Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 11:55 PM   #1
Wendy Darling CA
Earning My Ears

Why the age difference for Atlantis vs Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim?

Does anyone know why the Atlantis Dolphin Swim age requirement is 10, but the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim is only 6? My son is almost 8 and I would much prefer to do the Atlantis version.... It looks like our only option for the swim is to book Blue Lagoon.

Me, DH, DS (7)
Wendy Darling CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:59 AM   #2
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Why usually has to do with the private tour operator.

DCL is TOTALLY strict about the ages listed for excursions. THere is no wiggle room, not even one day! For a great dolphin experience, spend a little time in Orlando and do Discovery Cove. It was better than anything we did on any island.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-29-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

Blue Lagoon Island was Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendy Darling CA View Post
Does anyone know why the Atlantis Dolphin Swim age requirement is 10, but the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim is only 6? My son is almost 8 and I would much prefer to do the Atlantis version.... It looks like our only option for the swim is to book Blue Lagoon.
Sorry for the late reply, but we just returned from out of town. My DD (8 at the time) and DH did the dolphin swim at Blue Lagoon Island this past February. DD is a real animal lover and I knew that the shallow water encounter would not satisfy her. The excursion was a fantastic experience from start to finish. The participants spent quite a bit of time in the water and experienced a wide variety of interactions with the dolphins. The trainers were knowledgeable and fun. The foot push at the end was the icing on the cake. I went as an observer and got lots of great photos, but we did buy a couple of their photos as well. It was a wonderful experience for all of us, and one that I know my DD will never forget!

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
bahacca
Mouseketeer

A friend of mine did Discovery cove about a year ago and had nothing but glowing reviews. I know my kids would prefer the foot push and such to just being able to basically pet the dolphin(which is my understanding of what Atlantis is)

Does anyone have pricing on Discovery Cove in FL? Never mind. Found it.
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
BeardedDragons
Earning My Ears

A few years ago we took a trip to Atlantis. My DS8 (at the time) also loves marine life. We did the shallow encounter due to age restrictions set by Atlantis. The trainer asked us why we weren't doing the swim as my son was so involved and knowledgeable (and big for his age). I told her he was only 8 and she acknowledged that it was too bad, he had to be 10 for the swim. On this same trip I booked the Blue Lagoon Dolphin Swim (knowing the encounter would not be enough for my DS). It was amazing. We danced, hugged and got kissed by the dolphins and also received a foot push (DS received his footpush from Jake, who starred as 'Flipper' in the movies. So much interaction and a beautiful island. There are different levels of interaction at Blue Lagoon too (observer, encounter and swim). Enjoy!

---
WDW, Pop Century ~ Jan 2014 | Atlantis ~ July 2013 | Fantasy ~ Jan 2013 | Magic ~ Jan 2012 | WDW, Off-site ~ Dec 2011 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Jun 2011 | Wonder ~ Dec 2010 | WDW, ASSports ~ Dec 2010 | Atlantis ~ May 2010 | WDW, ASMovies ~ Dec 2009 | Quebec City & Nova Scotia ~ July 2009 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2008 | WDW, ASMovies ~ May 2007 | WDW, Off-site ~ Feb 1987
BeardedDragons is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: