Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #1
Sharkmeister
Mouseketeer

VGT vs 7A: first cruise

Planning our first Disney cruise and am now thinking about using VGT. It is about $200 cheaper - this is our first cruise, so cabin placement isn't that important to us, but we do want something in the verandah catergory (hence 7A). We will be travelling from Australia, so date and names are locked in. We will have travel insurance as well.

Am I right in thinking with VGT we will get at least 7A? Is there anything else that we should consider about VGT?

Thanks
Sharkmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

It sounds like you have seen the list of restrictions associated with the *GT reservations. If you are good with them, the VGT is a good value. Yes, you will have a verandah--you just have no idea where.

They are NOT giving the "crummy" rooms only with VGT. There have been reports of people being assigned to cat 4s.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #3
Sharkmeister
Mouseketeer

Thanks kcashner. I am leaning towards VGT.
Old 12-26-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
conan979
Earning My Ears

just booked a VGT for 1/24/13 and got room 8122 on the Dream! That's a cat 4B! Our Sept cruise our VGT got us 6540, only a cat 5D but love the savings! If you don't care where you'll be as long as you have a veradah, go for it!
conan979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
wink13
Just a bit Goofy

We booked a VGT last Feb for our cruise and was assigned a 4A. Clearly happy with that assignment on the Dream!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

7A on Magic/Wonder are nice in most cases. 7A on Dream/Fantasy you need to be careful of IMO. (Did I miss you saying which ship?)

My mom is in a 7A on our upcoming cruise and the room I picked will be perfect for her. Other 7As I would not have considered.

I would roll the dice with the VGT personally and be happy with whatever you get. Since it's your first cruise and you seem to have an open mind, I'm sure you'll be fine. Worst case, you end up with a 7A $200 cheaper.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #7
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

VGT definitely. If there's more than 3 of you then they can't put you in a 7A. If 3 or less you are guaranteed any verandah stateroom cat 7A and up.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
VGT definitely. If there's more than 3 of you then they can't put you in a 7A. If 3 or less you are guaranteed any verandah stateroom cat 7A and up.
Doesn't that depend on the ship? There are 7As on the Fantasy/Dream which sleep 4.

OP has not said which ship which I think would be helpful.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:35 PM   #9
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaneselover

Doesn't that depend on the ship? There are 7As on the Fantasy/Dream which sleep 4.

OP has not said which ship which I think would be helpful.
Oh ok! I just checked DCL's website on this and their FAQ section globally says 7A sleeps 3. I made sure they weren't referring to just the classics before posting. I guess that part of the site was misleading! Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #10
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Oh ok! I just checked DCL's website on this and their FAQ section globally says 7A sleeps 3. I made sure they weren't referring to just the classics before posting. I guess that part of the site was misleading! Sorry for the misinformation.
7As on the new ship include a shmorgishborg of reclassified Cat. 5 and 6 cabins--many of which sleep 4. The reason I would shy away from many of these is because of the undersized verandah. 7As on the classic ships are adorable and I hope to one day get a chance to sail in one. They sleep 3.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #11
melaniejh1016
Mouseketeer

I've booked 2 VGT's and gotten a 4A and a 4B. Def worth the saved money!
melaniejh1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:44 PM   #12
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by havaneselover

7As on the new ship include a shmorgishborg of reclassified Cat. 5 and 6 cabins--many of which sleep 4. The reason I would shy away from many of these is because of the undersized verandah. 7As on the classic ships are adorable and I hope to one day get a chance to sail in one. They sleep 3.
I LOVED my 7A on the Wonder. I've been on a 4A too and prefer the 7A. Can't wait to sail on a classic ship again!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:27 PM   #13
Sharkmeister
Mouseketeer

Thanks everyone. The ship is the Wonder and there are only 3 of us travelling. I have decided to go with the VGT and have let the TA know. Will come back when I get a room assignment to let you know how it went.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: