Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #106
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdonat View Post
Hi there! i think we're going to setup our 2013-2014 trip coming in on the 28th or 29th and staying until after New Years, as everything calms down right after New Years. Given the crowd stuff we're seeing this year, I think we're happy we went 12/14-12/18 this year. Was very nice, not too busy at all.
Pfffftttttt!

It hasn't been so bad. We got into the MK about 45 minutes later than I wanted to yesterday but we still got everything done.It *was* packed to the gills, though. Lines were already over an hour long at 9:00! The new fast pass enforcement system is a PITB when it's so busy. We stayed off-site last week and I was nervous about getting into the parks and the only real issue we had was going through the TTC into the MK. It's such a pain! We lined up at the TTC on our first MK morning and they finally let us board the ferry at 7:45 and we were in the park before 8:00.

I'm glad you are going back to staying over NYE. We sure have missed you! C will be happy to hear it in the AM (she's sleeping on the chair-bed in our AKV 1-BR as I type). Yes, my family pooped out again ... too many early mornings.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:52 PM   #107
thuber
Earning My Ears

ohman!!! Does it stay like this after the new year? We are going down and staying Jan 2-10th and wanted to hit MK on the 4th...made an adr at cp and now I'm worried we will be wall to wall with people =(
thuber is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-28-2012, 09:57 PM   #108
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuber
ohman!!! Does it stay like this after the new year? We are going down and staying Jan 2-10th and wanted to hit MK on the 4th...made an adr at cp and now I'm worried we will be wall to wall with people =(
No you should be ok. My cousin went that time last yr-or I guess it would be earlier this yr lol- and they had no problems with crowds. I tnk after the kids go back to school, it clears out a bit.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #109
thuber
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sphinx610 View Post
No you should be ok. My cousin went that time last yr-or I guess it would be earlier this yr lol- and they had no problems with crowds. I tnk after the kids go back to school, it clears out a bit.
Yeah we are keeping my daughter out of school for this trip, they were supposed to go back the 2nd (this place has the shortest vacations ever!) but my husband just got back from afghanistan and we planned this trip before he left--I didn't even think about crowds, good thing we decided to hold off until after new years instead of going for xmas!
thuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:26 PM   #110
Sphinx610
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuber

Yeah we are keeping my daughter out of school for this trip, they were supposed to go back the 2nd (this place has the shortest vacations ever!) but my husband just got back from afghanistan and we planned this trip before he left--I didn't even think about crowds, good thing we decided to hold off until after new years instead of going for xmas!
I will be taking my kids out next trip too. considering October... Have an amazing time! Welcome home to your hubby! Please thank him for his service. I know how difficult on a family it is to have someone in the service. I appreciate your sacrifices as a family for our country. Hope your trip is fabulous.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 PM   #111
shells4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuber View Post
We have been there several times the first week of January and the crowds have been almost nonexistent. One of my favorite times of year. The weather can be a bit chilly but typically not to cold.
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #112
RMulieri
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't count on the crowds dying down on the 2nd this year...Many schools are out on recess till Jan 7th this year
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 AM   #113
blessedby3
Actually Blessedby4 now, but cant change my username :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
I wouldn't count on the crowds dying down on the 2nd this year...Many schools are out on recess till Jan 7th this year
I agree. My DSis's dd doesnt go back until the 7th. www.easywdw.com has the crowd levels high for the first week, not dropping till the 6th and 7th.
Jan 1- 10
Jan 2- 9
Jan 3- 8
Jan 4- 8
Jan 5- 8
Jan 6- 5
Jan 7- 3
8/87-Disneymoon, offsite 7/92-DD's 1st trip 2/94-Land/Sea, Dixie Landings 10/99-offsite 4/03-CR tower MK view 11/05-POP 12/06-WL 1/08-POP, DD's Grad Trip 3/09-Poly 5/10-BLT, 1BR 6/11-POP 10/12 Bonnet Creek 6/14-Bonnet Creek/2 nights at AOA
DH(48) Me(47) DD(24)DSIL (24) DS(19) DD(15) DD(6)
Check out my May2010 trip report:
Welcome Gurley Family....you are FAMILY OF THE DAY!!
blessedby3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 AM   #114
bugaler
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMulieri View Post
Agreed. We were there yesterday and I didn't think it was too bad. I mean it was busy. There were a lot of people but it wasn't unmanageable. The longest wait was for Space Mountain at the end of the day. We were smart though and had Fast Passes for 8:20 and 9:00. Walked right on. The wait was 120 minutes. What we did was went straight to the back of the park, rode what we wanted to ride, and worked our way forward. Worked like a charm!
bugaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #115
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shells4

We have been there several times the first week of January and the crowds have been almost nonexistent. One of my favorite times of year. The weather can be a bit chilly but typically not to cold.
We have also been at WDW the week after new year and I wouldn't begin to call the crowds 'nonexistent'. It is almost as busy as the previous week. Lots of people will stay until their kids go back to school on the 2nd full week of the year. Now, if you can wait until the week after the marathon ... That's nonexistent.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #116
shells4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
We have also been at WDW the week after new year and I wouldn't begin to call the crowds 'nonexistent'. It is almost as busy as the previous week. Lots of people will stay until their kids go back to school on the 2nd full week of the year. Now, if you can wait until the week after the marathon ... That's nonexistent.
The years we have went the kids went back to school very early in Jan. One year we were in the park on Jan 1st and 2nd, which happened to be a weekend, the park was packed! On Mon Jan 3 the kids went back to school and we walked on every single ride, never had to wait to be seated for a meal, and the parks seemed very quiet. You are right about this year though, New Years falls early in the week and kids are off the entire week.
shells4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:05 AM   #117
jnoble82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shells4 View Post
The years we have went the kids went back to school very early in Jan. One year we were in the park on Jan 1st and 2nd, which happened to be a weekend, the park was packed! On Mon Jan 3 the kids went back to school and we walked on every single ride, never had to wait to be seated for a meal, and the parks seemed very quiet. You are right about this year though, New Years falls early in the week and kids are off the entire week.
Depends on the state. Kids here go back to school on Jan. 2nd. Working in a kids science museum, believe me that date can't come soon enough :P
Old 12-30-2012, 02:03 AM   #118
footballmouse
DIS Veteran

The 7th!!! Holy cow, the kids around here head back on the 3rd.
footballmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #119
nw2this
Earning My Ears

We go back on the 7th, that is why we are going next week. This is the first year in the 12 years that my kids have been in school that it has been this late into Jan. Since its not this late in every state, crowds should be above average for the first week of Jan compared to previous years but not as bad Xmas week when every kid everywhere is out of school.

What other states go back on the 7th? We are in CO.
nw2this is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #120
nfggirl5454
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nw2this View Post
What other states go back on the 7th? We are in CO.
I live in north central Florida. My sister is a teacher, and her school goes back on the 3rd. A friend teaches in a neighboring county, and they're back on the 7th. It really varies county to county, I think, not as much state to state
nfggirl5454 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: