Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 04:35 PM   #1
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Things that can or can't be brought on

I know there is tons of food and drink available on the cruise, but we are staying at the Ron Jon Resort for 2 days post cruise. I will not have a car so I want to bring some snacks and drinks for those days. Are there any restrictions to what food or drink can be brought on ship? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #2
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineNJ View Post
I know there is tons of food and drink available on the cruise, but we are staying at the Ron Jon Resort for 2 days post cruise. I will not have a car so I want to bring some snacks and drinks for those days. Are there any restrictions to what food or drink can be brought on ship? Thanks and Merry Christmas to all!
From the DCL websit:

Question
What food or food storage containers are not permitted?

Answer
Food coolers containing personal snack foods and drinks may not be brought onboard. They are only permitted if needed for medications, baby food or items related to special dietary needs.

Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items plus any open snack containers cannot be brought on board. Limitations on permitted food items are directly related to concerns for food safety and contamination prevention.

Disney Cruise Line regrets that the crew members on board are unable to provide food preparation, refrigeration or storage for personal food or beverage items. Disney Cruise Line cannot verify the cleanliness of the environment in which pre-cooked or homemade food items were prepared, and so for the safety of all Guests and crew, these items are not permitted aboard the ship.

The following electrical appliances are not permitted on board due to safety concerns: rice cookers, hot plates, coffee makers, bottle sterilizers and bottle warmers, electric blankets, electric blenders. A limited number of approved bottle warmers and bottle sterilizers are available upon request through Guest Services. In addition, Guests can request hot water to be delivered to their stateroom at any time from Room Service.

Alcohol is permitted on board. However, be aware that any fragile items (including bottled alcohol) must be hand-carried on board in a day bag and/or carry-on bag, the dimensions of which cannot exceed 22" wide, 14" high and 9" deep. Alcohol brought on board may not be consumed in any lounge or public area. Guests who arrive in the dining room with a bottle of champagne or wine that has been brought on board will be charged a corking fee of $20.00 per bottle.

Please be advised: Disney Cruise Line reserves the right to remove fragile items (including beverages) from luggage. In such cases, items will be stored and returned at the end of the voyage. Beverage containers are considered fragile and have previously caused damage in checked luggage. All fragile items must be transported inside carry-on luggage.

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
sunshineNJ
DIS Veteran

Does this mean I can't even bring on a box of Cheeze its or small bottles of water? I guess not. Is there a nearby supermarket that a taxi could stop at between getting off the boat and the Ron Jon resort?

Thanks
sunshineNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
shoes99
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Does this mean I can't even bring on a box of Cheeze its or small bottles of water? I guess not. Is there a nearby supermarket that a taxi could stop at between getting off the boat and the Ron Jon resort?

Thanks
You can bring on unopened pre-packaged snacks and all the unopened bottled water, soda, beer, wine that you want as long as it fits in your carryon bag and goes thru the security scanner.
Only opened food/snacks/beverages are not permitted as other posters have said.
Not sure what food markets are close to your hotel.

shoes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 PM   #5
Namsupak
DIS Veteran

I believe there is a limit on the amount of alcohol that you can bring, not sure exactly but I thought it was a bottle or two of wine and a case of beer.

WDW: 1998, March 2002, Dec 2006, Dec 2007, May 2008, Sept 2008, Dec 2009, Sept 2010, Jan 2011, July 2011, Jan 2012, Feb 2012, Aug 2012, Dec 2012
DCL: June 2008, Feb 2009, Dec 2009, Nov 2010, Jan 2011 (MV Dream), WBTA Sept 2011, Dec 2011, NYE Dream 2011-12, Jan 2012, March 2012 MV Fantasy, Dec 2012 Fantasy, May 2013 WBPC, Jan 2014
DLP: Sept 5, 2011
Coming Up: Sept 2014 WBTA
Namsupak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #6
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

The DCL restrictions were quoted above by Princess Shmoo. The list says nothing about a maximum limit.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #7
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Homemade, pre-cooked or other perishable items
It's the "other perishable items" that gets me. Will the Clif Mojo Bars I want to bring along expire? Yes, in a year or so. Takes longer to do so than something could make. But still, they expire. So is "other perishable items" modifying homemade, or is it its own thing?

Eh, I'm sure they'd be fine with manufactured protein bars...but the wording leaves it too much in the air for me.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
I believe there is a limit on the amount of alcohol that you can bring, not sure exactly but I thought it was a bottle or two of wine and a case of beer.
The only limit to the amount of alcohol (or any beverages) you may bring onboard is the limit of how much you feel you can handle, as you must carry any beverages onboard with you. They cannot be in your checked bags.

This is DCLs policy. Other cruiselines have limits.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 12-25-2012, 11:56 PM   #9
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
It's the "other perishable items" that gets me. Will the Clif Mojo Bars I want to bring along expire? Yes, in a year or so. Takes longer to do so than something could make. But still, they expire. So is "other perishable items" modifying homemade, or is it its own thing?

Eh, I'm sure they'd be fine with manufactured protein bars...but the wording leaves it too much in the air for me.
Perishable items would be like eggs, meat, dairy. Stuff with no preservatives in them.

If you stay with pre-packaged, manufactured products, you'll be fine.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 AM   #10
rcchello
DIS Veteran

Since you want to take food items off the ship you also have to worry about U.S. regulations that say you may not bring fresh fruit and other types of food items off the ship. I don't know all the items but I remember on our last cruise a family was stopped for trying to bring a banana off the ship. The beagle they use stopped in front of the peoples luggage and got rewarded for finding the item.

Bob
OKW - SSR
Next Trip - Who knows???

Just because it worked for me or worked this way in the past or is part of the great Dis lore is no reason it will work this way in the future. Depending on the CM you get, new interpretation of the rules, changes in rules, weather over the Himalayas, your results may be different.
rcchello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:45 AM   #11
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namsupak View Post
There is no limit to the amount you can bring on with you beyond what you can place in your carry on luggage. The amount of alcohol you can purchase outside of the US and take OFF the ship is limited. However, if you buy alcohol in the US and save the receipt, it will not count against the Customs allowance.

As noted above, you can bring any amount of non-perishable, unopened boxed of stuff that you want.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:02 PM   #12
ohanaMAMA
DIS Veteran

There is a grocery store not far from Ron Jon.. I bet it wouldnt cost very much at all to zip over there in a taxi. Id rather do that than have to mess with taking up space in an already small cabin!
08' Mommy and Daddy ALONE on the WONDER!
'10 POR took our niece Patience with us!
'12 POFQ with the Reeses and the Stickles

ohanaMAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:44 PM   #13
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Thanks
You can bring pre-packaged snacks like a box of Cheez Its and bottled water. What you cannot do is pack them in a cooler or put your bottles in checked luggage.

Quote:
they are not talking about energy bars. They mean things like eggs and milk.

Alcohol is as much as you can carry, but you must carry it onboard with you, no coolers, and whatever you carry it in must fit through the X ray.

Also make sure you pay attention to regulations in the port you visit regarding whether or not you can bring certain types of food into the country from the ship, if you are intending to bring your own food ashore.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
ItAllStrtdWAMouse
Fan for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohanaMAMA View Post
There is a grocery store not far from Ron Jon.. I bet it wouldnt cost very much at all to zip over there in a taxi. Id rather do that than have to mess with taking up space in an already small cabin!
There is a Winn Dixie (grocery store) and a CVS across the street from Ron Jon Surf Shop in Cocoa Beach. You can easily walk to it. Also about 1 mile south there is a Publix grocery store.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #15
love280mickey
Mouseketeer

How would the rules apply to my FE gifts I plan to give out if I use purchased candy/candy bars, etc as part of my gift? Does this mean they have to be in my carry on, or can I put them in our checked bags?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: