Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 09:37 PM   #1
EskiLvr
Mouseketeer

Question NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament on Ships?

Just thinking ahead... We're on the 3/16 sailing of the Fantasy, and my family ardently follows two different college teams who have a good chance of being in the Men's NCAA basketball tourny. Do these games ever get shown on board? With them being aired on non-ABC or ESPN channels, I wasn't sure...
DVC Since 2008... BCV - 6/08, VLW - 10/09, Royal Pacific and SSR - 7/10... 5 Night Dream Double Dip - 7/11, 7 Night Fantasy Western - 3/13… Family Getaway to SSR Treehouses, June 2014... Counting down to an Alaskan Anniversary Cruise - July 2015!

EskiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Not likely.
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 02:38 AM   #3
footballmouse
DIS Veteran

I think they might have the games on in the evening. When we sailed in Sept. they had the Thursday night football game on the screen by the pools. It was nice laying in the lounge chair watching the game.
footballmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:50 AM   #4
cris0809
Might be why the rum is always gone

This is one thing that has been a bit of a thorn in my side. It seems there is no guarantee as to what will be available on a particular sailing. American Football (NFL) seems highly featured. While logical, as a large portion of those sailing are from the US, it seems to dominate over other sports during that time of year.

For example, we were on the October 20th sailing of the Fantasy. This was during the World Series (MLB) and we checked with O'Gills to see what would be aired. I believe Wednesday night was a go and no problems. Then Thursday night rolls around and we're told that the baseball game is not "featured" so while they have it on smaller screens no audio is available. The Thursday Night Football game was a total blowout, yet we were disallowed audio for the other (season finals AND relevant AND close scoring) even after no turnaround was evident.

Long story short, who knows? I'm not sure what the rules are as far as international waters/broadcasting but many of those games were aired on ESPN at Sea - even programs that wouldn't normally be on ESPN shoreside. Definitely check at the pub, they should be able to give you an idea of what is on for the week.

Because you are sailing at a time of year that should not be competing with too many other sports you may be in luck!
Old 12-23-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
jfis1020
Mrs. Preferred View
Oh I crack myself up
Put some thought into the quotation marks!You want the ten dollar one?... OH YEA THE TEN DOLLAR ONE

We were on the Dream last year and were able to watch the HOOSIERS in the tourney. As long as it is on the CBS feed you should be able to. They showed them in 687 lounge b
Old 12-23-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
MASrules
Mouseketeer

I have been on the Dream for the last two NCAA title games, and both were featured in 687 and on funnelvision with the pools covered.

I have not been on during the early rounds.
MASrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
tvguy
Question anything the facts don't support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MASrules View Post
I have been on the Dream for the last two NCAA title games, and both were featured in 687 and on funnelvision with the pools covered.

I have not been on during the early rounds.
Title games I can see. But having worked at a CBS TV station, March madness is a nightmare. I can only imagine on a ship with limited satellite options and multiple games. I will note that generally the ships get the East coast satellite feeds, and for Baseball/Football/NBA, that may not be the game you want to watch, since they tend to have a different featured game for the west coast.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #8
EskiLvr
Mouseketeer

Thank you...

Even knowing that we'll have a chance at seeing *something* will make this family happy. :-)
DVC Since 2008... BCV - 6/08, VLW - 10/09, Royal Pacific and SSR - 7/10... 5 Night Dream Double Dip - 7/11, 7 Night Fantasy Western - 3/13… Family Getaway to SSR Treehouses, June 2014... Counting down to an Alaskan Anniversary Cruise - July 2015!

EskiLvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
garrettandkatesmom
Earning My Ears

we watched the championship game last year on the Dream on the big screen over the pool.
garrettandkatesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 PM   #10
69pace
Earning My Ears

Our Western Caribbean trip on the Magic in 2010 had a Thursday night football game broadcast in one of the bars. The picture was stalling ( some form of pixelating I suppose ) and was essentially impossible to follow. The audio came in but it wasn't worth it...besides, our Dolphins were getting blasted by the Bears...ugh. It wasn't hard to get over though, we were on one of the two happiest floating places on earth, http://www.wdwinfo.com/images/smilies/cool1.gif
69pace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:59 PM   #11
disneypoor
DH thinks I have a "thing" for Mickey!

DVC Gold Member
Paid DVC Rent/Trade
Gold Membership

Quote:
Originally Posted by EskiLvr View Post
Just thinking ahead... We're on the 3/16 sailing of the Fantasy, and my family ardently follows two different college teams who have a good chance of being in the Men's NCAA basketball tourny. Do these games ever get shown on board? With them being aired on non-ABC or ESPN channels, I wasn't sure...
We are sailing on the Wonder on 3/16, and I am hoping that they show the games! We have 44 people sailing with us, and the guys have been talking about getting some drinks and watching the games. Not sure if I should prepare them ahead of time that they might not see them or if I should just wait and see what happens. There are a few who might back out of the trip....yep, the Jayhawks are that important to them.
11/06 Disneyland, 03/07 7 Night Eastern, 09/07 3 Nights on the
Wonder, 03/08 Cruise to the Hawaiian Islands, 11/08 DD on the Magic,
11/09 3 Nights on the Wonder and WDW, 07/10 Family Vacation to WDW,
02/11 3 Nights on the Dream, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise on the Wonder,
03/12 One Week in Maui, 07/26/12 Bay Lake Tower 1st DVC Stay,
03/16/13 5 Night DCL Western,
07/13 Villas at Grand California, 03/14 5 Night DCL Miami,
05/14 Bay Lake Tower, 08/15 1st trip to Aulani

Upcoming Trips: 03/15 Disney Wonder out of Miami, 07/15 Maui
Trip Reports: 06/06 Wonder, 03/07 Eastern, 06/11 Alaskan Cruise
disneypoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
bigtony777
Disney Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfis1020 View Post
We were on the Dream last year and were able to watch the HOOSIERS in the tourney. As long as it is on the CBS feed you should be able to. They showed them in 687 lounge b
We will be on the Fantasy during the second weekend and I really hope that they will show them again this year. Go HOOSIERS!!!

Upcoming: 11/14 - BWV (W&D 1/2), 12/14 - AKV, 11/15 - Magic Bahamas Cruise

2014: July - BWV, Mar - BLT, Jan - VGC
2013: Dec - AS Sports/BWV , Nov - BWV(W&D 1/2), June - BWV/BCV, ), Mar - BLT/Fantasy Western Caribbean, Jan - BWV (Goofy)
2012: Nov - BWV (W&D 1/2), Aug - Offsite (Disneyland 1/2), June - BCV/WLV, Mar - AKV
2011: Dec - Pop/AS Movies, Nov - Pop, Oct - Dream Bahamas Cruise, BCV (W&D 1/2), July - Pop, June - Offsite, April - Pop
2010: Oct – Wilderness Lodge, AS Music (W&D 1/2), July – Caribbean Beach, April - Pop
2009: Dec – Offsite, Nov - Caribbean Beach, Oct - Coronado Springs, April - Pop
2007: July - Offsite
bigtony777 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: