Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Camping at Disney World
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #1
loislane
DIS Veteran

Gas stations between NY and FL?

Hi all. I've been MIA for a little bit - life got a little crazy as I lost my job due to corporate restructuring. Dec. 14 was my last day and for the first time I can remember, I wasn't working around the holidays. It was kind of nice actually! Anyway, been busy making plans to start my own business, but now I'm back on track with thinking ahead for our Disney trip this upcoming August.

We will be driving down from upstate NY with our pop-up and staying for 11 nights at the Fort. So excited! Anyway, I'd like to start buying some gas cards now to stockpile for the trip as I love to pay for as much in advance as I can.

Was wondering what gas stations/brands will we encounter most along the way so I know where to get the cards for. Thanks for any help!
9/12/09-9/19/09 Pop Century
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #2
Vickie1016
Mouseketeer

Hi, this year my family & I drove from lower NY to FL. We found this website - i95exitguide.com . It gives you the breakdown of rest stops while listing which gas stations are at each. If I remember correctly, once you get into VA, the rest areas are just that- bathrooms & vending machines, no gas.
Vickie1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 01:33 PM   #3
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
Hi all. I've been MIA for a little bit - life got a little crazy as I lost my job due to corporate restructuring. Dec. 14 was my last day and for the first time I can remember, I wasn't working around the holidays. It was kind of nice actually! Anyway, been busy making plans to start my own business, but now I'm back on track with thinking ahead for our Disney trip this upcoming August.

We will be driving down from upstate NY with our pop-up and staying for 11 nights at the Fort. So excited! Anyway, I'd like to start buying some gas cards now to stockpile for the trip as I love to pay for as much in advance as I can.

Was wondering what gas stations/brands will we encounter most along the way so I know where to get the cards for. Thanks for any help!
We have a MH so our station choices for fuel may be different for you. We mostly find the cheapest fuel at Flying J's (Pilots) especially in SC We usually leave with a full tank (from last trips cheapest fuel) (from Raleigh, NC), top off our tank in SC, also fill up there on the way back. Hope this helps some.
North of Mouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie1016 View Post
Hi, this year my family & I drove from lower NY to FL. We found this website - i95exitguide.com . It gives you the breakdown of rest stops while listing which gas stations are at each. If I remember correctly, once you get into VA, the rest areas are just that- bathrooms & vending machines, no gas.
You must be talking about Toll Rd. rest areas, we don't have too many down south (thank goodness ).
Old 01-11-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
WizardLarz
DIS Veteran

use Gasbuddy

I've used Gasbuddy to help plan drives. You can give it the start and finish points of your trip, along while your estimated miles per gallon for your car. Then Gasbuddy will show you where your likely fillups will be during your trip.

'88 Off Site -only two parks '00 Off Site '08 Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (Yes,I realy used a tent!) '09 Pop Century
'10 Boardwalk Villas SWW '11 Pop F&W '11 Pop Century Mars Preview '12 Pop Century(hey it's cheap) SWW '12 Pop Century (yes Again)

2010 PRT "I'm off to see the Mickey! The wonderfull cool Mouse! http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2383922

WizardLarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:04 PM   #6
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loislane View Post
. . . I'd like to start buying some gas cards now to stockpile for the trip as I love to pay for as much in advance as I can . . .
1) Buying BP gas cards is almost a no brainier.
2) However, why not buy prepaid VISA cards or Master Cards?
3) That way, you never have to worry.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #7
loislane
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
1) Buying BP gas cards is almost a no brainier.
2) However, why not buy prepaid VISA cards or Master Cards?
3) That way, you never have to worry.
When we bought a prepaid VISA from our bank before our last trip, we were told they wouldn't work at gas stations once they got down to a lower amount (typically below $100) because of the holds the gas stations put on the card when you swipe it. I suppose that might not be an issue if we used the card to pay inside at the station?
9/12/09-9/19/09 Pop Century
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
RVMH
badge

I think you'll find VA the cheapest for fuel. Pilot and Flying J's may well be your best bet especially if you're towing and need a bit more room to maneuver
RVMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #9
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMH View Post
I think you'll find VA the cheapest for fuel. Pilot and Flying J's may well be your best bet especially if you're towing and need a bit more room to maneuver
Actually, we have found SC to be the cheapest on I-95, maybe not a lot cheaper than VA, but somewhat

Last edited by North of Mouse; 01-13-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:23 PM   #10
rock_doctor
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVMH View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by North of Mouse View Post
Actually, we have found SC to be the cheapest on I-95, maybe not a lot cheaper than VA, but somewhat
Bingo, We stop in Carmel Church VA (x104, the station is hard to find. It is on the south bound side of I95), the next is in Latta, SC (x181A), next is a raceway exit 3 in GA (turn right once you get off 95), then the super walmart in kissimmee has the cheapest if you use a walmart gift card. Here are the super important details.... FlyingJ/pilot...run in the store first and get their Frequent Travelers RV card. It will give you a couple cents off plus you can pay with a credit card and get the cash price. It is good at all FlyingJ and Pilot stations. The Sunocos on the PA turnpike are also not too bad. Be aware there a ton of new tolls going north on I95. I can't remember the prices of fuel but since we use diesel if i could it would not matter. If interested we also stay at the days inn in florence SC (x157) use the "red book" for coupons $39 each nite. Have a great trip, be prepaired Disney is super busy. We just came back last week... ...gets harder each time.

Last edited by rock_doctor; 01-14-2013 at 07:59 AM.
rock_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:44 AM   #11
double r
Mouseketeer

We use diesel also so we end up at the larger truck stops, but last summer we found out about the deal at Walmarts with ( I think) Murphy gas stations, use a pre paid Walmart card and fuel and gas were both cheaper. But a warning there the stations are not very large but with a pop up you should be ok, we have a 39' 5th wheel so we had to plan fuel stops.
double r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #12
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by double r View Post
We use diesel also so we end up at the larger truck stops, but last summer we found out about the deal at Walmarts with ( I think) Murphy gas stations, use a pre paid Walmart card and fuel and gas were both cheaper. But a warning there the stations are not very large but with a pop up you should be ok, we have a 39' 5th wheel so we had to plan fuel stops.
You are *so* right! We were not able to utilize their stations at all (even our home one) because of the way they make them. It's probably on purpose to keep big rigs out We took advantage with our personal vehicles though with the extra $.10 off gal. It's all over now though.

Truck stops like Flying J and Pilot are the easiest to maneuver, and a few of those we have stopped at are tight (not on I-95 South though.) Also, we have a fuel card to get a couple cents off - yeah, big deal

Another thing, when we're traveling, we're not going very far from an exit to fuel up. Any lower prices are usually negated by the extra fuel it takes to get there. Gasbuddy will tell you the lowest prices, but the truck stops are *usually* the lowest, and definitely the easiest to maneuver.

Last edited by North of Mouse; 01-15-2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:36 AM   #13
dsdeleon
Earning My Ears

We get Sunoco cards and its pretty easy to find places along 95.
dsdeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #14
pocomom
Brr.....

If you can stop there Loves in SC had the lowest I've seen on this recent trip. Paid3.09 a gallon. Had to stop earlier on the way down and was only at half a tank but topped off anyway at those prices
pocomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
North of Mouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocomom View Post
If you can stop there Loves in SC had the lowest I've seen on this recent trip. Paid3.09 a gallon. Had to stop earlier on the way down and was only at half a tank but topped off anyway at those prices
Flying J/Pilot Florence, SC also $3.09. We have a fuel card with extra $.02 off so it is $3.07 for us.
Most of the truck stops are competitive.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: