Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > The DIS Unplugged Podcast
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Hello fellow Disers! I'm kinda bummed out right now. Disney World is my favorite place. I listen to podcasts and read about Disney constantly.

My husband and I have decided to put any vacation plans on hold for the next couple of years. We are expecting our first child in July, and want to focus on paying down his student loans. Knowing that it will probably be at least 3 years before we plan our next trip, I feel like I don't belong here any more. Am I just being an emotional pregnant lady? I really feel like you guys are my friends but what can I contribute if I'm not going to Disney yearly?
Old 12-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
misstheworld
My Prince Charming is mecarroll

You're not the only one! I'm due in April (also first baby) and we don't have plans to return to the World for awhile. However, I love how the boards and podcasts help me stay connected to what's going on.

Congratulations on your newest family member!
misstheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Sarabi's Cubs
DIS Veteran

Of course you belong!!!! I think that people who can't go often have a very valuable perspective and I know I've heard members of the podcast team validate that. Most people who visit Disney don't live in Orlando and are not able to visit several times a year. It's easy to get a little jaded and notice what's missing when you see something all the time, so I think it's important to hear from people who are experiencing things for the first time (or for the first time in awhile).

Disney's not just a place that you visit. It's a mindset, and being on the boards and listening to the podcast helps keep that magic alive between trips.

Congrats to both of you!!!!

Laurie

Contemporary 1972, Fort Wilderness 7/79, WDW offsite 6/84, WDW offsite 12/89, GF 9/96, BC 11/03, Disneyland offsite 6/05, BC 4/08, YC 1/2010, POR 12/2010, Disney Magic New Year's Cruise 12/2010, DIS Exclusive Knights & Lights ABD 9/11, Easter Dream cruise 4/2012, BWV 10/2012, Kidani 4/2013, DIS Exclusive Once Upon a Fairytale ABD 9/13, Kidani 12/13, DIS Exclusive Viva Italia ABD 9/14
Sarabi's Cubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Congrats on your new addition (both of you)! I can definitely understand your feelings about not being able to contribute - I feel the same way! I haven't been in a couple of years and I have no concrete plans to travel there soon so I'm in the same boat. I am hopeful for a "surprise" Christmas gift of an Easter trip but it might just be wishful thinking on my part. So I'm cooling my heels here living vicariously through those who are going or have gone recently. I think that's why I hang out on the Unplugged board because I have nothing to contribute to the Theme Parks board So let's all long for the World together!
Stacy's a freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #5
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

As echoed above, of COURSE you belong here!

There's a lot more to the DIS than planning a Disney trip. There are dozens of people who haven't gone to the World in years or even at all, but join in threads due to the camaraderie or to stay connected to Disney happenings; some are in your exact situation and have trips in mind for many years down the road. There are also forums for non-Disney topics: Budget Board, Disney Movies, Music, & Games, The Creative Community (for crafters and cooks), and more.

Start poking around, and I guarantee that you'l find threads that are not about trip planning. I also hope you join in the fun here on the Podcast forum. If not, we will have to start PMing you with "Come back" messages! Just kidding!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
SamSam

DIS Veteran

As others have said, "You Belong Here". Keep coming and sharing because we're a big family here. You may not be able to visit for awhile, but eventually you will and you will be glad you stayed connected.
Old 12-11-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Phoenixblue
Mouseketeer

again - of course you should be here! I think that is what the Dis is for!
We get to go every 2 years, if we are lucky. So we don't go all that often.
But we get our fix on the boards and listening to the Podcast.

And we plan our trips and alter plans or add plans all based on ideas and information from the boards and podcast. So even if it will be years before you go, you can be planning a trip - I have spreadsheets for future trips - I am currently planning 2014 - a cruise and Christmas trip, and 2016 - our first trip to Disneyland for DS 10th birthday. We just went on DDs 10th bday trip to the World.

Like Disney, love Disney, going to Disney, planing to go to Disney . . . just want to talk about Disney . . . we do it all here! Lurker to moderator - I feel all are welcome and all are wanted.

and congrats on your little one!

Phoenixblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
SA mom
DIS Veteran

Why don't you just start planning that first trip with Little Walt or Lillian?
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM   #9
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA mom
Why don't you just start planning that first trip with Little Walt or Lillian?
I might start doing that!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:12 PM   #10
jessrose18
ADVENTURE IS OUT THERE!!

come on over to the budget board they have lots of great ideas
Old 12-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #11
Leigha
DIS Veteran

I think the podcast board is more about family/friends than parks anyway so of course you belong! It will also keep you up to date for when you are ready to go!!
Leigha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
parrotheadlois
DIS Veteran

Don't go, we'll miss you!
Old 01-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #13
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

I'm still hanging around! I'm looking for some legit opportunities to use some of my skills to work from home at night to pay down the debt faster.

These boards really do feel like a community and have given me so much hope and support. Thank you all so much!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #14
Cherinva
Co-Host of the Va. DIS Meet and avid pin collector

Just because you can't go to WDW for awhile, you still belong here.....we are all Disney Fans......

I know how you feel though, I don't have any plans for a trip to WDW this year....in fact I'm not sure when I can go again....

Don't let yesterday use up too much of todayºoº
Cherinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #15
Riverhill
DIS Veteran

I feel your pain. I am on the other end of life. My baby is off to college this year and the price of tuition will put off Disney for at least 5 years for us. I use the boards and the podcasts to bring me closer to my favorite place. I love hearing about others fun and plans. I can live through them for now and dream of someday.

Riverhill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: