Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 12:27 AM   #31
ZoeBell
Mouseketeer

I've cruised with both Carnival and RCCL with children. We enjoyed both lines while recognizing neither we're family oriented. We are not party people and most of the time had no problem avoiding those areas. While the shows weren't geared for kids we all enjoyed them. We also found enough to do on both lines for us as a family.

This time around I specifically chose DCL for a few reasons. I'm the only adult going and I wanted a total family atmosphere. While I don't mind relaxing with a good book while my kids are off having a good time in the clubs, I wanted them to never be bored. I also like that there seems to be a lot we can do together. I'll let you know in January if it works. The kids are almost 14, and I'm hoping I didn't miss the "Disney is still cool" stage.

Last edited by ZoeBell; 12-23-2012 at 01:32 AM.
ZoeBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 AM   #32
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

I'm convinced it is the right cruise for us , I love Disney , it is my happy place , after seeing and reading all reviews , I think we will have to sail DCL for our first cruise , of course , being a mousejunkie , doesn't take much to convince me

the free drinks save us 200.00 immediately as my family are big soda drinkers on vacation , brings me to DCL only being about 500.00 more , and without the Ben & Jerry's or Jonny Rockets , we will be saving those cover charges as well , I think it makes sense for us , great ports , CC , a happy Disney planning Mom , what else is needed

thanks for all your input , it's always appreciated DIS rocks !!!!
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
stitchaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 AM   #33
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchaholic View Post
I'm convinced it is the right cruise for us , I love Disney , it is my happy place , after seeing and reading all reviews , I think we will have to sail DCL for our first cruise , of course , being a mousejunkie , doesn't take much to convince me

the free drinks save us 200.00 immediately as my family are big soda drinkers on vacation , brings me to DCL only being about 500.00 more , and without the Ben & Jerry's or Jonny Rockets , we will be saving those cover charges as well , I think it makes sense for us ,great ports , CC , a happy Disney planning Mom , what else is needed

There is no additional charge for soda - as long as it's from the drink station or a dining room. If you order it at a bar, from room service, or at the theater, you will be charged for it.

Which "great ports" are you referring to?
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:51 AM   #34
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:

the free drinks save us 200.00 immediately as my family are big soda drinkers on vacation , brings me to DCL only being about 500.00 more , and without the Ben & Jerry's or Jonny Rockets , we will be saving those cover charges as well , I think it makes sense for us , great ports , CC , a happy Disney planning Mom , what else is needed

Great ports? I'm a fan too, but c'mon.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (6/2014 BLT/AKV) (11/2014 5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 AM   #35
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight View Post
DCL's 2013 Med cruises go to some great ports, but I'm sure that's not what the OP is considering for a January cruise!
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #36
cruisecrasher
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by EPCOTatNight
If she's a first time cruiser, she'll be thrilled to visit Castaway Cay (for that matter, I still am!)
Upcoming Trips:

Upcoming Fantasy Cruise!
cruisecrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:48 AM   #37
Raspberry Beret
Mouseketeer

We sail Disney for the FREE SODA, FREE SOAP and SHAMPOO! The ships are nice too.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #38
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspberry Beret View Post

We sail Disney for the FREE SODA, FREE SOAP and SHAMPOO!
LOL!

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:52 AM   #39
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Liberty of the Seas ice show

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruadisneyfan2 View Post

. . . When we wanted to see the ice skating show on Liberty, it began around 30 mins after the start of dinner so we had to miss our MDR meal that night to see the show. DCL offers 2 shows: one early for those with late dining, then a later show for those on early dining. No need to miss dinner just to see a show. The show was free but you had to go somewhere to get tickets in advance.
When we sailed on the Liberty of the Seas, the ice show was offered on different days and times. No need to miss dinner.

Also, free ticket reservations were available online weeks before sailing. Just reserve and print the confirmation at home.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 04:28 PM   #40
deanimal
DIS Veteran

I think the ports Disney visits are just fine.......the first time or two. I just wish they would give more incentive for people who like visiting new places to keep coming back without having to cross the ocean to get new ports!
deanimal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM   #41
lovethedream
DIS Veteran

For us, it is the service, the ship, the food, and castaway cay. Oh, and the fireworks. We have sailed the Wonder twice.

We have also been on RC and Carnival, and still when we sit down to discuss a cruise, DCL tops the list.

Unfortunately for us, the cost of the cruise is a reality we must face.

We have also discovered we are smaller ship people. Having been on the Freedom of the Seas and Carnivals Ecstasy, we actually preferred the Ecstasy and hope to sail on her again someday.

Hope you enjoy your cruise.
lovethedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #42
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
that was nice ....... I guess you've been on one too many to appreciate it , when you have never been to Cozumel , or Cayman , their great and beautiful , especially when we left the cold , icy streets of Montreal in January .... , but thanks for dropping by to poke fun , it's aways appreciated , as long as you had a good laugh I guess it's ok , Merry Christmas , I find the holidays a nice time to look around and appreciate what I have in my life and be grateful for it .
WLV-jan 2nd,2010 , AKL july 2011 , ASMo2012 , AKV 2012 , july 2013 Universal/SW/DC
Old 12-24-2012, 09:32 AM   #43
EPCOTatNight
I am the Polynesian Parking guy and the Original DISard of Oz.

Quote:
that was nice ....... I guess you've been on one too many to appreciate it , when you have never been to Cozumel , or Cayman , their great and beautiful , especially when we left the cold , icy streets of Montreal in January .... , but thanks for dropping by to poke fun , it's aways appreciated , as long as you had a good laugh I guess it's ok , Merry Christmas , I find the holidays a nice time to look around and appreciate what I have in my life and be grateful for it .
What I meant is that the variety of ports are lacking.
(8/2006 ASMo) (8/2007 Pop) (5/2009 3 night Wonder) (12/2009 ASM/Pop) (1/2011 Pop) (1/2012 CSR/WL) (1/2013 ASMo/4 night Dream) (5/2013 6 night Magic*Galveston*) (12/2013 7 night Fantasy) (3/2014 SSR) (6/2014 BLT/AKV) (11/2014 5 night Wonder*Miami*) (1/2015 AKV/BLT)

EPCOTatNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:36 AM   #44
stitchaholic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
What I meant is that the variety of ports are lacking.
A non issue for me as I have never been to any of them , RCCL has some different ones , not ones I want to go to for now .
appreciate you clearing that up
Old 12-24-2012, 09:38 AM   #45
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

Quote:
Cozumel and Cayman are beautiful ports, and of course Castaway Cay. Unfortunately the shortest cruises go to Nassau, and that's "one and done" as far as we're concerned.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: