Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
tryin
Mouseketeer

On board booking a new cruise newbie

As I prepare to fully love my first upcoming cruise, I am trying to prepare my bank account for a future booking. Is there anyway to anticipate how much I would need to put down for a potential future cruise while on board?
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:48 AM   #2
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryin View Post
As I prepare to fully love my first upcoming cruise, I am trying to prepare my bank account for a future booking. Is there anyway to anticipate how much I would need to put down for a potential future cruise while on board?
Deposits for on-board bookings are 10% instead of 20%. Look up the fare on a cruise you're interested in taking, and that will give you a clue.

If the cruise dates you want aren't available yet, book the cheapest cruise you can find for as far into the future as you can get it. That's called a "dummy" cruise, and you can move the date, add people to it, change rooms, etc. in the future.

There have been rumblings that DCL may change how many times you can modify a booking, but so far they haven't actually said they're going to do that.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #3
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Book a cheap cabin on a 3 night cruise, knowing that you can move it to a date and cabin you want later. Our deposit was under $100 per person.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #4
kdeans1010
DIS Veteran

The man on board booked me as he told me "the changeable date that I'm booking everyone on this cruise for." He booked me for a 3 day cruise in October. I think for 2 people it was a $160 deposit.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:46 PM   #5
tryin
Mouseketeer

Thank you all so much! That is exactly what i needed to know. I will be booking for 4 and that helps me know how much to prepare to pay.
tryin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:35 PM   #6
Yokelridesagain
Mouseketeer

Only additional thing to add is, you get a larger onboard credit if you book a longer cruise. I am not certain, but I believe that if you book a 3 day on board and then switch it to a 7 day later, you still get the smaller ($100) on board credit rather than the $200 credit you get for booking a 7 day upfront. I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

If you're planning to go on a 3 or 4 day, the point is moot.

As far as the original question, just price out what you want online, take 10% off the price, and 10% of that is going to be your deposit, roughly. It could be anywhere from $100 (inside stateroom, older ship out of Miami) to $900 (4A, 7 day holiday cruise on Fantasy).
Yokelridesagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:49 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yokelridesagain View Post
Only additional thing to add is, you get a larger onboard credit if you book a longer cruise. I am not certain, but I believe that if you book a 3 day on board and then switch it to a 7 day later, you still get the smaller ($100) on board credit rather than the $200 credit you get for booking a 7 day upfront. I'm sure someone will correct me if wrong.

If you're planning to go on a 3 or 4 day, the point is moot.

As far as the original question, just price out what you want online, take 10% off the price, and 10% of that is going to be your deposit, roughly. It could be anywhere from $100 (inside stateroom, older ship out of Miami) to $900 (4A, 7 day holiday cruise on Fantasy).
This is wrong. If you move a cruise, you get the benefits that apply to the cruise you move to. If you book a 3 night and move to a 7 night, you get the $200 OBC for the 7 night.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: