Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 07:31 PM   #31
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakcp2001 View Post
There is so much more to a study abroad than just how it will look on a resume.
Ain't that the truth!

Personally I think many parents have it all wrong....trying to find the perfect recipe for a successful future. Pushing for just the right extracurriculars, just the right HS GPA, just the right SAT scores, just the right college, just the right major, just the right internship....all in the hopes of creating the just the right resume to land just the right job. The formula for true success is much more complicated than that.

I say encourage them to go. Live life. Learn alittle about the real world (which that college campus is not). Learn a lot about themself.

Last edited by pacrosby; 12-28-2012 at 08:54 PM.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 PM   #32
pacrosby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELSMICE View Post
We were not willing to take out loans for this and did not want her to either.
Personally, with all due respect, I think parents have to be careful about this stuff. I fully understand and support the "I" will not take out a loan for "you" (an adult), however telling that adult that they are not "allowed" to take out a loan for themselves? IDK...that to me is quite another story. I guess I would have to ask.....whose life is it anyway?

Amazing opportunities/experiences such as this can help shape the rest of a young person's life and sometimes they cost money, money that we may not have sitting around. Debt is not the end of the world. In fact, for most, it turns into an important life lesson. I do wonder how those who would dissuade their child from taking out a loan for a semester abroad would respond to an adult child's plan to take out a loan for a car, a condo, to start their own business. IDK...it just sounds like more of a personal bias to me ("I" don't think a semester abroad is worth it and you shouldn't either). And although I recognize that it happens all the time, and that parents who do it do so with the best of intentions, I do think it's unfortunate when parents limit their children's opportunities/experiences (and therefore their futures) as a result of their own personal fears/biases.

Last edited by pacrosby; 12-28-2012 at 09:25 PM.
pacrosby is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 10:15 AM   #33
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrosby View Post
Personally, with all due respect, I think parents have to be careful about this stuff. I fully understand and support the "I" will not take out a loan for "you" (an adult), however telling that adult that they are not "allowed" to take out a loan for themselves? IDK...that to me is quite another story. I guess I would have to ask.....whose life is it anyway?

Amazing opportunities/experiences such as this can help shape the rest of a young person's life and sometimes they cost money, money that we may not have sitting around. Debt is not the end of the world. In fact, for most, it turns into an important life lesson. I do wonder how those who would dissuade their child from taking out a loan for a semester abroad would respond to an adult child's plan to take out a loan for a car, a condo, to start their own business. IDK...it just sounds like more of a personal bias to me ("I" don't think a semester abroad is worth it and you shouldn't either). And although I recognize that it happens all the time, and that parents who do it do so with the best of intentions, I do think it's unfortunate when parents limit their children's opportunities/experiences (and therefore their futures) as a result of their own personal fears/biases.
I have no issue with my dd incurring some student debt. In fact, I think she should!!! She'll feel much more vested in her education. We have told her what we are able to pay. And that included that semester abroad. The London semester for theatre kids was a huge draw for her for this particular college. So, we knew going in that she was going to go to London. BUT...she also knows that she needs to contribute something towards that trip. As I mentioned earlier, we are lucky in that this particular study abroad program is the actual semester grade. It is the exact same thing as being on campus, taking classes. Her room/board/tuition are all the same in London. So much better than having to worry about making up credits when she gets back or having to figure out how much money to borrow to go. Or, what to do if financial aid is an issue since she isn't 'on campus, taking classes'. The only thing we pay, other than regular college costs for that semester, is the flight over and back and spending money. With food costs taken care of, and the vast majority of activities being paid by the college, not much is needed.

But, if kids really want to study abroad, then they need to be willing to pay for it. Parents can help as needed. But it isn't a given.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #34
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacrosby

Everyone has their own way of doing things. I think taking out a loan to study abroad and taking out loans for a car, home, business are two completely different things. If loans can be avoided before a young adults starts out their 100% independent life away from their parents then I think that young adult is more ahead of the game. That's JMO. I fully realize that many college students can not avoid student loans. In fact, I have already stated that my girls will each have a small student loan to pay back. My oldest daughter who graduated with her Bachelors in May of 2011 has already begun looking at houses and is putting herself through grad school. She is working both a full time and part time job to accomplish this. She is working the part time job at my business (a dance studio) as she would like to own her own dance school one day also.

I never said that a semester abroad isn't worth it. In fact, I think it would be a great experience......my sister studied abroad in London. What I said is that it wasn't financially in the cards for us and taking out loans wasn't an option for US. My daughter is a junior right now and mentioned a few months ago that she wanted to travel abroad this semester that starts in January. Had she made any indication she wanted to do this when she started college, or even a year ago, there would have been a plan/budget put in to place for that if possible.

Believe me when I tell you that none of my daughters have been limited in the opportunities or experiences they have had in life. They have goals and things they want to achieve and are working towards them. The DD that is not able to study abroad is not lacking in life experience and is hoping to safe enough money so that she can travel abroad when she graduates from college.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #35
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELSMICE View Post
Everyone has their own way of doing things. I think taking out a loan to study abroad and taking out loans for a car, home, business are two completely different things. If loans can be avoided before a young adults starts out their 100% independent life away from their parents then I think that young adult is more ahead of the game. That's JMO. I fully realize that many college students can not avoid student loans. In fact, I have already stated that my girls will each have a small student loan to pay back. My oldest daughter who graduated with her Bachelors in May of 2011 has already begun looking at houses and is putting herself through grad school. She is working both a full time and part time job to accomplish this. She is working the part time job at my business (a dance studio) as she would like to own her own dance school one day also.

I never said that a semester abroad isn't worth it. In fact, I think it would be a great experience......my sister studied abroad in London. What I said is that it wasn't financially in the cards for us and taking out loans wasn't an option for US. My daughter is a junior right now and mentioned a few months ago that she wanted to travel abroad this semester that starts in January. Had she made any indication she wanted to do this when she started college, or even a year ago, there would have been a plan/budget put in to place for that if possible.

Believe me when I tell you that none of my daughters have been limited in the opportunities or experiences they have had in life. They have goals and things they want to achieve and are working towards them. The DD that is not able to study abroad is not lacking in life experience and is hoping to safe enough money so that she can travel abroad when she graduates from college.
This is about where I'm at with this as well. I fully appreciate and realize what a great experience this could be. I knew that to be the case before I asked the question; but there are other ways to achieve great experiences on top of the other ones that she has already had. For US, for the money that would have to be paid for this experience, it has to primarily have an overall benefit for her marketability. That is the piece I still haven't been able to pin down. There has been a resounding "great experience" response - and I agree - but to us, it has to have this additional benefit.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #36
bellarella
DIS Veteran

Threads like these make me extremely grateful that it turned out my parents couldn't afford to really help with college and when I was 18, I was on my own.

Having a 100% independent life at 18 was worth every penny of student loans.

I get that parents should be able to say that they will contribute $X and only $X to college. I don't get why there should be a string that says, "and child isn't allowed to borrow more to do things like study abroad."

Oh, and travel abroad is nothing like study abroad. Working abroad would be a much closer substitute.
bellarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:22 AM   #37
LisaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarella View Post
Threads like these make me extremely grateful that it turned out my parents couldn't afford to really help with college and when I was 18, I was on my own.

I get that parents should be able to say that they will contribute $X and only $X to college. I don't get why there should be a string that says, "and child isn't allowed to borrow more to do things like study abroad."

Oh, and travel abroad is nothing like study abroad. Working abroad would be a much closer substitute.
Maybe I missed a post, but I didn't see a bunch of people saying they wouldn't allow their child to take out a loan to study abroad. I read that most expect their kid to contribute to the study abroad program. As a parent, they have X amount saved for college. Study abroad is considered extra and Junior needs to pay or contribute to that. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Now, if the only way a kid can secure a loan is to have the parent cosign and that parent is already paying for college, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to cosign.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #38
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellarella View Post

Like I said a few posts back......every family is different. We saved from the time our girls were born as we knew we wanted to help with their college educations as much as possible. We did not want them to have thousands of dollars in student loans from their undergrad.

I should add that helping to put them through college is a "4 year deal" only......not 4 1/2 or 5 years. Anything past 4 years is on their dime. We also strongly encouraged them to get their Master's degree, which my oldest is doing. That is also their responsibility. My oldest has a full time job that offers tuition assistance/reimbursement, which is helping to pay for grad school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
Maybe I missed a post, but I didn't see a bunch of people saying they wouldn't allow their child to take out a loan to study abroad. I read that most expect their kid to contribute to the study abroad program. As a parent, they have X amount saved for college. Study abroad is considered extra and Junior needs to pay or contribute to that. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Now, if the only way a kid can secure a loan is to have the parent cosign and that parent is already paying for college, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to cosign.
I agree. We sat down with our DD & talked about what it would take to secure a loan and what it would take to pay it back. At that point she decided it wasn't in her best interest to do that.

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:02 AM   #39
punkin
Went through pain just to look like a lopsided Whoopi Goldberg

DD did a summer abroad last year. She loved it and it was tied to one of her majors. Will it help her get a job? Who knows, but I felt it was worth it. About the money aspect...I only paid for about $500 of it. My FIL paid for about half; DD paid for half from her savings; and my MIL gave her spending money. I would not have wanted her to take out an extra loan for the summer, but had she been taking a loan for her regular schooling (which she does not, but I am not against them), I wouldn't mind the money being spent abroad rather than here.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:07 AM   #40
Eeyore'sthebest
DIS Veteran
Not So Tagless in NJ
They don't call them crackberries for nothing!
talk about chafing!

I studied abroad and I loved it. But I knew before I started college that I wanted to study abroad. I picked a school with a very comprehensive set of programs. It was similar to what one of the other posters mentioned.
Same college credits, same tuition room and board. Only paid for travel there and back and extras. I worked very hard over the summers to contribute to my educational costs and then worked during the school year. In fact, I believe I took about $2.000 with me in spending money (back in the mid-80s).

I also wanted to travel overseas after graduation. I came to my parents with a plan - how to finance, who I was traveling with, approximate countries I wanted to visit (western europe ) and about how long I had prior to running out of money. While I was definitely an adult and out of college, they had helped contribute to my college expenses and had co-signed loans with me. If I didn't have a job to start making loan payments then they were on the hook. I went with their blessing (6 weeks), came back and got a job.

My younger DSis got angry at my parents one day and screamed "But you let Allison do everything. She got to study abroad. She got to backpack around Europe. I never got to do anything." My parents looked at each other and then her and asked "Did you ever mention any of this to us before now?" So I agree that if someone is getting assistance with school than the parents have a say. Plan, prepare and bank some cash. That being said, I graduated with loans and paid them all off without my parents assistance as per our agreement.
Old 01-06-2013, 10:53 AM   #41
Riles_and_Gabe
DIS Veteran

I did a study abroad in Chile and it was an amazing experience. I think by far it was one of my best life experiences. I was a single Mom while in College and the school was fantastic about helping me make arrangements to bring my Son with me. My Son is now in High School and definitely plans on doing a study abroad while he is in College.

My Blog: Have Budget Will Travel

Riles_and_Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: