Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #16
MainStreetMomma
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 145

Everyone I know who did it says it was life changing and amazing, and most of my friends who didn't do it say they wish they did... so yes, I would say it probably is worth it.
__________________
MainStreetMomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:00 PM   #17
Disneefun
DIS Veteran
 
Disneefun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,754

I did it and loved it. I think marketability will depend on a couple of things. You say it's not focused on language, but if she comes away form the program fluent/or semi fluent in French, that will look good on a resume.

Also, you say she'll be working with other ad agencies. That, while maybe not looking like much on a resume (when compared to others with years of experience), might open up networking doors for her. If she does a good job, people might remember her and when it comes time to look for work they might help her out.

Finally, what university is it through? If it has a good reputation that will go a long way. I did my semester abroad at Oxford and people notice that name. If it's a great school, people will notice.

And beyond the marketability, like others have said, it opens up a kids' world view in a way nothing else does. Mine was 20 years ago and it remains one of the highest points in my life.
Disneefun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
dakcp2001
Am I wrong to want a cashier and bagger?
Chicken wings are his crack
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 5,340

There is so much more to a study abroad than just how it will look on a resume.
dakcp2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #19
foreUT
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 509

My dd was able to secure a position that literally dozens of others with jd's and ph.d's in international business were seeking because of (among other things) she had done a study-abroad program in China. I wouldn't say that was the only reason she was successful, but (from her perspective) it played a large part in her selection.

Last edited by foreUT; 12-28-2012 at 10:39 AM.
foreUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:10 PM   #20
Diet Dr Chill
Mouseketeer
 
Diet Dr Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 108

Study/work abroad was so worth it. So, so, so worth it.

Hopefully she won't go single and come back engaged like I did though.
__________________
Me (31) DH (31) DD (6)
Diet Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #21
mickeysgal
Orange you glad I like Knock Knock jokes?
"I am Mrs. Nesbitt" - Buzz Lightyear
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 6,661

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diet Dr Chill
Study/work abroad was so worth it. So, so, so worth it.

Hopefully she won't go single and come back engaged like I did though.
Well that must have been an interesting welcome home! Lol

we are looking at the details of the trip now - we need to make a decision by the end of January.
mickeysgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #22
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,500
DISboards Moderator

I am a huge advocate for study abroad. Sure, it's fun. BUT, it also allows our kids to see other parts of the world and see the differences in various cultures. And whether or not we choose to believe it, there are huge differences in various cultures when compared with our own. Add to that, the ability to take care of yourself a long way from home.

My dd will be studying in London for a semester. She is a freshman now, and will go as a junior. This program is a bit different. It IS their junior fall semester...they get full credit for it, and the only addl cost is the cost of getting to London and any out of pocket spending money. And, the entire theatre program goes as well as a lot of the English Lit kids. So, they go with people they already know as well as a professor they already know. This particular program has them doing a ton of stuff we could never do on our own.
I know that kids that have done this program have come home with life long friends in London!!!
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #23
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!
 
MELSMICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,192

One of my DD's wanted to study abroad this coming semester. For many different reasons we decided against it, number one being the financial impact it would have on our family.

We are paying for a large portion of our 3 DD's college educations. They will each have a very small student loan when they graduate. Actually, our oldest graduated in 2011 and will be done paying her loan very soon. She is now paying for her own grad school.

I know it would be a great experience for the DD that wanted to go and it broke our hearts to tell her no, as we don't say no to our DD's very often but it just wasn't financially feasible for us. Also, she didn't have a "budget plan/goal" to work towards the finances of it, which showed us that she wasn't that serious about it.

I think it's a great opportunity. In fact, one of my sisters studied in London many years ago. It just wasn't the right thing for our situation.
__________________
DVC owner at OKW & love it!!!

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #24
thedonduck
DIS Veteran
 
thedonduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!
Posts: 1,442

Honestly...choosing to study aboard was the best college decision I made!!! It was well worth the extra money (I think I paid about $3,000 more for tuition, and then spending/travel money while there). I tell EVERYONE if they want to go they should, no matter the cost. It will be cheaper while in college than any other point in their lives to go. I would have been pissed if my parents told me no. It is MY education (and in the end, my debt) and it is my decision. Yes my parents helped pay a bit of my college every year, yes I still am paying off loans, but truthfully there is NO way I would be the person I am today without going on my Study Aboard program. (FWIW...I was in London for 8 months)
__________________
Mom Dad DS (4 years) DD (2 years)DD (24 weeks)
Disney Cruise Line
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #25
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!
 
MELSMICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Honestly...choosing to study aboard was the best college decision I made!!! It was well worth the extra money (I think I paid about $3,000 more for tuition, and then spending/travel money while there). I tell EVERYONE if they want to go they should, no matter the cost. It will be cheaper while in college than any other point in their lives to go. I would have been pissed if my parents told me no. It is MY education (and in the end, my debt) and it is my decision. Yes my parents helped pay a bit of my college every year, yes I still am paying off loans, but truthfully there is NO way I would be the person I am today without going on my Study Aboard program. (FWIW...I was in London for 8 months)
That's why the decision is different for everyone.

I don't know what your situation was with your family/your parents, just like you don't know the dynamics of or the decisions that our family makes.

We decided early on that having excessive student loans was not something we wanted our DD's to start their adult lives with. Putting three of them through college, including two at private universities, has meant sacrificing some other things along the way. This was something that had to be sacrificed for her. We were not willing to take out loans for this and did not want her to either.

I still think it would be a great experience and a great opportunity for anyone that goes. It just didn't work for her. While she wasn't 100% happy about it, she understands it.
__________________
DVC owner at OKW & love it!!!

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:22 AM   #26
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,500
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Honestly...choosing to study aboard was the best college decision I made!!! It was well worth the extra money (I think I paid about $3,000 more for tuition, and then spending/travel money while there). I tell EVERYONE if they want to go they should, no matter the cost. It will be cheaper while in college than any other point in their lives to go. I would have been pissed if my parents told me no. It is MY education (and in the end, my debt) and it is my decision. Yes my parents helped pay a bit of my college every year, yes I still am paying off loans, but truthfully there is NO way I would be the person I am today without going on my Study Aboard program. (FWIW...I was in London for 8 months)
And that's fine. But, for those families struggling to pay room/board/tuition, study abroad may not be feasible. Since you paid for your college costs, and then paid for your study abroad, you were the one who could make that decision.
My dd will have some student debt....otherwise, we are paying for her college costs. She is expected to pay for her books, as well as any day to day expenses....going out, movies, that sort of thing. Her food is paid for by us. So, when it comes time for her to do study abroad, she knows that she is expected to pay towards that experience. Not the whole thing but some of it. She has a summer job, she is doing work study at school...so she will be able to put money aside for it. Up to her how much money she takes with her to London.

But, not every family can afford study abroad, especially if it isn't part of the normal costs for the college.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #27
thedonduck
DIS Veteran
 
thedonduck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: From the home of the Pack to the house of the mouse!
Posts: 1,442

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELSMICE View Post
That's why the decision is different for everyone.

I don't know what your situation was with your family/your parents, just like you don't know the dynamics of or the decisions that our family makes.

We decided early on that having excessive student loans was not something we wanted our DD's to start their adult lives with. Putting three of them through college, including two at private universities, has meant sacrificing some other things along the way. This was something that had to be sacrificed for her. We were not willing to take out loans for this and did not want her to either.

I still think it would be a great experience and a great opportunity for anyone that goes. It just didn't work for her. While she wasn't 100% happy about it, she understands it.
Honestly that wasn't pointed at you at all. I was just saying in general, if my parents told me at age 20 (the age I was when I went) that I couldn't go because they couldn't afford it I would have probably laughed in their face. I love my parents to death, I was/am a good kid who listens and respects my parents, but at age 20, etc.... I was/am an adult and made my own decisions . I understand the wanting of your children to come out of school as debt free as possible, but like I said it was MY decision to go and MY debt to bear. And yes, 4 years later I'm still working on paying off my college loan (I stay home with my kids now, so less income coming in or it would have been paid off a long time ago), BUT it truly is an experience you can't get at any other time of your life!


Quote:
Originally Posted by goofy4tink View Post
And that's fine. But, for those families struggling to pay room/board/tuition, study abroad may not be feasible. Since you paid for your college costs, and then paid for your study abroad, you were the one who could make that decision.
My dd will have some student debt....otherwise, we are paying for her college costs. She is expected to pay for her books, as well as any day to day expenses....going out, movies, that sort of thing. Her food is paid for by us. So, when it comes time for her to do study abroad, she knows that she is expected to pay towards that experience. Not the whole thing but some of it. She has a summer job, she is doing work study at school...so she will be able to put money aside for it. Up to her how much money she takes with her to London.

But, not every family can afford study abroad, especially if it isn't part of the normal costs for the college.
This is exactly what I did...I nannied full time for a family (over 40 hours a week) and had a "part time" job working as a receptionist at a hospital (usually 30 hours) during the summer. Did it stink working that much...you bet! However, was London the BEST semester of my college career (not just socially/culturally, but academically)...you betcha!!

I guess I was also so independent from my parents. I truly don't understand why it is a "family" decision. Like I said, it was my choice, my debt!
__________________
Mom Dad DS (4 years) DD (2 years)DD (24 weeks)
Disney Cruise Line
*Magic - Oct. 2009 (Honeymoon) 7 Night Western Caribbean*Wonder - Oct 2010 4 Night Bahamas *Dream - July 2011 5 Night Double Dip *Fantasy - September 2013 7 Night Eastern Caribbean *Magic - April 2014 4 Night Bahamas *Wonder- Oct 2014 4 Night Double Dip *Fantasy- Oct 2015- 7 Night Eastern Caribbean

WDW- Too many times to count
Resorts: POP, All Star Sports, Saratoga Springs, Contemporary, Animal Kingdom Kidani Village, Port Orleans-Riverside

A cheesehead who moved to Mouse World... hope we don't melt
thedonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #28
Diet Dr Chill
Mouseketeer
 
Diet Dr Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 108

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeysgal View Post
Well that must have been an interesting welcome home! Lol

we are looking at the details of the trip now - we need to make a decision by the end of January.
My family was fairly indifferent to the news until they met him a few months later and really liked him. Same can't be said for my in-laws. They lost their *#&% with rage when my husband told them about being engaged to me (they thought we were too young). Ah, memories.

Hard to believe that was nearly 10 years ago now (been married for 8). Where did time go?

Good luck with the decision making.
__________________
Me (31) DH (31) DD (6)
Diet Dr Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #29
MELSMICE
Hi Ho, Hi Ho, to Disney World we'll go. It'll be such fun for everyone, Hi Ho, Hi Ho!
Don't look now but the Tag Fairy is behind you!!!
 
MELSMICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 11,192

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Honestly that wasn't pointed at you at all. I was just saying in general, if my parents told me at age 20 (the age I was when I went) that I couldn't go because they couldn't afford it I would have probably laughed in their face. I love my parents to death, I was/am a good kid who listens and respects my parents, but at age 20, etc.... I was/am an adult and made my own decisions . I understand the wanting of your children to come out of school as debt free as possible, but like I said it was MY decision to go and MY debt to bear. And yes, 4 years later I'm still working on paying off my college loan (I stay home with my kids now, so less income coming in or it would have been paid off a long time ago), BUT it truly is an experience you can't get at any other time of your life!

This is exactly what I did...I nannied full time for a family (over 40 hours a week) and had a "part time" job working as a receptionist at a hospital (usually 30 hours) during the summer. Did it stink working that much...you bet! However, was London the BEST semester of my college career (not just socially/culturally, but academically)...you betcha!!

I guess I was also so independent from my parents. I truly don't understand why it is a "family" decision. Like I said, it was my choice, my debt!
It was not a "family decision"......it's what best for our family as a whole at this point.

It's not that we could not afford it. In fact, there is money sitting in a bank account that can pay for it, however, as we don't have unlimited funds, that would mean putting our family Hawaii trip, scheduled for next December, on hold or canceling it. So the finances of sending just her abroad would impact our entire family (as well as other members of our family who we have been planning this trip with for a few years now). Honestly, selfish as it may seem, I wasn't willing to do that.

I should add that she had choices in the matter as to whether to go or not and whether she was willing to sacrifice a few things. She works between 12-18 hours per week. She puts a portion of that in savings, pays a small fee for auto insurance and something towards a car payment. The rest is for gas and her own expenditures. We pay for a large majority of her car and the remainder of insurance. We gave her the option of giving up her car in order to study abroad as we would have put the money towards the study abroad fees. She did not want to do that.

She wanted to take out a loan for it, however, after sitting down with her, looking at all the options of that, including how long it would take her to pay it back she also decided it probably wasn't the best option. That doesn't mean she wasn't disappointed, but the reality was affordability.
__________________
DVC owner at OKW & love it!!!

DH & I DD24 DD21 DD21
MELSMICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:37 PM   #30
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania
 
goofy4tink's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Central Ma
Posts: 48,500
DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedonduck View Post
Honestly that wasn't pointed at you at all. I was just saying in general, if my parents told me at age 20 (the age I was when I went) that I couldn't go because they couldn't afford it I would have probably laughed in their face. I love my parents to death, I was/am a good kid who listens and respects my parents, but at age 20, etc.... I was/am an adult and made my own decisions . I understand the wanting of your children to come out of school as debt free as possible, but like I said it was MY decision to go and MY debt to bear. And yes, 4 years later I'm still working on paying off my college loan (I stay home with my kids now, so less income coming in or it would have been paid off a long time ago), BUT it truly is an experience you can't get at any other time of your life!




This is exactly what I did...I nannied full time for a family (over 40 hours a week) and had a "part time" job working as a receptionist at a hospital (usually 30 hours) during the summer. Did it stink working that much...you bet! However, was London the BEST semester of my college career (not just socially/culturally, but academically)...you betcha!!

I guess I was also so independent from my parents. I truly don't understand why it is a "family" decision. Like I said, it was my choice, my debt!
And because you were the one paying the bills, you got to make the decisions. But, for those kids, like my dd, that are paying a very minimal amount (and that won't be until she graduates!!) toward college costs, it is a family decision. We pay what we can pay. My dh and I are already forgoing some things in order to pay for her college. She chose a private college vs a state school. The state school would have had an impact on family finances but nothing like the private school. So, we make sacrifices. And yes, she gets to study abroad. But not every family is able to do that...as in below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by MELSMICE View Post
It was not a "family decision"......it's what best for our family as a whole at this point.

It's not that we could not afford it. In fact, there is money sitting in a bank account that can pay for it, however, as we don't have unlimited funds, that would mean putting our family Hawaii trip, scheduled for next December, on hold or canceling it. So the finances of sending just her abroad would impact our entire family (as well as other members of our family who we have been planning this trip with for a few years now). Honestly, selfish as it may seem, I wasn't willing to do that.

I should add that she had choices in the matter as to whether to go or not and whether she was willing to sacrifice a few things. She works between 12-18 hours per week. She puts a portion of that in savings, pays a small fee for auto insurance and something towards a car payment. The rest is for gas and her own expenditures. We pay for a large majority of her car and the remainder of insurance. We gave her the option of giving up her car in order to study abroad as we would have put the money towards the study abroad fees. She did not want to do that.

She wanted to take out a loan for it, however, after sitting down with her, looking at all the options of that, including how long it would take her to pay it back she also decided it probably wasn't the best option. That doesn't mean she wasn't disappointed, but the reality was affordability.
Been there, still doing that. Loans seem like an okay thing now, but when they get out of school with close to $100,000 in debt?? Yeah, not so wonderful.
goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.