Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
Angela0917
DIS Veteran

We took DS at 10m and again at 22m, and we are going in April, DD will be 7m, DS will be 3. And we did TS meals each time and will be doing them again. If people are irritated by children in restaurants then you're vacationing in the wrong place! I think alot would depend on the time of year, I don't think I'd take a young baby in either Jan or July when temps are at their highest and lowest, we always stick to spring/fall when weather is milder. But I think the younger they are, the easier they will be! But like others have said, if its going to be their only trip, I'd wait until their older, maybe around 5.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:35 PM   #17
Tinker'n'Fun
"apple", peaches, "pumpkin pie", who's not ready holler "I"...
i'm just trying to be optimistic!
I am SO CLUELESS and I hate it!!

Under three I would take no questions asked. From 4-6 I would have to think about it. We went when mine were 5&7. It was a gift trip. Neither remember it. I do, so it is a great memory for me, but none for them. Not sure I would want to pay for that. It is my personal choice.

Everyone is different though. If you as an adult want to go and have the resources, I say go for it!
Tinker'n'Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-27-2012, 02:51 PM   #18
dsneprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSSANDRA
For our family it is 6mo. They have good head control, can sit up fairly well, had their first round of immunizations, starting to sleep a little more on a routine and are still easy to cart around! We however go pretty often so it's not like a once in a lifetime trip. If you want them to the age of being able to do most of the rides, but still young enough to be excited over the more child like stuff, I would say 6 or 7. For a once in a lifetime trip, I would vote for 10ish so they might remember a little bit more of it.
Good advice here.
dsneprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #19
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

My boys were 7 and 4 on our first trip - it was the textbook perfect trip, but I wish we had gone earlier. There's no guarantee they'll remember it even at older ages (I don't remember one trip I was on when I was about 12 or so).

We're planning a Disneyland trip for this summer that has been in the works for two years. We're going to take our (then) 2 month old with us - barring colic or anything like that. Disney has no age limit .

I've always said I would rather take an infant than a toddler.

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
RoosMama
Mouseketeer

My DDs first trip was at 2 months. My mom and I ran the Princess half marathon. (Getting to run at Disney is great motivation to lose the baby weight, BTW!) We stayed at POR, so mostly walked around the resort and DTD rather than braving the parks. I agree with everyone - don't go expecting that they will get anything out of it! Our next trip is Dec for her 2nd birthday! She already knows a lot of the characters!
RoosMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #21
kim_o
Mouseketeer

No such thing. I've been with a baby as young as 4 months. He was the easy part. I just strapped him to me in a carrier for the ENTIRE trip (he wouldn't go in a stroller). He was the youngest of 4, so the trip wasn't for him, but he definitely didn't impede anything or change our commando touring style. If you're looking for an age when they/you will actually get something out of it - anything under 1 and there's only minimal reaction. Right around 2 is when I've seen a lot of joy and excitement and is actually my favorite time to take kids. Not only are they free, but their reactions are unforgettable.

kim_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #22
3pletprincesses
DIS Veteran

My oldest were 1 yo when we went and when we returned a couple of years later of course they remembered nothing as we expected. We have bee nsince about once or twice a year. Our youngest, she was 3 months old when we went last year. This year we are skipping our trip as DH lost his job but you can bet we will be right back next year. Whe nwe have young kids, we plan very little our days except for parks and meals. Other then that, it's a free for all and we do what we can depending on everyone's mood.
Old 01-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #23
Queen2PrincessG
DIS Veteran

Never!

They are never to young to go. if you can deal with carrying a baby bag and have a stroller that is easy to open and close, go for it!

I thought bringing a 8 month old was just right because she was able to hold her head up and crawl/walk so it was fun.

Queen2PrincessG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 PM   #24
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

Never too young! Go and enjoy! Our first trip our Oldest was almost 5 and our YDS was 6 months. We have great pictures of him and excellent memories. He LOVES looking at the pictures even if he doesnt remember. We have gone twice since then. This trip will be the second for our DD who is 17 months. She was 6 months on our last trip.

I just love looking at the pics and videos of all of them having fun. Many people say wait until they can remember and I guess if it is a once in a lifetime trip that may be true. I did a once in a lifetime trip with my mother when I was 9 years old and honestly my memories are quite few and of random things like falling asleep on the trolley back to the hotel and loving that the hotel had a pool that I could swim from inside to outside through a little tunnel thing. I would rather just go and have fun as we do at other vacation spots then worry about when they will be able to hold onto those memories. That is just MHO.
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:

Last edited by 4HppyCamprs; 01-07-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: add picture
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:28 PM   #25
Kemorr
Mouseketeer

For us, anything younger than 4 was too young, but that is just because of the way we wanted to "do" Disney. DH in particular was pretty adamant about maximizing our time (and money) and that basically meant entering the park at rope drop and leaving after dinner. Also, it meant going for 5 out of six consecutive days, with only one resort day break in the middle. We wanted to wait until the kids were done with midday naps and had more stamina and for us 4 was the right age.
Kemorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #26
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

If they aren't potty trained, they are too young.

Your mileage may vary. Subject to credit approval. Void where prohibited (Sorry, Tennessee!)

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:41 PM   #27
Family fun
Earning My Ears

I love the photos of my children as babies with the characters. Never too young
Family fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:53 PM   #28
Disney_Ohana
Mouseketeer

IMO memories are memories no matter what the age. Disney vacations are what you make it.

Have a fabulous time!

Disney_Ohana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:12 PM   #29
happydisneyfamily
Mouseketeer

I took them from when they were babies. My youngest celebrated his first birthday and third birthday there. On our trip when my daughter was 4 years old, she pointed out places in the park from last time she was there at 2 1/2 years old saying remember when this princess was here or when we ate there or we rode this, etc. DH and I were really surprised and happy that she had those memories. So even though no one can be certain, some kids can certainly remember things that happened at such young ages. Edited to add that we knew our trips were not once in a lifetime and that we'd be back many times. We went many times before we had kids so we did not mind taking it slow and taking our time in Disney.

happydisneyfamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 04:15 PM   #30
scottishduffy
I was walking around and providing my own musical theme song in the chord of F flat
"Yes ma'am. I am trying to develop an amazing pain tolerance and thought this would be an *awesome* way to start."

I may not be one to talk, we took a 6 week old.

We live locally and took starting at 6 weeks. At 18 months she has been more times than we can keep track of.
scottishduffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: