Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
nancy drew
DIS Veteran

Eastern Caribbean: Port or Starboard side of ship?

Just curious whether it is preferable to have a port or starboard room when sailing on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy (Port Canaveral, not San Juan)? We will have a verandah, and it would be nice to have a nice view of the ports.

Me DD 10 DS 8
1982: Contemporary 1989: Contemporary 1998: Disneyland (day trip) 2005: Wilderness Lodge 2006: Wilderness Lodge 2007: Contemporary 2008: Disneyland (Park Vue) 2009: Disneyland (HoJo) 2010: Pop Century 2011: Disneyland (PPH/DLH) and Boardwalk 2012: San Diego and Disneyland (PPH) 2013: Polynesian and Port Orleans Riverside 2014: Dolphin and Disney Dream
nancy drew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 06:47 AM   #2
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy drew View Post
Just curious whether it is preferable to have a port or starboard room when sailing on an Eastern Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy (Port Canaveral, not San Juan)? We will have a verandah, and it would be nice to have a nice view of the ports.
Ports are on different sides! We were starboard side and had a lovely view in St Thomas, OK view in St Maarten and lovely view of CC because they backed in! We didn't pick starboard on purpose...found the category and room we wanted but starboard turned out pretty good!

IIRC, the ships usually back into CC but not always so if they couldn't back in, your view could vary.

Besides, we were usually IN the port and not looking at it out our window.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Pulling into San Juan is beautiful as you pass the Fort called El Morro which would be on the Port side but you can get the same view from any of the public decks (I prefer Deck 4 as it is hardly ever crowded and it is easy to cut through the ship to other side if need be) so I do not care at all which side of the ship my cabin is on...verandah or not.

If I can remember on our last cruise to San Juan (non DCL) I think the ship made its turn to back into the port right past El Morro so either side would see it.

Edited to add...after rereading your post it seems you are not on the San Juan itinerary, correct?

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #4
Funky Chicken
misses the Citrus Swirl at Sunshine Tree Terrace!

I like Starboard side regardless of ports. Seems like the brighter side of the ship for a larger portion of the time you are underway.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: