DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 10:22 PM   #16
mditkof
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by heynowirv

Marty,
Is that really cost effective? Given the cost of MF's i would think a condo would be cheaper.
Remember that Condos have property taxes and association dues. Plus electric bills and all the typical expenses of ownership. Plus, we only need a car for longer stays as we have the on grounds bus service.

I ran the numbers and this is less expensive as long as you understand the downsides versus having a condo. These include not being able to declare as a Florida resident for tax purposes, having to live with uncertainty for some reservation changes with little notice, no potential appreciation in value, and not getting to pick out your own furniture. Not to mention the inability to have our dogs (currently 13 years of age) with us. Given that my wife is a Disney-a-holic, we typically do not go off grounds other than when we have a car with us.

This has worked well this year for us as a test; hence, our current offer to purchase our 3rd OKW contract going through the ROFR process.

Overall, an interesting experiment. Nancy's next stay starts on January 6th and ends on February 4th. In addition to the drive time. I will join her for part of the time, and we have a second Studio for some of our kids during Marathon Weekend.

Marty
mditkof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #17
mditkof
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonette

Marty, please tell more! I am just sitting on couch with my dog and would love to hear more about your experience! My husband and I are all about the ease of life after work!
I call OKW my wife's Assisted Living Facility. Starting with the luggage yellow tags, direct flights to Orlando, Magic Express, a PAP, a Disney Gift card easily recharged, the ability to change rooms if hers is not acceptable, 2 Owner Lockers including her sewing machine and cooking gear, an iPad, her bicycle, and an outgoing personality, it is easy to understand the ability to relax.

A morning walk to and around Downtown Disney from OKW, or a bike ride to Celebration, breakfast in the room or at Olivia's, and then take the first bus you see to any of the parks. Back to hang around the pool or bar and eventually sort out fireworks for the night. Hang with friends who she has met on prior trips or this time around, and then start again the next day. Then, of course, add Food and Wine or the Flower and Garden show.

With a computer and iPad, she can keep up with her volunteer work obligations. Not to mention the massive Text Messages with pictures.

I can join her about 1/3 of the time as I have a flexible job.

As I said, this is a retirement test for us. So far, I looks pretty good.

Marty
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-25-2012, 12:05 AM   #18
magicmonette
Working on Future DVC Retirement Home!

Dvc Retirement test

Quote:
Originally Posted by mditkof View Post
I call OKW my wife's Assisted Living Facility. Starting with...I can join her about 1/3 of the time as I have a flexible job.

Marty
My husband and I laughed so much at your synopsis! He (an engineer) said you sound like an engineer and your wife like me, a Disney-aholic! He calculated $200,000 in points for us to do what we want to do with points, but I think less! LOL! Thank you so much for posting! I hope you continue to keep us apprised of your test results.

And yes, the pets not coming along would be a problem now, but I can't see more pets in our future. The pain of loss is too enormous.

...it's a blurr! Kids, family, friends, and just Husband and ME! Offsite five times:THEN multiple times at each Fort Wilderness Campground AND the Cabins, All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West and AKL,AKV,BLT,BWV...and on to the next!
magicmonette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #19
mditkof
Earning My Ears

Quote:

My husband and I laughed so much at your synopsis! He (an engineer) said you sound like an engineer and your wife like me, a Disney-aholic! He calculated $200,000 in points for us to do what we want to do with points, but I think less! LOL! Thank you so much for posting! I hope you continue to keep us apprised of your test results.

And yes, the pets not coming along would be a problem now, but I can't see more pets in our future. The pain of loss is too enormous.
Same with us on the 2 dogs. We love them dearly, but will not replace them when they are gone. As to point expenses, I figure 1300 points which, for OKW on the resale market assuming you can get past The Mouse's ROFR, is a lot lower than what your husband is thinking. Buying loaded contracts really helps to get a running start without fully committing. We had also leased some points last year which also put us in a point positive position.

Again, I believe that it is less expensive than buying a Condo in Florida but this balances out with some of the downsides. A very personal decision based on what you are looking for in retirement.

I am not an engineer, but have worked with quite a few. Maybe it has rubbed off on me.

Marty
Old 12-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #20
AnnaS

The puppy has now left the building and I am exhausted
Will you be rolling?
I can't wait to try them all

Quote:
We are testing out a subset of that theme this year. My wife will be at OKW in a Studio about 115 nights from last Sept to this upcoming May. About 1300 points, give or take some. We are empty nesters and sorting out how to escape the Midwestern winters without the need to take care of a separate home or condo in Orlando.

Unlike some, we find the Studio fine. My wife keeps a Crock Pot and electric skillet in the second Owners Locker we just bought.

Marty
I love your test - you need to start a separate thread and keep us up to date on the details/how it's working out, etc. Would love to do something similar someday with dh.

Upcoming/planned trips:
May - HH
Oct. 2015 - F&W/BCV

DCL '01 Eastern, '03 Western, '05 West Coast Cruise ºoº '07 11 N. Med. Cruise, '13 Western
WDW - CBR, POR, POP, OKW, BWV, BCV, AKV, VWL, HH & VB, SSR,
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:19 PM   #21
magicmonette

Marty, I PM you.

...it's a blurr! Kids, family, friends, and just Husband and ME! Offsite five times:THEN multiple times at each Fort Wilderness Campground AND the Cabins, All Star Music, All Star Sports, All Star Movies, Pop Century, Caribbean Beach, Old Key West and AKL,AKV,BLT,BWV...and on to the next!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #22
OurDogCisco
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I call OKW my wife's Assisted Living Facility. Starting with the luggage yellow tags, direct flights to Orlando, Magic Express, a PAP, a Disney Gift card easily recharged, the ability to change rooms if hers is not acceptable, 2 Owner Lockers including her sewing machine and cooking gear, an iPad, her bicycle, and an outgoing personality, it is easy to understand the ability to relax.

A morning walk to and around Downtown Disney from OKW, or a bike ride to Celebration, breakfast in the room or at Olivia's, and then take the first bus you see to any of the parks. Back to hang around the pool or bar and eventually sort out fireworks for the night. Hang with friends who she has met on prior trips or this time around, and then start again the next day. Then, of course, add Food and Wine or the Flower and Garden show.

With a computer and iPad, she can keep up with her volunteer work obligations. Not to mention the massive Text Messages with pictures.

I can join her about 1/3 of the time as I have a flexible job.

Marty
Wow... I didn't know you could bike to Celebration from OKW. She is one lucky person... I'm jealous..
OurDogCisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 05:01 PM   #23
mditkof
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Marty, I PM you.
I responded.

Marty
Old 12-25-2012, 05:08 PM   #24
mditkof
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDogCisco
Wow... I didn't know you could bike to Celebration from OKW. She is one lucky person... I'm jealous..
I asked her about the Celebration ride. She did it once taking some back roads and it took about 1/2 hour. More traffic than she generally likes, but the benefits once she arrived at Celebration were worth it.

Marty
Old 12-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #25
bbluvsdis
luv all things Disney!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmonette View Post
Ok, I am having a sad holiday -very sick 13 year old dog :-(
Thinking about happiest place and retirement. Just for fun, has anyone figured how many points you need to live at WDW?
Your post really hit home for me. We have been hoping our 13 year old Westie would make it through the holiday. We will have her at the vet first thing in the morning. It is really sad to her feeling so bad.
We have been looking into renting a house to snowbird in the area. Last year we rented a house for a week before out DVC visit. We thought we would rent in different areas each year to see where we might like to stay for 4 or 5 months in the winter. I don't think I could stay in a studio for months at a time. I think the sofas in the villas are really uncomfortable and eating out very often would get very expensive. My DH wants to move to FL but I'm not convinced yet. I do enjoy trying out the different places and any extra time we get at Disney is good!
Old 12-25-2012, 06:02 PM   #26
bakerworld
DIS Veteran

Our guide said that it was against the rules to stay in a hotel room longer than 4 weeks however someone just wrote on one of the forums that they were staying at OKW for 5 weeks.

AKL 2008, BLT 2009, BCV 2013
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:24 PM   #27
mditkof
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld
Our guide said that it was against the rules to stay in a hotel room longer than 4 weeks however someone just wrote on one of the forums that they were staying at OKW for 5 weeks.
Easy. Multiple reservations. No one is going to force a guest to move for a few days. I have no idea how they would behave if someone tried to stay in the same room a couple of months straight or otherwise abused the flexibility of the front desk.

Marty
Old 12-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #28
WilsonFlyer

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
I'm not sure I'm buying that one. My bet is that there are a LOT of people that stay longer than 4 weeks and that it's likely much more common place than most of us probably think (Think international travelers, especially.).
WilsonFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #29
magicmonette

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbluvsdis View Post
Your post really hit home for me. We have been hoping our 13 year old Westie would make it through the holiday. We will have her at the vet first thing in the morning. It is really sad to her feeling so bad.
We have been looking into renting a house to snowbird in the area. Last year we rented a house for a week before out DVC visit. We thought we would rent in different areas each year to see where we might like to stay for 4 or 5 months in the winter. I don't think I could stay in a studio for months at a time. I think the sofas in the villas are really uncomfortable and eating out very often would get very expensive. My DH wants to move to FL but I'm not convinced yet. I do enjoy trying out the different places and any extra time we get at Disney is good!
Thank you for saying that; sometimes you feel like a nut for loving your pets so much. We have to get to vet in the morning too. We have two 13 year old dogs, one is very ill. Our 14 year old cat died last month. I will just enjoy OTHER people's pets from now on.

About retirement...you know, it's funny what shifts into your priorities! Things that I NEVER saw coming! Like, transportation. We are 51 and 52 years old, and LOVE cars...it's what brought my DH and I tolgether in our teens! But we know that we won't be great drivers forever! And we like not fighting traffic. We live in Louisiana town and there's ZERO public transportation and hardly any bike lanes. Really, DVC offers awesome transportation system, great pedestrian and bike paths. Also super coffee shops. I learned when camping forever with kids how easy it is to live with microwave, refrigerator, and electric skillet. It's amazing what you can do with those items! Then there's grills at each resort for BBQ! A studio at OKW is WAY better than a camper for sure! LOL! Still researching...

Old 12-26-2012, 09:32 AM   #30
Daddio
David's Vacation Club Rentals

DISboards Approved Advertiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
We did 23 days at BLT over New Year's 2010/2011.

David
Better Business Bureau Accredited: ..BBB

Daddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: