Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2013, 04:49 PM   #1
zomama
Mouseketeer

How to make Disney magical for DH?

He's not big on crowds or rides so last time he did not "catch the fever" but I really want him too!
Old 03-02-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
PrincessMe
Mouseketeer

What does he like to do? If he likes to garden, the Behind the Seeds Tour at Epcot is fun and low key. Maybe having a drink and listening to one of the bands in the World Showcase? A drawing class at the Animation Academy in DHS? Strolling the animal trails at AK? People watching from the People Mover at MK?
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
MacDalt
DIS Veteran

Haha, my DH is NOT a Disney guy. He enjoys watching the kids but only a little bit. He just goes along with whatever we do, like it or not.

April 2000 October 2013 (Pop Century)
April 2002 Next: August 2014
April 2004
April 2006
April 2013
MacDalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:58 PM   #4
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

If he doesn't like crowds, then try to go during the value seasons when crowds are generally lower. No matter what time of the year, go to the recommended park of the day (I use easywdw.com for recommendations). If you must go to morning EMH, have park hopper tickets so you can hop to the most recommended park by late morning. Use fastpasses whenever possible. Get an app for your phone that gives accurate wait times for rides, so he doesn't have to stand for long periods in queues.

If he doesn't like rides:. Hmmm that's a toughie. Maybe he'll enjoy seeing more shows instead? Lots of theatre type attractions in the parks. And perhaps watching the street performers is something he might enjoy. How about the interactive games (Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom, Phineas and Ferb at Epcot, the Explorer's game at AK (can't remember the right name)).

Do you take afternoon breaks so he can have a rest/swim in the afternoons? Do you plan any non-park activities in the evenings? Maybe a dinner show, going to the Boardwalk, going to POR to see YeeHaw Bob?
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Maybe combine a few days at Disney with a few days at one of Florida's beautiful beaches. If he's not big on crowds or rides, forcing a Disney only vacation might not be the best move.

There really are fewer and fewer low crowd times left. The week after Labor Day is one of the few truly low crowd weeks left. And that's only because so many schools around the country start that week.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Texas Barbie
Mouseketeer

The exotic driving experience at the Walt Disney World Speedway did it for my husband.
Texas Barbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
littlejen22
Mouseketeer

Disney Driving Experience! My DH is doing it when we go in May and he is so psyched.

littlejen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:28 PM   #8
GAN
DIS Veteran

Location: Between the Port of Indecision and Southwest of Disorder

Has he ever been on a Segway? The tour in Epcot is excellent -and a great way to learn more about the Park.
GAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #9
Freezing Cold B
Mouseketeer

The exotic driving experience/Richard Petty experience were things my mom's fiance enjoyed. There is also the golf courses, fishing excursions, horseback riding, boat rentals, parasailing, jet ski rentals, splitsville, etc...

My childhood friends dad loved country hopping at world showcase and trying all the different beers and wines. You could also (as someone already mentioned) do one of the tours. There are many different tours available at all the parks.

My homes away from home: Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Polynesian, Grand Floridian and Grand Californian

Me (27) DBF(29) DM DSD
Freezing Cold B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #10
hops&dreams
DIS Veteran

Does he like shows? Is he a foodie? If he likes shows, hoop de doo revue is a fun one and it is all you can eat and beer wine and sangria are included!!!

Another idea- keys to the kingdom tour. I think thats the one that They take you "behind the scenes" to show you what all it takes to keep wdw parks going. You see utilities, learn secrets of the park, Etc.

If he's into sports, there's fishing, golf, ESPN wwos.

Engineering- Epcot should be interesting! We loved the games at the end of spaceship earth, trying to land the lunar lander, I think it was? We also loved figuring out the technical aspects of some of the shows and rides. The monsters inc and turtle talk- amazing technology! As graphic designers, it was stuff we dreamed about when we were in college. And how certain things work- amazing tricks they use for illusions- haunted mansion is our favorite for that.

Architecture- wonders of the lodge tour at WL. (It's free!).

There is SO much more to wdw than just rides and parks full of crowds!!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
hops&dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #11
OhMari
WDW PreTrip and Trip Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAN View Post
Has he ever been on a Segway? The tour in Epcot is excellent -and a great way to learn more about the Park.
All Segway tours are cancelled.

I had my husbands undivided attention after Richard Pettys driving school.
OhMari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:54 PM   #12
BonnieA
I don't need no stinkin tag

OK, not going to be much help here but I'll tell you about my experience. My hubby does not care for disney. He will go with me if I really want him to but he's not fond of it. So I take friends instead, and he is very grateful that I do. If I do take him (force him to go), I try to do things he will enjoy. That means no magic kingdom. Instead we do the other disney parks and seaworld. What I want to say is, go with someone who will enjoy it.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #13
JAG107
Mouseketeer

One word: BIERGARTEN
Old 03-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Backstage Magic tour -- so he can gain an appreciation for the scale of the whole WDW thing.

It's not just an amusement park...
Old 03-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
bruhl1j
Earning My Ears

DH - Magic

How about golf or fishing? I can recommend some fishing guides in the area or just use the ones at WDW. Golf courses are very nice. They have lessons for even the most avid golfer.

My DW and I did a meal plan that allowed us to visit many of the nice dinning establishments in the WDW resorts. Just a thought.

Jeff
bruhl1j is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: