Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 12:37 PM   #91
DisneyZell
Likes Adventures on the High Seas

Day 6: Day at Sea, and pins part 2

As we were without kids we did a lot more adult type stuff than we normally had before and one of the things we chose to do was New World Wine Tasting. This was white wines. They had a guy from Palo there to present the wines and takes us through how to taste and evaluate the wines. It ended up being 4 different wines, and 1 sparkling wine. The cost was $15.

Here are our wine glasses filled...er....filled up?

DW getting ready to taste

Aw, aren't we cute.

Overall I would have to say this was not worth the cost. The total amount of wine wasn't even a full glass…not that I need to get hammered at something like that…but for $15, you would figure you would get at least a couple glasses of wine worth. We thought maybe all of these types of things were like this…but would find out later that it wasn't the case.

The guy from Palo did a nice job…it just felt kind of chinsey. I don't think that is even a word…but I've made up words before and see no reason to stop now! Adding insult to injury I only liked two of the wines…so that made it worse. However, we did get a free pin which we then traded for pins our kids would like…so that worked out well. But I have to say on the new world white wine tasting I would not waste my time. We did not do the red wines so I don't know if it is the same amount of wine. I know quite a few of you DISers did do it….so maybe you can weigh in here?

After that it was time to head to the pool. No kids…so we wanted to be at the adult pool but there was not any room. This was an issue this whole cruise…partly because of the number of adults, and partly because people reserve their chair with towels and just go elsewhere. I know at one point I walked by 3-4 times over a couple of hours an the same chairs never had any rear ends in the seat even though they had stuff and/or towels laid out. Kind of annoying, but it is what it is. We headed up to deck 10 and found some empty seats. I'm not a huge sit in the sun guy anyway, so I was in the shade curled up with my book. Now *that* is my idea of relaxation. Lose yourself in a book….nice! DW spends her time chasing the sun.

Tonight was Formal night, and before that was the Captains Reception. Before we went out we tried pictures with our timer again. At this point I was stacking stuff on top of stuff and putting my camera on that. I believe in this one the camera was stacked on top of 4 lifejackets. Hey, it works!

Yup, I clean up well. If only DW didn't look so dang good thus making me look so darn bad! You're hot stuff Babycakes!

We brought our camera along and took a few pictures…or rather had some other guests take pictures.

****tip****
If you don't want to spend a bunch at Shutters, go to the pictures spots with a friend or make friends with people in line so that you can take their picture and vice versa. That way you can get all the cool pictures without paying the shutters prices. Since we are solo on this cruise and there weren't any of our DIS friends there we made friends with the folks around us to get the pictures.

HOWEVER, if there is a Disney employee with the photographer you can get them to take the picture. This is typically when there is a character involved. You can tell by the name tag. Although the Shutters folks have a similarly shaped name tag it does not say Disney on it…those folks will not take a picture of you with your camera, only the ones that work for the company.

With the tree on Deck 3

With Goofy. We had a good laugh that it looks like Deanna has giant whiskers because of Goofy's!

DW overlooking the atrium

Dinner was at Tritons, DW had Crispy Ravioli (I think I had this too and it was yummy), Broccoli & Blue Cheese soup (also very good, note above I complained about the food, but the soups on this cruise were fabulous. I don't think I had a bad soup the whole time, including an avocado soup at lunchtime of, I think, Panama Canal day. I actually had two servings of that. Yum!!!), and Turkey Dinner (I did not have that. If I am thinking of the right day I had Escargot. But that might have been the first tritons day. See what happens when DW doesn't write down what I ha to eat?? What kind of journaling is that???).

Here is our group at dinner. Good looking group!

Tonight was Golden Mickey's…but we have both seen that many times so we opted to go to see Lincoln in the Buena Vista Theater instead. Good call. That was a terrific movie which we both really enjoyed. The actor that portrayed Lincoln did a terrific job, and of course it was about a very interesting time in our country's history. Definitely a must see, and I assume it will win some awards

It's late again…quick snap of the towel animal (and formal shirt) and off to bed for us.

cool stuff!

Mr. rabbit just hanging out

Thanks for sticking with me!

Next up: Day 7 day at sea…again?
DisneyZell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #92
iloverags2
DIS Veteran

Dolphin! How cool!!!

And you had Sasha at Palo....BEST. SERVER. EVAH! He was our regular dining server back on our first Disney cruise in 2000, and then we had him again in Palo in May 2012...still as good now as he was back in 2000.

Thanks for the heads-up on the wine tasting. I have always wanted to do one of those, but may pass now. The Margarita/Tequila tasting I went to was ok (several issues with it actually), but at least we got our money's worth. Three full shots of Patron, and two mini margaritas. All for $15.

Really enjoying your report!

iloverags2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-18-2013, 07:39 PM   #93
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

I didn't do any wine tastings myself, but Jim did all of them. He says the wine pour got better as the cruise progressed. It all depended on the bartenders, not the wine steward that gave the talk.
I did do a martini tasting and the chocolate tasting, and enjoyed both.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 07:46 PM   #94
KevieKev05
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
May I ask what was offered at the chocolate tasting? I'm intrigued and may potentially be interested in doing it in May! Thank you!
January 21, 2011: 2-night Disney Dream (Benefit Preview Cruise) / February 3, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream - TRIP REPORT
May 14, 2011: 14-night Disney Magic (Eastbound Transatlantic) - TRIP REPORT / November 17, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream - TRIP REPORT
December 8, 2011: 3-night Disney Dream / July 28, 2012: 7-night Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean)
September 7, 2012: 5-night Disney Magic (Canada/New England Coast) / December 6, 2012: 3-night Disney Dream
May 6, 2013: 14-night Disney Wonder (Westbound Panama Canal) / December 13, 2013: 5-night Disney Magic (Western Caribbean)
April 5, 2014: 7-night Disney Fantasy (Eastern Caribbean) / September 1, 2014: 7-night Disney Wonder (Alaska)

KevieKev05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 11:09 PM   #95
WestCoastNovaks
Earning My Ears

There's a chocolate tasting?!?! Count me in! Hopefully they will have it on the May Westbound Panama Canal.
Seattle, WA

2014 Aulani DVC - April
2013 14 Day WBPC on the Wonder - May
2010 7 Day Caribbean on the Magic - December
2009 4 Day Caribbean on the Wonder - September
WestCoastNovaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #96
tokyodisneydad
DIS Veteran

Details? Details? Where are the details. I mean I need to know what wines they gave you to taste.
You are right, they looked to be a little stingy on the pouring there.
A proper tasting pour is 4 oz, but I prefer a bit more. Maybe if they don't pour me enough I will have to ask for a bit more.

I'm also surprised they seperated it into Red and White. Heck I can taste 5 white and then 5 red....throw in a couple of sparkiling and maybe even an ice wine and I am happy.

Did you sign up for that the first day?

Join THE DIS DAD'S CLUB Here![/QUOTE]
tokyodisneydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 AM   #97
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great TR
The pictures of you both zip lining are great - looks like so much fun
Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your cruise
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #98
pharmjenn
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevieKev05 View Post
May I ask what was offered at the chocolate tasting? I'm intrigued and may potentially be interested in doing it in May! Thank you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastNovaks View Post
There's a chocolate tasting?!?! Count me in! Hopefully they will have it on the May Westbound Panama Canal.

We were the test subjects for the chocolate tasting. It was run by Sasha, the Head Sommelier (don't confuse him with Sasha the waiter, or call him anything but the HEAD Sommelier, he gets very indignant) It was Godiva chocolates, a white, milk and a dark chocolate. Both hard and melted varieties. We tasted them with different drinks, I don't remember which ones, but there was a champagne and a Whisky that had a distinct chocolate flavor. Supposedly the whisky is not for sale onboard, as they only had the one bottle.
This tasting was also more expensive than the regular tastings, at $30. It was interesting, and my DH signed me up as the last participant so he couldn't join me. I don't think I would do that one again, but I bet they will offer it on the longer cruises.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokyodisneydad View Post
We signed up for all our tastings on the day of or day prior. Since our sailing wasn't full, that may have been the exception. The chocolate tasting was the only one that we almost missed out on. At others, there were empty seats, so obviously not sold out. Nice, because the bartenders poured for the scheduled numbers, so anyone seated near the empty seats got extra drinks.
pharmjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:55 PM   #99
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Details? Details? Where are the details. I mean I need to know what wines they gave you to taste.
A proper tasting pour is 4 oz, but I prefer a bit more. Maybe if they don't pour me enough I will have to ask for a bit more.

I'm also surprised they seperated it into Red and White. Heck I can taste 5 white and then 5 red....throw in a couple of sparkiling and maybe even an ice wine and I am happy.

Good luck with the details!! Since I didn't write the wines down, I know Drew will not remember them either! Just not impressed overall. Not only did they separate the tastings into red and white, it was new world red, new world white, old world red and old world white. Maybe if they combined all four of them into one tasting, you might get 1 full glass of wine However, when it comes to the details of the mixology, I have it covered as I wrote down all the drinks (just for you!)...you'll have to stay tuned for that part of the report, though and we all know that could take a long time
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #100
dededisney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharmjenn View Post
I didn't do any wine tastings myself, but Jim did all of them. He says the wine pour got better as the cruise progressed. It all depended on the bartenders, not the wine steward that gave the talk.
And we missed you! Had fun with Jim, though!
dededisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:47 PM   #101
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloverags2 View Post
Dolphin! How cool!!!

And you had Sasha at Palo....BEST. SERVER. EVAH! He was our regular dining server back on our first Disney cruise in 2000, and then we had him again in Palo in May 2012...still as good now as he was back in 2000.

Thanks for the heads-up on the wine tasting. I have always wanted to do one of those, but may pass now. The Margarita/Tequila tasting I went to was ok (several issues with it actually), but at least we got our money's worth. Three full shots of Patron, and two mini margaritas. All for $15.

Really enjoying your report!
Yup, Sasha was good. Too bad he didn't cook the food! You will hear more about our other tasting which was much better!

Quote:

How long have you been following my Tr's? you surely do not expect me to give you details! These pours were definitely *not* 4 oz. Almost a dribble in the bottom of the glass!

We signed up after a few days. As mentioned, some of the things filled up, but most did not. I think because it was a longer cruise there was more space. On a regular 7 day I'd do it pretty quickly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great TR
The pictures of you both zip lining are great - looks like so much fun
Looking forward to hearing about the rest of your cruise
Thanks! Appreciate the kind comments!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dededisney View Post
Good luck with the details!! Since I didn't write the wines down, I know Drew will not remember them either! Just not impressed overall. Not only did they separate the tastings into red and white, it was new world red, new world white, old world red and old world white. Maybe if they combined all four of them into one tasting, you might get 1 full glass of wine However, when it comes to the details of the mixology, I have it covered as I wrote down all the drinks (just for you!)...you'll have to stay tuned for that part of the report, though and we all know that could take a long time
Ahem...now that is not very nice. it might...or it might not take me a long time. That's what makes it fun to follow my TR's...you never know if it will be a long time between episodes...or very short. I like to keep the intrigue!!!

Thanks everyone!

DZ
Old 01-21-2013, 11:25 PM   #102
Brixton
From the world's best Eco-Village all the way to the Wonder

Just want to say "thanks" for the great TR. It is full of amusing anecdotes and I appreciate the frank assessments... tiger cubs, canopy tour,Wal-Mart, wine tasting, chair holders, et.al.. We are on WB in May and EB in Sep.

(Actually, we wanted to join all of you on this one in December, but Dh kept telling me to "book next week"...and VGT disappeared)

WONDERful Land/Sea; WONDERful Pixar 2012; WONDERful WBPC 2013; WONDERful Bahamas 2014; WONDERful EBPC 2014; DL AP's since...forever
Brixton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:12 AM   #103
DisneyZell

Day 7 day at sea…again?

Like everyone I really enjoy the sea days. No pressure...no need to get off the boat...just floating along. And usually there are a few more activities to do...today was no exception.

Last night was rockin' and rollin'. I don't normally notice, but this was one night that almost rolled me out of bed a few times. I haven't experienced it many times on the Cruise ships, and now I know why the closets have velcro to keep them closed (if you haven't been on a ship you will know what I mean when you go to hang your clothes. You look at that and wonder why. And then you rock and roll).

DW got up early, as usual, while I kept sleeping. But since we were moving so fast it was pretty windy, so no balcony for her. Hmmm, might have been a convenient time for a tablet that is back-lit to read by! ha!!

On another note, Apparently I got lazy at this point and did not do any more writing while on-board the ship. So from here on out I must rely solely on my memory (AAAAGH!! ), and Deanna's Journal. You might think this means I have to be nice to her. No way! have you read the things she has said to me???

I finally rolled out of bed around 8:30am, yup I got up early. BBB for breakfast, yup another stack of bacon and syrup. And yes I'm now paying for it and dieting to try to get rid of the pounds I added because of the bacon and syrup. Evil Syrup!

Each day during the cruise they were offering some information about the Panama Canal given by a former pilot of the canal when the USA ran it. This guy was fantastic and we headed over there to watch his presentation. He does a nice job of taking you through what was going on at the time, the politics, etc. It was quite the area taken up by our military at the time, above and beyond the feat that was the Canal itself! He also threw in some very funny stories about his interactions with the captains as they went across. Apparently he even got to know some of the ship captains because they came through there so many times. Pretty amazing stuff.

After that we put on our suits in hopes we could plop by the adult pool for a while. But as we didn't go up at 8am and put a towel on the chairs no luck so we went to the Goofy pool. It's funny, I always thought that when I didn't have my kids I would never go near the Goofy pool, but given that they play movies, etc., it's actually quite nice. Frankly it would be cool if they put a smaller funnel vision by the adult pool and played other movies.

On that front a rant which I don't think I have done yet. Movies. It was very annoying to us that there were not movies running non-stop. This included the funnel vision which for long, LONG stretches of time was not playing anything. This was kind of annoying. Not sure why they wouldn't always have TV shows, movies, whatever playing up there. I was disappointed by that. Same goes for BV Theater...why the big gaps in time? But now that I'm saying this I feel like I already ranted on this. I'm showing my old age again!

One of the things that Jeff from the Disboards did for us on this cruise was setting up the stateroom crawl. I know I already hinted at this and it does not include any alcohol. But he did, with the help of donations from other Disers, get a door prize for each room. Basically we were able to tour a room at each of the different category levels, starting from the lowest and working their way up. This was great. We met in the atrium and drew numbers for the door prizes.

Everyone gathered together and headed out.

Here are lots and lots of pictures of cabins. We started with a cabin on Deck 1, saw inside, ocean view, veranda, Handicap veranda, 1 bedroom suite and both the Roy and Walt Disney suites.

Room 1041

Room 2048

Room 6048
Old 01-22-2013, 11:14 AM   #104
DisneyZell

Day 7 Day at sea…again? page 2

Sorry about yet again breaking this up, but the Disboards only allow 25 images per post. What's up with that???

Room 7606

Room 8558

Room 8100 (1 bedroom suite I believe)

8100 part 2

8100 part 3

8100 part 4

8100 part 5

8100 part 6

I think you can figure out what this is

Entry

Dining room

Sitting room. who doesn't need one of those??

Master

Master bath 1

Master bath 2

Master bath 3

2nd bedroom

2nd bathroom

handicap veranda room veranda. This thing was huge. We could have had the deck party here!

This was a great activity, hopefully other disers do the same thing. Of course we were lucky to include the Roy and Walt Suites as a part of our meet...I've always wanted to know what those suites look like. Yeah...I'd be ok staying there.

The show tonight was the Comedy and Magic of Scott Pepper. Very, very good. amazing how magicians do their thing. I'm always floored about that stuff.

so just a warning, in the coming days there are not as many pictures until we get to the Panama Canal. So those of you who are visual...might have to suck it up for that period of time.

Anyway, I leave you with the usual:

Thanks again for sticking with me through this! Let me know if you have any questions.

DZ
Old 01-22-2013, 11:16 AM   #105
DisneyZell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brixton View Post
Just want to say "thanks" for the great TR. It is full of amusing anecdotes and I appreciate the frank assessments... tiger cubs, canopy tour,Wal-Mart, wine tasting, chair holders, et.al.. We are on WB in May and EB in Sep.

(Actually, we wanted to join all of you on this one in December, but Dh kept telling me to "book next week"...and VGT disappeared)
Thanks and welcome aboard. Yikes on the VGT disappearing, though we did IGT and upgraded at the port...so that's an option for next time. Of course you always want to book what you would be ok taking...we were ok being inside if we couldn't upgrade. Would have been quite a culture shock for us though!!

DZ

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: