Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
momof1princess
i feel like i'm going to explode if i don't get it out right that second!

Anyone Been To The Superdome? Questions...

DD15 and her HS marching band are performing in the halftime show at the allstate sugar bowl next week, and i'm not sure about bringing my camera.

about 6-7 weeks ago, i got a canon rebel T2i with kit lens and 50/250 zoom lens. the sugar bowl policies state no professional cameras with a lens more than 6". the 50/250 zoom is 4 1/2", without the endcaps, and fully retracted into itself.

i REALLY don't give a hoot about the football game (florida vs. louisville), and have no intention of taking photos of anything other than our band, and maybe of us parents and sibs in our seats, but i'm pretty sure the security personnel won't care.

has anyone taken a DSLR into the superdome? did you have issues at the gate?
Old 12-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Honestly, I'd be SHOCKED if you had any issues bringing a regular dSLR with a telephoto lens.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Ugh.. the whole "professional camera" policy idea really irritates me. Any pro who is worth a darn can use pretty much any camera and get publishable work. I'm normally a rule follower but not when they're just stupidly absurd like these kinds of policies are.

Some places are really strict with their policies, some are not. And it can vary depending on who is at the gate when you go in. Personally I'd put the a smaller lens on the camera going in and stash the larger one in my purse. I'd also not take a camera bag at all. Carrying your gear in your purse makes you look less like a pro and more like a mom-tog. And with rules like this, if they choose to enforce anything, appearances are everything.

Finally graduated. Woooo! To graduate school, and beyond!

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
handicap18
Husband, father of 3, and Disney addict
Keep the game flowin and keep the people participating

I haven't been to the SuperDome, but I have brought my 70-300mm lens to Gillette Stadium, Ralph Wilson Stadium, Giants Stadium & The Georgia Dome with no issues. I've also brought it to 10 different MLB baseball stadiums with no issues.
Nikon D600 : Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8 : Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D : Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR : Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VRII AF-S: Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM : Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6 EX DC HSM : SB-900 Speedlight Flash.
handicap18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:05 PM   #5
momof1princess

thanks, guys someone suggested i check their policies before taking my camera, and that is what it said. my crossbody bag is too narrow to fit my zoom lens (i think, haven't tried yet), so i'm not sure what i'll do with it.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #6
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

......... and I went to our local small regional arena to see a farm team of a farm team of a hockey team to see my daughter's 5th grade class sing the national anthem (a ruse to get us all to buy tickets) and was shocked to find out they searched all bags and wouldn't let me bring in my T2i.

I second the sentiment that it depends on what sort of a rogue employee you get at that gate.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
momof1princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
......... and I went to our local small regional arena to see a farm team of a farm team of a hockey team to see my daughter's 5th grade class sing the national anthem (a ruse to get us all to buy tickets) and was shocked to find out they searched all bags and wouldn't let me bring in my T2i.

I second the sentiment that it depends on what sort of a rogue employee you get at that gate.
this is my fear...that i won't be allowed in with my camera, and, at that point, i'll be screwed, because i won't be able to get back to the hotel (and i wouldn't dare go alone, anyway), and i won't get to see the band perform.

unfortunately, i traded in my P&S on the T2i, so i don't have one i can take along instead. i've been considering hitting up the after Christmas sales with my leftover Christmas money, and seeing what sort of P&S i can get. and, in an ironic twist of fate, i got the T2i to take on this trip, so that i could get decent pictures of DD15 and the marching band performing. it never occurred to me i might not be allowed to take it in.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof1princess View Post
this is my fear...that i won't be allowed in with my camera, and, at that point, i'll be screwed, because i won't be able to get back to the hotel (and i wouldn't dare go alone, anyway), and i won't get to see the band perform.

unfortunately, i traded in my P&S on the T2i, so i don't have one i can take along instead. i've been considering hitting up the after Christmas sales with my leftover Christmas money, and seeing what sort of P&S i can get. and, in an ironic twist of fate, i got the T2i to take on this trip, so that i could get decent pictures of DD15 and the marching band performing. it never occurred to me i might not be allowed to take it in.
Thankfully our car wasn't too far away as this was a fairly small arena. But I was less than happy to have to walk back to my car and have people see me stow the camera there for the duration of the game. It's a mini-van, so not much room to hide it in there.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
KAT4DISNEY
Glad to be a test subject
1st trip Disneyland 1969
1st Trip DisneyWorld 1972
Only trip Disneyland Paris 2002

It sounds like you fit within the description provided. I'd print that out and bring it along. And if the gate security is going to deny you entry with it ask for a supervisor and provide the info along with an explanation. But it can be a risk.

Last year I went to a Vikings game at the metrodome. I've brought my DSLR in to both Twins and Vikings games before without issue but they apparently changed what is allowed and were going to stop me. I was sent to a different gate where they inspected what I had and allowed me entry. And last year was just my little NEX but had my 55-210mm lens. It was hard to refrain from a discussion about what a super zoom can do in comparison but I kept it in.

KAT4DISNEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 AM   #10
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

I agree with KAT4DISNEY that you fit within the guidelines on all accounts. The T2i is not Canon's professional level camera and the lens (I'm assuming since I don't shoot Canon) is a consumer level lens under the length limit. Just bring a copy of their rules and request to see a supervisor if there is an issue. Also, if you can find one, you may want to include in your packet a description of the T2i as an enthusiast level camera. Just in case. I don't think you will have an issue as long as you don't go in wearing a photo vest looking like a pro.
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:22 PM   #11
HPS3
Disney Fanatic

Being from New Orleans and going to the SD many times, it's not a place I would want to walk back to my car at. Its a nice walk back to the parking garage or any street lots for that matter and the area is Dangerous just like any major city. I have been robbed in the city at gunpoint and I'm always nervous walking around with camera gear. I know it will be really crowded and safer than usual because of security but DO NOT walk alone. We do have one of the highest crime rates in the US. Having said that, last year when I was there I saw people with DSLRs but I had a Nex and 100mm Nikon prime(small). I would check with the Superdome personel before hiking up to the entrance and being turned around. Just be aware of your surroundings and stay with a grouo if wondering around after the game.
HPS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:31 PM   #12
momof1princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAT4DISNEY View Post
It sounds like you fit within the description provided. I'd print that out and bring it along. And if the gate security is going to deny you entry with it ask for a supervisor and provide the info along with an explanation. But it can be a risk.

Last year I went to a Vikings game at the metrodome. I've brought my DSLR in to both Twins and Vikings games before without issue but they apparently changed what is allowed and were going to stop me. I was sent to a different gate where they inspected what I had and allowed me entry. And last year was just my little NEX but had my 55-210mm lens. It was hard to refrain from a discussion about what a super zoom can do in comparison but I kept it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gianna'sPapa View Post
I agree with KAT4DISNEY that you fit within the guidelines on all accounts. The T2i is not Canon's professional level camera and the lens (I'm assuming since I don't shoot Canon) is a consumer level lens under the length limit. Just bring a copy of their rules and request to see a supervisor if there is an issue. Also, if you can find one, you may want to include in your packet a description of the T2i as an enthusiast level camera. Just in case. I don't think you will have an issue as long as you don't go in wearing a photo vest looking like a pro.
i have printed out the sugar bowl policies, as well as a review that states the T2i is an "entry-level DSLR". thanks guys!
Old 12-27-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
photo_chick

The problem here comes when someone has to decide what defines a professional camera. It's not just a matter of being part of the "professional line". Many do consider any DSLR to be a professional camera. Don't think that because the T2i is listed as entry level in reviews means it's not going to be considered a professional camera by someone. It all depends on who is interpreting the rules.

Edited to add....

I was curious, so i looked up the policy..
"No video or professional lens cameras are allowed. Still photographer lenses cannot exceed six inches."

from here
http://allstatesugarbowl.org/site190.php

That is a little different than what was said in the original post. That rule could be easily interpreted to mean all cameras with interchangeable lenses. And the still photographer lens limit could be applied to super zooms. Again, it's all going to depend on how strict they're being and who is doing the interpreting. But it's a very similarly worded policy to one they use for a new years eve event where i'm at. And at that one they use the rule to bar all DSLR's from entering.

Last edited by photo_chick; 12-27-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
momof1princess

today, DH suggested i call the office of the allstate sugar bowl, and get the details of their camera policy straight from them. so, i called, and the lady i spoke with said that DSLR cameras are allowed, as long as the lens isn't longer than 6 inches. i've written down her name, and the date and time we spoke, so, if i have any issues at the gate, i'll let the security person know i called ahead. woohoo! we leave in 36 hours!
Old 12-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #15
photo_chick

YAY! Crossing my fingers that you don't have any problems!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: