Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2013, 09:13 AM   #16
Piper
DIS Veteran

You cannot count on the hotel having a wheelchair for her to use. As the previous poster stated, her daughter hurt her foot at the hotel. That is what they keep the WCs for.....people who have unexpected need.

Since you know ahead of time, I would rent a WC at home (or if she is going to a PT, check to see if they know where you can borrow one.) If you are flying, the airports can be a real obstacle for someone with limited mobility. They are huge!

The WC can be checked at the gate and doesn't count against your luggage. You will push it up to the gate and tell them that you wish to gate check it. I would take a small bag to put the leg rests and any cushions in (this also doesn't count against your carry on.) You will push it to the door of the plane, she will get on and then they will put it in the luggage compartment. When you get off the plane, the luggage people will bring it to the door of the plane and you are off!
Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by unravellingrapunzel View Post
I hope they don't mind if I sit while in line waiting. Im someone whos stubburn and wont use crutches or a wheelchair because I don't want to inconvience my friend to have to push me around. we already made a plan to sit down when I need to take a break trust me I looked into the parks I went 10 yrs ago I forgot how big Disney parks where :
As someone who's walked in a similar device - walking a full day at Disney is likely to be a LOT more work than you think it is. The answer that worked best for me was to rent a wheelchair. I used it like a walker. Folded it up and pushed most of the day. Then in lines I'd sit. Either someone in my party would push me, or I'd push myself (bring a pair of bike gloves for your hands), or just nudge myself along with my good foot on the ground.

It meant that I could sit down and take a break anywhere. No need to find an empty bench that didn't have sun in my eyes. I just picked a spot, locked the brakes and sat down. You can push it from land to land, and park it with the strollers.

It was a hard thing to get my mind around, but the best choice I could have made.
dawnball is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-15-2013, 07:39 AM   #18
ibcrazie4dizney
Mouseketeer

so glad you are getting her a wheelchair. years ago, I broke my foot and had a boot. I was stupid and walked all Disney and universal, trying to be tough. well, my foot ended up not healing properly and I needed surgery with a plate now in my foot that gives me problems all these years. one thing I regret is not riding the parks. so last visit I also fractured a bone in same foot, had a boot again. this time I was smart enough to get a scooter. was definitely the right decision. also, if you are flying, when you go thru airport security, they ask if you can take it off for a few minutes and put it in a bin to be scanned. this is the easy way, if you cant take it off, they have to do a different scanning of some sort. we rented thru walker mobility, they delivered to resort before we checked in, but it was off property. from what I hear, they don't have a contract with Disney hotels. it was nice to have it with me everywhere we went, not just in the parks.
Old 04-15-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibcrazie4dizney View Post
this is the easy way, if you cant take it off, they have to do a different scanning of some sort.
They swab it for explosives. Totally not a big deal, except for the times they wear gloves that set off the scanner.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #20
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnball View Post
They swab it for explosives. Totally not a big deal, except for the times they wear gloves that set off the scanner.
The last time we flew, they swabbed DD's wheelchair seat, the armrests, the footplates, her shoes, her hands and various places on the wheelchair frame.
Then they got out a little mirror on a stick to inspect the underneath parts of the wheelchair.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
The last time we flew, they swabbed DD's wheelchair seat, the armrests, the footplates, her shoes, her hands and various places on the wheelchair frame.
Then they got out a little mirror on a stick to inspect the underneath parts of the wheelchair.
That sounds about right. For just the boot, I got just a swab, but there's so much more -to- a wheelchair, it makes sense they'd have to swab more and inspect more.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:34 AM   #22
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnball View Post
That sounds about right. For just the boot, I got just a swab, but there's so much more -to- a wheelchair, it makes sense they'd have to swab more and inspect more.
The TSA person was very nice and we were even joking that the wheelchair was getting nice and clean from all the swabbing.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: