Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #1
luv2boys
DVC Boardwalk Villas

Which is safer regarding luggage?

We are staying at the BWV and will get there before our room is ready most likely. I was wanting to drop our things off with the front desk for storage and head to Downtown Disney fora few hours until the room was ready. My question is whether it is safer to leave our luggage, and specifically y a laptop, in the luggage storing area at BWV or just leave it in the car at Downtown Disney? WWYD?
luv2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:37 AM   #2
Missytara
I'm all ears!

It will be safer at guest services than in your car at DTD.

Remember, while the parks are paid parking; DTD is free; which means anyone would be roaming around.

Especially if they see you open your trunk to get out something before you leave your car and go into the stores.
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #3
Sue M
DIS Veteran

Leaving it inthe car is the least safest option. Leave it with bell service in a locked suitcase.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR, Aug 2014 Universal Portofino Bay, & WDW GF,

Next trip January 2015 POR Riverside
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #4
DVC-Don
DIS Veteran

Location: Saratoga County, New York and Poinciana (Solivita), Florida in the winters

I had a client who had all their luggage stolen from their rental vehicle while they were checking into Port Orleans Riverside a couple of years ago. Take it in with you and leave it with bell services.
Old 12-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #5
MrBean
Runnin' Dopey

At the Disney resorts I've stayed at, they put high value items in locked cages (they always ask if it's a laptop bag). I take a laptop bag with me, not sure if they'd do the same if you just had it stowed away in a large piece of luggage, but it never hurts to ask.
MrBean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
OThopeful35
DIS Veteran

Do not leave it in your car, cars are broken into all the time...even at Disney I would definitely check it at the hotel.

POR~Aug 2010 (1st visit) POFQ Aug 2011 POP/POFQ Aug 2013
OThopeful35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:43 PM   #7
figment_jii
DIS Veteran

I've always left luggage with bell services and never had a problem. I would also choose that over leaving it in the car at DTD. I suppose if you're really worried, you might consider carrying the laptop with you (assuming it's light enough). I did that with my iPad once, but decided that it would be safe enough with the laptop in bell services' care the next time.
figment_jii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #8
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

We routinely leave our luggage--including lap top and my special medication cooler--with bell services and we've never had a problem.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #9
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

It's much safer at Bell Services.

I know when I stayed at POR and let them know my computer bag needed to be locked up, it was put in a seperate section with a locked cage type area.

I wouldn't trust the trunk of a car at DTD.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:18 PM   #10
fall08CP
Cheesehead

Boardwalk has safety deposit boxes in a side room off the front desk. This is very secure- each box has two keys, they hold one and give you one. The boxes cannot be opened without both keys. Just ask a front desk CM and they'll be happy to assist. I locked up firearms and electronics there on multiple occasions
Old 12-20-2012, 11:05 PM   #11
Upatnoon
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2boys View Post
We are staying at the BWV and will get there before our room is ready most likely. I was wanting to drop our things off with the front desk for storage and head to Downtown Disney fora few hours until the room was ready. My question is whether it is safer to leave our luggage, and specifically y a laptop, in the luggage storing area at BWV or just leave it in the car at Downtown Disney? WWYD?
The odds are extremely, extremely slim that you'll have a problem either way.

However, if you have something so valuable you are worried about it -- and stress and worrying can certainly ruin your vacation fun --- I would not bring it on vacation at all.

Perhaps you can bring an older laptop on your trip or an old iPad.
Upatnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:24 AM   #12
luv2boys
DVC Boardwalk Villas

Thanks everyone....going to leave it with luggage storage locked up. Just feel safer doing that and won't take that much time to do so before heading to DTD.
luv2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 12:28 AM   #13
Mom2six
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC-Don View Post
I had a client who had all their luggage stolen from their rental vehicle while they were checking into Port Orleans Riverside a couple of years ago. Take it in with you and leave it with bell services.
Wow, that is something to remember. I never really think about someone breaking into my car at Disney. Scary to think about someone taking it while you are in registering!
Mom2six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:59 AM   #14
Lizzybean
Mouseketeer

I left our stuff in the van when we hit Epcot for a few hours before checking in. I'm very cautious and it made me uneasy but frankly with all the wrappers and junk everywhere I can't imagine anyone wanting to break in! (We drive from Chicago) I did put blankets over everything and made DH bring the valuables in with him in the backpack...but this isn't something I would normally do.

June 2014: Beach Club!
Jan/Feb 2013 at POR
July/August 2012: Fort Wilderness FUN
July 2011: Offsite
90s: Offsite

I'm addicted to the pixie dust!

ME DH DS15 DD10 DD6
Lizzybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 AM   #15
kkbutterfly
Mouseketeer

I too would say bell services and don't forget to LOCK your bags! My last stay at the Contempory, they let us back to grab our own luggage and I was shocked at how many bags didn't have locs on them. We lock every single bag we leave anywhere!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: