Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando airport transportation questions and share tips.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Transportation
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
missybe
Earning My Ears

To hire a car or use the DW transport???

Im planning the once in a lifetime trip to DW in 2015 (yes a few years in advance but its going to take that long to save ) I was wondering is it better to hire a car or use the DW transport (DH, DD 11, DD 6.5 and Myself coming all the way from Perth Western Australia) Ive been a bit scared by some of the comments regarding how long it takes to get to some of the places around the park. My DD's would love to do Cinderella's Happy Ever After dinner at the Floridian (Im just as excited lol) and Im worried it will take 2hrs to get there (thinking of staying at the Art of Animation). Sorry for the long winded question but I want this to be a really special holiday Thank you
missybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:10 PM   #2
KrazeeK120
DIS Veteran

Well, it's definitely way cheaper (as in, free) to use the Disney transport rather than to take a taxi.

I think long bus waits are more the exception than the rule. I've been to Disney 3 times as an adult, all during peak season (twice during spring break and once in the summer), and I can't ever remember waiting excessively long for a bus.

If you find yourself tight on time sometime, you can definitely grab a taxi. Or if you would be more comfortable using one for your special occasion that you must be at by a certain time, I think that would be fine. But I wouldn't take one everywhere you go. It'll cost way too much, in my opinion.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #3
missybe
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much Krazee120
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #4
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

The only time it has taken me more than an hour to get from resort to resort was when there was a breakdown in the transportation along the way. Usually, it was the monorail!!!
More often, it takes about an hour from resort to resort. For instance...if you are at AoA (very fun resort by the way!!!), and you want to get to the GF for a meal??? Leave about 70 mins prior to the ADR time. You may have a bit of a wait for the bus at AoA (anywhere from 1-20 mins, but usually closer to 10 on average), then the ride to MK (about 10 mins), then take either the boat (wait time could be 15 mins, actual ride is under 10) or monorail (wait from 0-10 mins, ride just under 20 mins) over to the GF. Personally? I like the boat ride. The GF is the first stop before it goes on to the Polynesian.
If the MK is still open after dinner, then reverse all that to get back to AoA. If it's closed, head to an open park and take their bus back to AoA or just take a cab back.

Yes, official info says to allow 2 hrs to get from point A to point B...but that's a worst case scenario. I seldom have issues with WDW transportation.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #5
pepe of ohio
DIS Veteran

Location: Hubbard, Ohio, northeast Ohio 7 miles from Pa. border

Nothing to worry about.... We've taken 47 trips to WDW, never used or rented a car or taxi.... Relied solely on WDW transportation and have had no problems.....

Yeah, sometimes you may get the longer bus wait. So what, extra 10 minutes... No big deal since its all free....

Push cones to shove, taxis are available but we've never had the need in all our trips...

We also don't plan eating at a bunch of different resorts, our resort choice suffices us fine... We're not foodies nor care for the dining plans ....and other resorts don't interest us....

Hitting the parks from your resort and back is easy and quick using whatever transportation is available .... It's part of the adventure and fun for us, being speedy is not a requirement when we're on vacation!

DIS Dads Club Member
pepe of ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
wdwrich
DIS Veteran

We've done our trips both ways (with/without a rental car). Unless you plan on late dinners at resort hotels, you will probably be fine using Disney Transportation. However, if you do have late dinners at resorts (we almost always do), then having a car is the way to go. Once the parks close at night, you would have to bus to DTD and transfer there to get back to your hotel, and it's usually a long process (over 1.5 hours in many cases). Not fun at the end of a long day.

WDW - 11 visits since 1979 (Polynesian x5, P.O. Riverside x2, Contemporary x2, Yacht Club, Coronado Springs, Shades of Green). Going back in 2015.
DLR - Yearly since 1984 (AP holders)
wdwrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
a742246
older than dirt

Since 2015 is a little way off.... Other options I would do is looking into renting
DVC Disney Vacation Points from someone and staying in one of those resorts.

Example Beach club, Broadwalk are within walking distance to Epcot and the Studios,
BLT is within walking distance to MK.

This is just a thought since you are 2 years out.

Good luck!
a742246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:11 AM   #8
missybe
Earning My Ears

Thanks everybody for the help :-)
Old 01-05-2013, 12:24 PM   #9
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Another thing to think about is that since you're from Australia, you'd be driving on the opposite side of the road than you're used to, which personally, I don't think I could do.
siskaren is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: