Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2012, 10:04 AM   #31
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Is it possible the baby climbed onto something and went OVER the railing? Regardless of the circumstances, I hope the baby and family are faring well. That poor dad probably feels AWFUL!
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Is it possible the baby climbed onto something and went OVER the railing? Regardless of the circumstances, I hope the baby and family are faring well. That poor dad probably feels AWFUL!
It's totally possible the baby may have done that. Just going by the only detailed reports I've seen, they say the baby crawled under the wall.

Sayhello
NOW POSTING! My DIS Unplugged London/Paris/Disneyland Paris Trip Report! (2011)
Now posting my Greek Odyssey Trip Report (2013)

sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
SweetMissy
DIS Veteran

We've sailed on Celebrity and Carnival and they didn't have plexiglass.
Pop Century...3/2006!
All Star Movies...1/2011!
Pop Century...2/2012
All Star Movies...4/2013
AKL-Kidani Villas...5/2014
All Star Sports...2/2015 (just me and hubby)
SweetMissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:11 PM   #34
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetMissy View Post
We've sailed on Celebrity and Carnival and they didn't have plexiglass.
Both cruise lines have quite a few ships! Specifically - where did they not have plexiglass on the ships you sailed? Monarch of the Seas appears to have plexiglass all around deck 11, which is the deck the baby is alleged to have fallen from.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:01 PM   #35
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

So so sad.

I personally think the cruise line cannot be blamed for this.
They can only take responsibility for the passengers so far, and then the rest is up to us.

Thoughts and prayers to the parents and so close to Christmas.
Cruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:56 PM   #36
jpeka65844
DIS Veteran

My most vivid nightmares after having DD 2 1/2 were A) a scenario where she was kidnapped and B) a scenario where she fell off a balcony to a flight of stairs below.

We currently have a verandah stateroom booked for March of 2014 and this story almost made me change it.

jpeka65844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:13 PM   #37
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeka65844
My most vivid nightmares after having DD 2 1/2 were A) a scenario where she was kidnapped and B) a scenario where she fell off a balcony to a flight of stairs below.

We currently have a verandah stateroom booked for March of 2014 and this story almost made me change it.
I know what you mean. We had a verandah almost two years ago when our kids were 2 and 4. I don't remember being overly concerned at the time but I'm sure I was. We have a cruise coming up in May with a verandah and I've been a wreck just thinking about it. A family member is generously paying for it and we asked to have a less expensive room without the verandah but she insists. Really I'd rather have no verandah regardless of cost even though we originally thought of it to save her some money. So frightening.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #38
Cruiser76
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAJPLO View Post
I know what you mean. We had a verandah almost two years ago when our kids were 2 and 4. I don't remember being overly concerned at the time but I'm sure I was. We have a cruise coming up in May with a verandah and I've been a wreck just thinking about it. A family member is generously paying for it and we asked to have a less expensive room without the verandah but she insists. Really I'd rather have no verandah regardless of cost even though we originally thought of it to save her some money. So frightening.
Not really considering DCL has two locks on the verandah door and it is heavy to open, and DCL verandah's have plexiglass and if you are all out on it you supervise your kids?
All other areas on the ship are fall-proof and kid friendly like your verandah?

Just watch them when they are with you and all will be fine!
The father on the RC cruise cannot have been watching or taking proper care of his child.

So tragic and sad that this has happened.
Cruiser76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #39
MAJPLO
DIS Veteran

The cruise in May will be on Royal Caribbean, not Disney. I know they are irrational fears because I'm crazy about watching my kids and holding on to them. I think some if it is that we haven't been on Royal Caribbean before so don't know exactly what to expect.

Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera March 2011
Oasis of the Seas Eastern Caribbean May 2013
Sapphire Princess California Coastal January 2014
Disney Magic Southern Caribbean September 2014
MAJPLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #40
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The first line of defense has to be the parent. You simply can't let an infant out of your control. That's not sight, it is control.

DCL has MANY built in safeguards--the door to the balcony is very heavy (as in difficult for some adults). There is a lock at adult shoulder height as well as the handle mechanism. On the balcony itself, there is plexiglass on the inside of the metal bars so that a child can't get a foothold. The railing is about 4 1/2 feet high. Yes, I suppose a kid could move the furniture over to the balcony railing and get over it by climbing onto the furniture, but it hasn't happened....in 15 years and lots of kids.

In public areas of the ship, there is plexiglass similarly, in many areas running literally floor to ceiling.

I obviously don't know the detail of what happened to the child in the original post, but it couldn't happen if the child was truly under the parent's control. Sorry...I'm terrified as I see very young children allowed to walk thru a parking lot without being required to hold a parent's hand or keep a hand on the stroller of a younger sib. I guess I never had a child who wouldn't cooperate, but if you have one, maybe they need a leash! It beats being hit by a car, going overboard on a ship, or whatever.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:15 PM   #41
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The only thing that I have ever seen on a DCL ship that was unsafe was when we were on Deck 4 on the Magic. Someone was walking by and touching the railing as they went along. There are points where the railing is actually gated, where you would board the lifeboats through if needed. I had never noticed it before, but as they walked past one of those openings the railing swung out. A CM was nearby and noticed this. They quickly latched it. We were in port at the time. I make sure that we don't stop at those points when walking on Deck 4 now and I still keep an eye on the kids even though they are older. I have pointed this out to them so they are aware of it also.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 10:49 PM   #42
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
The only thing that I have ever seen on a DCL ship that was unsafe was when we were on Deck 4 on the Magic. Someone was walking by and touching the railing as they went along. There are points where the railing is actually gated, where you would board the lifeboats through if needed. I had never noticed it before, but as they walked past one of those openings the railing swung out. A CM was nearby and noticed this. They quickly latched it. We were in port at the time. I make sure that we don't stop at those points when walking on Deck 4 now and I still keep an eye on the kids even though they are older. I have pointed this out to them so they are aware of it also.
Omg scary! Note to self about walking deck 4 when at sea especially.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM   #43
luv2sleep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves
Can anyone open that latch or is it padlocked? I know I'm paranoid but that is the first thing that's freaked me out about Disney. We hung out on deck 4 quite a bit.
Old 12-23-2012, 11:16 PM   #44
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

The latch was on the outside of the railing from what I saw. I haven't looked at them closely to know what kind of latch it is. Sorry.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #45
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2sleep View Post
Can anyone open that latch or is it padlocked? I know I'm paranoid but that is the first thing that's freaked me out about Disney. We hung out on deck 4 quite a bit.

Since the gate are to enable the loading of the lifeboats, by law they cannot padlock or lock the gate in any way. That is why its on the outsdie ot the gate to try and keep people from opening the gate .

Sounds to me like someone was playing with the latch and left it not properly secured/closed.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: