1999 * AsSp 1997
maggiew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #26
LuvLDM
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't even consider it, I really like my privacy.
Op, has your son discussed this w/ his girlfriend? How do they feel about it?
LuvLDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #27
Mousemom
DIS Veteran

We did this last May when my son, his girlfriend, and I went. But we are really comfortable around each other. When we camp, if it is raining, we all use our trailer which is not any bigger than a hotel room. I have vacationed with my mother-in-law and family and shared a room...we have also gotten two rooms when we had the money to spend. It is nice to have your own bathroom. I think it all depends on, like the above posters said, how comfortable you all are about this.
Mousemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #28
ruckelc
Earning My Ears

I got back from Disney last week and my group was in the same situation that you are in. On the trip it was my mother, girlfriend, and myself so I volunteered to sleep on the floor while in the Pop and the couch while in the Polynesian so that there would be no awkwardness. I knew that my mom would be uncomfortable with us sleeping together so I just volunteered so that everyone would be comfortable. It really depends on how close all of you are but I would just talk about it with your son and his girlfriend to hash it all out if you are worried about it.
ruckelc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
buzznina
DIS Veteran

Location: The White Sugar Beaches of the Florida Panhandle, Destin area. 7 hours away from the Magic Place.

I would not have any problems with it, I would just make sure the GF has no issues. My DW and I have been on vacation with my MIL and had no issues. We even stayed at POP with my sister and her DD(16) and we had a lot of fun, I truly believe it is what you make out of the situation whether or not you will enjoy yourself.

DW DH DD(10) DD(5)

AKL-SV(2), POLY, GF(CL), CR, POFQ(4), POR(6)(RGR(2)), CSR(10), CBR, FW CABINS, BW, POP(3), ASMU(2), ASSP, ASMO and DLH
buzznina is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: