Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 AM   #1
jmccreery
Earning My Ears

Too young??

How young is too young for disney?? I know everybody's opinion on this varies....
jmccreery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
greengeen
Mouseketeer

You can take infants to WDW, but the trip will be much more trying for you as a parent; and don't think they'll remember it, they won't. If you go when they're quite young, the trip is really for you, not them.

I waited for mine (3 boys) to turn three. They can walk, talk, enjoy characters, and have some memories at that age. Strollers, which are a giant pain, become optional.

I also recommend dining at QS, not table service, until your kid(s) can behave in restaurants and eat real food instead of kiddie food. To the detriment of other diners, many people don't wait.
greengeen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #3
mdsoccermom
DIS Veteran

My daughter was 16 months on her first visit. My son was 4 months on his. Frankly, I found them to be very easy at those ages. It's a different way of traveling, nd you have to adjust your expectations, but it doesn't have to be hard.

We also started taking them to sit down restaurants from the time they were infants, so I don't necessarily agree with the advice to stick only to QS restaurants until they can eat real food.

My theory is if Disney is a destination you will continually visit, there is no reason to wait. If you want to go, then go. However, if you intend for it to be a once in a lifetime trip, then wait until they remember it.
mdsoccermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 01:51 PM   #4
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

No one is too young or old for Disney. the youngest I have taken to Disney is 3 months. Ever since learning how to babywear life is so much easier and I would take any age to Disney.

I think TS restaurants are a lot easier than CS when infants are involved. Gives time to rest and feed baby. A lot of times baby will just sleep through the whole experience and that way you have someone else waiting on you. No need to get up and down and get stuff.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:52 PM   #5
mummabear
DIS Veteran

No such thing. Our DD3 will be going for her 3rd time in a couple of months and DD1 will be going for her 2nd. They get different thing at different ages. If you are going soley for them then I would say 3 or 4 but if you enjoy going don't let them being little stop you
mummabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
jmccreery
Earning My Ears

My boys are 6 & 9...our daughter is 2 1/2 and we'll be going in February. I'm very excited but get discouraged when people repeatedly tell me she's too young thanks for the encouraging words!!
Old 12-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
MSSANDRA
DIS Veteran

For our family it is 6mo. They have good head control, can sit up fairly well, had their first round of immunizations, starting to sleep a little more on a routine and are still easy to cart around! We however go pretty often so it's not like a once in a lifetime trip. If you want them to the age of being able to do most of the rides, but still young enough to be excited over the more child like stuff, I would say 6 or 7. For a once in a lifetime trip, I would vote for 10ish so they might remember a little bit more of it.
MSSANDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
kmb584
DIS Veteran

It definitely is a personal choice and the main factor in deciding is, in my opinion, will this WDW vacation be a once in a lifetime event or one with plans to definitely return in the future.

My daughter's first trip was at 15-months-old. Of course she doesn't remember it but I certainly do, and she had a blast. It was fantastic as a first time parent seeing her face light up at all of the sights and sounds, watching her look around in awe. I was raised going to the World and reveled in the fact that I was now taking my child there.

DD is now 3 1/2, almost 4, and has been on 5 subsequent trips. Her second was just a month after her 2nd birthday and she can recall most of that trip and often references it. By her 4th trip she was able to "navigate" each park, ie: she knew the local of her favorite attractions, etc.

I will say, her first trip was the definitely the easiest on me! She wasn't much more than an infant and was content to do whatever, but now that she's older she's also more assertive and knows what she wants to do and when she wants to do it.

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #9
ktlm
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmccreery View Post
My boys are 6 & 9...our daughter is 2 1/2 and we'll be going in February. I'm very excited but get discouraged when people repeatedly tell me she's too young thanks for the encouraging words!!
My daughter's first trip was when she was 2 years 10 months. She is 6 and we have been every year since then. That first trip was still my favorite. Absolutely everything was new and real to her. They get jaded so fast nowadays, that there is such a small window for a total belief in everything. She spent almost the entire week with a smile on her face, and was actually much better behaved than she was at home. It was a great trip. She is not too young! I would recommend getting her familiar with the characters before she goes. We did that through these little sets of board books that come in a box with a handle. We had a set with all princess books, and a set with all the different characters. I've seen them recently at Barnes and Noble and Target. She was so amazed when she got to WDW and found out all the characters in her books were real!
ktlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:49 PM   #10
MinnieGi
DVC/BWV & HHI

My youngest was 5 months his first trip! Never too young!

If you know it is not a "just once in a childhood" trip and you'll all be back I would not hesitate to take an infant. Honestly in many ways DS at 5 months was WAY easier than when he went as a toddler and preschooler!! LOL! He enjoyed the trip immensely as did the rest of us, he was easy to carry in a carrier or stroller and was delighted by all the sights, sounds and people. He was not eating solid food yet and was breastfed so super easy to feed. He napped easily in the stroller or carrier. He of course does not remember it, but the rest of us do and treasure those memories forever!
8 Trips while growing up,11/94 Dixie Landings (honeymoon); 11/01 WL; 10/02 OKW; 2/03 AKL; 2/04 BWV/OKW; 2/05 AKL/BWV; 10/05 JW Marriott;1/06 WLV; 7/06 BWV; 2/07 - FW Cabins;08/07 HHI; 11/07 BWV/SSR, 06/08 - HHI, 11/08 - BWV, 06/09 - HHI, 06/10 - HHI; 12/10 Christmas at BLT; 06/11 Disney with the dance girls and DD dancing up Main St. in MK parade!!! 11/11 Thanksgiving in WDW!! 6/12 in HHI! Christmas in Disney 2013!; HHI - April 2014; and Coming UP: Thanksgiving Week 2014!
MinnieGi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #11
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

We took ODS and ODD when they were about 2-1/2 years old. My DH thought they were too young but they had a blast, and DH wanted to go back the next year with them. My YDS just turned 2 years old this month and I think he would be ready now. YDS is more advanced than ODS and ODD were at his age because he has big brother and sister to copy. He is into everything they like.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct15 - Extended family trip?

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Oct14 - Sleeping Bear Dunes/Leelanau County MI, Jun15 - Black Hills/Badlands SD & Yellowstone/Grand Teton WY
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
jmccreery
Earning My Ears

The way I looked at it is I'm sure we'll love it so much we'll want to go back!!! Hopefully in a few years when dd is older. But my sons are both st a good age now!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:00 PM   #13
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

My son was just over 2 years old and knowing what I know now we would've waited. He was a tough toddler, so taking him without his precious naps was not fun, lol. Well we had fun but I just think he was a little young. My daughter was almost 4 years old and our little one was 4 months old. I think babies are easier! At that age all he wanted was the breast and to sleep....so easy, come to think of it, that's all he still wants, lol. When we were there this year I seen a couple babies much younger then mine.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:09 AM   #14
Julie711
DIS Veteran

Our dd now 4.5 first time was when she was just a little over 2 years old and since she has been 3x. She loves it and remembers alot from her first visit! She did just fine at that age, slept in the stroller when needed. Our ds first trip was a few weeks ago and he was a 12 months. He also did very well, napped in the shyly roller throughout the day, I used the baby center's to warm up his food & bottle!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #15
luvmesometigger
Mouseketeer

My ODD was 9 months old the first time she went. My YDD was 18 months old the first time she went. Obviously they don't remember but they love looking at the pictures.

Ask 50 different people and you will get 50 different answers. My opinion? It isn't a family trip if the whole family isn't there. This year, when we go, we will be completely diaper free. Much less stuff to tote around the parks.

I loved watching my girls eyes light up as babies when they saw a character they knew.

(DH) (ME) (DS 14) (DD 8) (DD 5)
Poly 5/1994, SoG 1/1996, Contemp 8/2004, Pop Century 6/2006, Contemp 12/2010, SoG 4/2012 POR 6/2013 AoA 8/2014

luvmesometigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: