Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Small fee charged to card?

My mom called her bank the other day to let them know we're going on vacation so not to freeze the cards when they see ridiculous charges haha and they told her that some cruises charge a fee every time they charge your card. Does anyone know if DCL does this? Has anyone noticed added fees on their bills?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
EpicBilynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:21 PM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

DCL only charged our card once at the end of the cruise and I didn't notice any service fees tacked onto it.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 01:22 PM   #3
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

I charged my deposit and I did not notice an additional charge on my account.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Just got off the Fantasy last week - no extra fees.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:31 PM   #5
EpicBilynn
Mouseketeer

Thanks! I told her that I was sure if they did I would have seen it mentioned on the boards. I'll let her know.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

1990ish - WDW - Off-site | 2000 - DLP | July 2011 - WDW - All-Star Music | October 2011 - DLR - Off-site | December 2012/ January 2013 - NYE Disney Cruise - Magic | February 2014 - WDW - Saratoga Springs - Glass Slipper Challenge | October 2014 - WDW - All-Star Music - Tower of Terror 10-Miler | February 2015 - WDW - AKV Kidani Village - Glass Slipper Challenge | November 2015 - DLR - Off-site - Avengers Half
EpicBilynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
jkrislc
DIS Veteran

The fee was probably referencing foreign transaction charges to convert from one currency to US. DCL charges to the card in US dollars out of Florida, so there are no extra charges. However, if the card was used to charge something in a foreign port, then the fee would apply for the conversion. No worries when it comes to DCL and extra fees, though.
jkrislc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

DCL will charge your card whenever a specific balance is reached (based on the length of the cruise). On 7 night and longer, this is $500....so any time the balance hits that amount, it is charged. And obviously, it is billed at the end of the cruise.

There are no additional fees from DCL, and all charges are made in US dollars.

What you do while in port is up to you.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
gweeptrish
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcashner View Post
DCL will charge your card whenever a specific balance is reached (based on the length of the cruise). On 7 night and longer, this is $500....so any time the balance hits that amount, it is charged. And obviously, it is billed at the end of the cruise.

There are no additional fees from DCL, and all charges are made in US dollars.

What you do while in port is up to you.
I know the WDW resorts do that, but I've never seen the cruise ship charge my card at a particular balance level, just for the total at the end of the trip.
gweeptrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:16 PM   #9
sissy_ib
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeptrish View Post
I know the WDW resorts do that, but I've never seen the cruise ship charge my card at a particular balance level, just for the total at the end of the trip.
They did on our cruise in February. I went to check the balance and my card had been charged that day as we had passed $500. In November I went to check and I was above $500 but I had not been charged yet, probably because I had just hit it that day not long before visiting guest services. I applied my gift cards and that put us back under $500 so no automatic charge.
sissy_ib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
sgc1107
sgc1107

Ask your bank if they charge international fees! As said above no worry about DCL fees. My bank charges a percent of each sale used out of country.... I'll be using cash or my other bank (no international fees) at ports. :-)
sgc1107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:27 AM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeptrish View Post
We were on the Fantasy two weeks ago and they did charge our card when the balance got over $500.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: