Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-25-2012, 01:56 PM   #31
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohanaMAMA View Post
The Hawaii cruise you are all speaking if actually exists... A friend of mine was on it. To Hawaii from LA. It included a stop in Ensenada.
People here are speaking of one-way Hawaii cruises from LA. There are a number of cruise lines that regularly sail to Hawaii roundtrip from LA with a port stop in Ensenada. However, there are currently no one-way cruises from LA that I am aware of.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:34 PM   #32
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyIL

People here are speaking of one-way Hawaii cruises from LA. There are a number of cruise lines that regularly sail to Hawaii roundtrip from LA with a port stop in Ensenada. However, there are currently no one-way cruises from LA that I am aware of.
So, and we've all been over this before, but leaving LA, and stopping in Ensenada before heading on to Hawaii and ending there would work, right? Same with starting in Hawaii, and stopping in Ensenada on the way back to LA? Those would be one way trips to me because they don't end in the same place.
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #33
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
So, and we've all been over this before, but leaving LA, and stopping in Ensenada before heading on to Hawaii and ending there would work, right? Same with starting in Hawaii, and stopping in Ensenada on the way back to LA? Those would be one way trips to me because they don't end in the same place.
No foreign-flagged ship can travel from one US port (LA) to another US port (Honolulu) without making a DISTANT foreign port stop. Ensenada, Mexico isn't distant, and works only as the foreign port stop for roundtrip cruises from a US port. A one-way cruise to or from Hawaii would have to start or end in Mexico or Canada.

ETA - as Plaid Princess suggested in post #10 - some cruise lines (RCI and Celebrity, in particular) reposition between Hawaii and Australia in the spring and fall. The point is, one-way cruises to or from Hawaii have to start or end in a foreign country, or stop in a distant foreign port - like Fanning Island.

Last edited by NancyIL; 12-25-2012 at 02:52 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:54 PM   #34
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

No foreign-flagged ship can travel from one US port (LA) to another US port (Honolulu) without making a DISTANT foreign port stop. Ensenada, Mexico isn't distant, and works only as the foreign port stop for roundtrip cruises from a US port. A one-way cruise to or from Hawaii would have to start or end in Mexico or Canada.

ETA - as Plaid Princess suggested in post #10 - some cruise lines (RCI and Celebrity, in particular) reposition between Hawaii and Australia in the spring and fall.
Got it...I think, lol. Thanks. I guess I don't understand what qualifies as "distant". Is it in terms of mileage from the port? For the RT Hawaii out of LA do they call Ensenada a "local" foreign port or something? I don't understand why it works for the RT and not the non-roundtrips.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:57 PM   #35
GatorMomInNC
DIS Veteran

How about PC - Bermuda - CC - PC?
GatorMomInNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 PM   #36
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

LA, Catalina, PV and Cabo.

LA, SD, Santa Barbara, SF.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #37
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Got it...I think, lol. Thanks. I guess I don't understand what qualifies as "distant". Is it in terms of mileage from the port? For the RT Hawaii out of LA do they call Ensenada a "local" foreign port or something? I don't understand why it works for the RT and not the non-roundtrips.
Different laws apply to one-way cruises vs. roundtrip cruises, per the PVSA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...es_Act_of_1886). Roundtrip cruises from a US port require only a foreign port stop - such as Ensenada. The Alaska cruises from Seattle stopped in Victoria, Canada.

Distant foreign port = not in North America. The Panama Canal cruises stop in South America or one of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao) as their distant foreign port. In 2012/2013 - DCL is stopping in Cartagena, Colombia.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:02 PM   #38
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Different laws apply to one-way cruises vs. roundtrip cruises, per the PVSA (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passeng...es_Act_of_1886). Distant foreign port = not in North America. The Panama Canal cruises stop in South America or one of the ABC islands (Aruba, Bonaire, or Curacao) as their distant foreign port. In 2012/2013 - DCL is stopping in Cartagena, Colombia.
Oh I didn't know what distant meant. Thanks for they link too!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #39
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
LA, Catalina, PV and Cabo.

LA, SD, Santa Barbara, SF.
Your 2nd suggestion needs to make a foreign port stop.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:09 PM   #40
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Your 2nd suggestion needs to make a foreign port stop.
Would LA, SD, Ensenada, Santa Barbara, work?
Old 12-25-2012, 03:10 PM   #41
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Would LA, SD, Ensenada, Santa Barbara, work?
Yes, as long as the cruise is roundtrip from any of those CA ports.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:05 PM   #42
minnieandmickey
Queen of the run on sentence!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm11697 View Post
I'm gonna be bold and do a 15 night cruise of the east AND west Caribbean...

1- PC
2- Castaway Cay
3- Nassau
4- At Sea*
6- St Martin
7- St Thomas/John
8- San Juan
9- At Sea*
10- At sea*
11- Grand Cayman
12- Cozumel
13- Costa Maya
14- At Sea*
15- Castaway Cay
16- PC

*At sea days are a estimation of how long it will take to get from one island to another. Give or take 1 if necessary*
Pending on cost, I would book this in a heartbeat.
My life at Disney: DL - started in 1978 too many times to count. First time AP holder in 2012, spent a total of 14 days! WDW- 10th anniversary- May 1999(Dixie Landings), 2005(off site),2006(POP/POFQ),2007(WLV),2008(AKV),2011(OKW) DCL- 3 day Bahamas Wonder 2002, 4 Day Bahamas Wonder 2006, 7 day Western Caribbean Magic 2007, 20 days on the Magic 2008, B2B Panama Canal and 5 day double dip, Sarah's gradapalooza 4 day Bahamas on the Dream and 7 Day Eastern Caribbean on the Magic 2011, DLP, October 2013
Up next Best Aunt and Uncle WDW/DCL, taking DNiece on her first trip! November 2014, Miami Western Caribbean October 2015 B2B Fantasy KK Reunion Cruise, Eastern Caribbean, October 2015
minnieandmickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:17 PM   #43
lexlaw69
Mouseketeer

Australia
Asia
India
Africa tied to a safari and Zanzibar.
lexlaw69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:53 PM   #44
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

My dream DCL cruise is...nothing they do now Seriously, we booked the Dream as a way to relax after going to WDW and that's about it. We looked at many other cruise lines, but only DCL fit our tight time frame.
I'd love to see a cruise to the Southern Caribbean, maybe 9-12 days long, out of NY or somewhere we can drive from Ontario, avoiding the usual St. Thomas, St Maartin and Nassau. How about Barbados, Guadeloupe, Aruba, Curacao, Colombia and Venezuela? Throw in Castaway Cay on the way down (and maybe on the way back!), and I'm in!
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #45
jrm11697
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post
You don't need to ask DCL for this. Just do them b2b.
Yeah you could but that Saturday between the two is spent by leaving the ship, doing all that port stuff, then going back. Then that dreaded lifeboat drill twice.

They would also repeat the activities, where if its the whole Caribbean over 15 nights, they can add more variety.
jrm11697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: