Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #31
BuzzLiteyear
To infinity and beyond....or just drop me off at the Contemporary Resort!

Location: 978.19 miles just East of due North of CR (1161 by roads)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168

Yup, and be prepared for a longish wait. It was opening at 10:30am when I was there, saw people queuing up at 9:30am and this was during early/mid December when crowds weren't too bad. I'm told the lines moved quickly, maybe waited 25-30mins. I'm guessing it'll be a fair bit longer the lines though with MK being as busy as it has been past couple of days
There were people lining up (maybe 20) around 9 amor so today. Crazy
BuzzLiteyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:48 PM   #32
andyman8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Some have reported a very long wait at opening, and others have reported less of a wait a little later. It makes sense to me since many folks expect it to be so busy they go for opening. We went for lunch on Saturday 12/15. While it was not Christmas busy, it was a VERY busy day, projected to be a level 9 crowd that day. We got in line around 11:30 or so and waited only around 30 minutes. I will say that they are VERY efficient moving the crowds through there. My only complaint is that the efficiency felt...... too efficient if that makes any sense. But I did appreciate the apparent lack of hassle getting in and through there on a very busy park day.

Reports I saw before our trip said they closed for lunch at 2:30, but cut the line around 2. I don't know if that varies during a peak week like this. I know the earliest dinner ADR's were around 4.

When we were there for dinner one night our waiter said they were having a fairly decent no-show rate. There were indeed a couple of empty tables near us in the West Wing that night. They had not been overbooking but were going to start doing so to make up for it. Which makes no sense since when ADR's opened on 8/20 they mistakenly didn't require a CC guarantee, but recitfied that soon after. My point being, it never hurts to ask early in the day if there is any chance at a walk-up for dinner.

Good luck and enjoy!
Thanks! We'll probably stop around 1pm. I know peak lunchtime, but if we have to wait, we'll wait.
Walt Disney World Resort: June 2014 (GF), March 2014 (Day-Trip), January 2014 (Pop[/COLOR], AoA, & Half-Marathon), November 2013 (YC & W&D Half-Marathon), October 2013 (GF), June 2013 (Polynesian), January 2013 (POR & Half-Marathon) December 2012 (Rosen Shingle Creek), July 2012 (GF), June 2011 (CR), March 2011 (Day-Trip), July 2004 (GF), April 2004 (FW), December 2003 (DoubleTree & MVMCP), October 2003 (DoubleTree & MNSSHP), August 2003 (DoubleTree), June 2003 (WL), February 2003 (Embassy Suites) January 2003 (DoubleTree), September 2002 (AKL), July 2002 (DoubleTree), March 2002 (DoubleTree), January 2002 (CR), November 2001 (DoubleTree), May 2001 (DoubleTree), February 2001 (DoubleTree), January 2001 (DoubleTree), April 2000 (DoubleTree), February 1998 (Quality Inn & Suites)

Universal Orlando Resort: October 2012 (RPR), September 2011 (HRH), July 2010 (RPR), March 2010 (RPR), February 2010 (Day-Trip), September 2009 (HRH), January 2008 (HRH), June 2006 (PBH)

Disneyland Resort: August 2012 (Day-Trip), August 2009 (Day-Trip)

Upcoming: Disneyland July 2014 (GCH), Walt Disney World October 2013 (Dolphin & ToT 10-Miler)

Member of the PeopleMover Appreciation Society, Official MyMagic+ Info & FAQ Thread, and Printable Theme Park Maps
andyman8 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #33
dasan
Earning My Ears

Does anyone have any pictures from today of what the crowd looks like?
dasan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #34
karebear06
DIS Veteran

I had the Cornish Hen and my husband had the Shrimp and Scallops. The lighting was a little low in the west wing, but the entrees and desserts were really good. I like how they bring the desserts out and tell you about each one. I also ate there on Saturday as a quick service. We went right at 10:30 which was perfect. We walked out at 11:15 and the line was past the bridge.
karebear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #35
TwoCortWort
A Buckeye Disney Princess

We were there yesterday and it closed before noon. Today we were headed toward Epcot and they were lined up to the exit for Epcot going toward MK at about 830 this morning.

TwoCortWort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #36
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by karebear06 View Post
I had the Cornish Hen and my husband had the Shrimp and Scallops. The lighting was a little low in the west wing, but the entrees and desserts were really good. I like how they bring the desserts out and tell you about each one. I also ate there on Saturday as a quick service. We went right at 10:30 which was perfect. We walked out at 11:15 and the line was past the bridge.
Were they actually open at 10:30am ? I will assume they were as you reported finishing at 11:15. We want to line up around 10-10:15 and be done by 11:30 at the latest on 12/29 with a group of 10.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM   #37
karebear06
DIS Veteran

We were there a little past 10:30. I would say closer to 10:40. The whole process was really fast and they walk you through the touch screen menu. They bring everything to you except your drinks and silverware. Our food was sitting at our table by the time we grabbed our drinks.
karebear06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #38
Disney_Princess83
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativeamanda View Post
Although I know people want to be at MK on Christmas day, come on people. It just does not make any sense. If I were going to be at a park on Christmas day it would have to be Animal Kingdom. It just makes more sense.
The idea of being at WDW for Christmas is amazing. Actually doing it......

Almost 6 Weeks at Disney.... it's Happened! October & November 2013! Trip Report and Food Review to Follow Soon

Starbucks has arrived at WDW! MK, EPCOT and soon the entire World!
Add me on Twitter: @OzGoofyPrincess
Disney_Princess83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:01 PM   #39
RunningGirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasan View Post
Does anyone have any pictures from today of what the crowd looks like?
Here you go. All these were taken near Liberty Tree Tavern:

First, around 8:30 a.m.

Next, around 11:00 a.m.

Finally, around 12:30 p.m.

We did everything we wanted to do with absolutely no lines before 10:00. We left right after that last picture was taken, and there were still people pouring up main street!
RunningGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzLiteyear View Post
There were people lining up (maybe 20) around 9 amor so today. Crazy
That is crazy. We ate there yesterday and got in line at just about 11:00. We only waited about 15 minutes to order.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:29 PM   #41
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningGirl View Post
Finally, around 12:30 p.m.

We did everything we wanted to do with absolutely no lines before 10:00. We left right after that last picture was taken, and there were still people pouring up main street!
(Larry the Tourist) Really, WDW???

This is an "enjoyable guest experience"?

I'm thinking the upper limit needs to be reset down ten or twenty thousand or so...

(Larry the Stockholder) SHUT UP! Meg Crofton for President!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 12:42 AM   #42
g-dad66
DIS Veteran

Man, everybody who has a family member who needs to be convinced of the importance of getting to the parks early ought to bookmark that 8:30 am photo and that 12:30 photo -- for comparison's sake!

Thanks for the photos, Running Girl.

Historical Orlando weather data here: http://www.leaveittogenie.com/weather.html
g-dad66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:31 AM   #43
anthony2k7
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post

I'm thinking the upper limit needs to be reset down ten or twenty thousand or so...
thats actually a really interesting point.

Surely guests spend more if they're having an enjoyable time? I cant actually see anyone wanting to hang around and browse the shops when there are that many people in the parks - so surely disney is missing out on sales? maybe they'd benefit by lowering the limits.

Im sure disney have ran the numbers - but it must be a fine line.

Last edited by anthony2k7; 12-26-2012 at 04:43 AM.
anthony2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 AM   #44
heidi8
Mouseketeer

We were at BoG on Xmas Eve, and I sat on the rocks by the door from about 11 til 1145 while DH did a few rides with our kids - the line was sometimes 2-3 families long, and sometimes 10 but nobody I saw waited more than 15 minutes to get in, then the five to then to order inside. Obviously over the next few days it could be much worse but if you're here in January lunch should be very do-able.

The interesting thing is, unless you know it's there, you won't know it's there. In other words, it's not listed as a Quick Serve restaurant on the white paper-card with times on it. That might be decreasing or impacting the numbers, and keeping them to those who *really* want to go.

Yes, I did go on the Teacups 30 times in a row on my 30th birthday!
heidi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:42 AM   #45
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney_Princess83 View Post
The idea of being at WDW for Christmas is amazing. Actually doing it......

Agree, Agree, Agree!!!

Thanks a bunch RunningGirl for the accurate crowd level at MK (pictures don't lie LOL). Just look at all the determined looks on the faces - *just please let me get through this crowd*

We have friends visiting family down there with two little girls, said they were going xmas day. We talked them out of it and now they are going Fri. (28th). Better, maybe, but not worse. They're newbies (went once 1 day) so can't understand how it can be *that* bad!! Also, they have a huge strike against them by not being able to get in for EMH, so the park will have lots of people there before they can set foot in - oh well, you try to prepare and help people, but they must spend their hard earned money and learn for themselves
North of Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: