Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
bostonberry
Earning My Ears

Question 1st Orlando visit - pls help me decide: Art of Animation or Marriott Cypress Harbour

My husband and I are doing the first week in May 2013 with my then 5 and 7 year old daughters.

Found Cypress Harbour's 2 bedroom suite offered @ $570 week phenomenal value. PLENTY of room and a kitchen! Yet enticed to stay on property to reap benefits of not renting a car.

Art of Animation cost $879
Marriott Cypress Harbour cost $570

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
bostonberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #2
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

How set on are you on staying at art of animation? as that for a family suite or a Little mermaid room? You can get rooms at All Star Music starting at about 767. I plan Disney Vacations for on site guests if you would like any assistance feel free to ask, or I can send you to the site.

http://www.disneywebcontent.com/dcc/...0d864a8c0RCRD/

Last edited by Mike7468; 12-21-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Mike7468 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Jasperann
DIS Veteran

Our family will not stay off site. We really enjoy not worrying about having a car. If you add in the cost of parking and renting a car it is probably pretty close money wise.

I guess it is a matter of what you want.. do you want a full size kitchen, will you be cooking? Do you like the idea of not having to worry about directions and just enjoying the ride to the park?

We have stayed at a value before and my kids LOVED it!! We stayed at All Star Music and the music and games they have by the pool daily were so much fun. They were a little bit disappointed that we were not going back there this trip. But we are going Deluxe so they will be happy the pool I am sure. lol

There will most likely be some kind of discount for May as well... Just as an FYI

FW March 2010 ~ ASMu May 2011 ~ BWI Deluxe CL May 2013 ~ ASMu March 2014 ~ AKL Villas October 2014
Jasperann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
PSUGuy
Bill From PA

We've stayed at all levels of WDW resorts and at Swan and Dolphin, off site twice. We'd gladly pay more to stay at a Disney Value as opposed to a 4 Star off site. You may want to look into renting points from a DVC member and staying at a Disney Vacation Club Resort. We're staying at BoardWalk in Oct, 2013, 8 nights for $880 total.

Bill From PA

PSUGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:04 PM   #5
Canooknic
Mouseketeer

I have stayed at a private villa, a Disney recommended hotel and this time we're staying at POR. I can't wait to relax and not worry about driving/parking, or having a glass of wine (or 2!!) with dinner - especially while going around Epcot!

We have chosen POR on a recommendation from a previous Disney employee so are hoping for a really great trip!
Canooknic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Mom2Elliot
Mouseketeer

For your first visit especially, stay onsite!
Mom2Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
bek
Mouseketeer

As a previous poster said, I highly recommend staying onsite for your first visit.

If you rent a car, you'll have car rental, parking costs at the theme park and maybe at the hotel, gas, etc. All of which will probably add up to any cost savings.

Plus you'll miss all the fun of being at a Disney resort. If you opt for Art of Animation, the Big Blue pool is fabulous! The rooms are incredibly themed for children. At all the Disney resorts, there are movies and other activities specifically for children.
bek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #8
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

We stay onsite because WDW is what we are going to Orlando for, and we love being immersed in the Disney experience. We enjoy not driving for a week, and find the Disney transportation to be effective and part of the fun. While you're there you can explore other resorts too and see lots of things and never have to leave Disney. The resorts just become a big part of the whole experience for us.

It is funny, people ask about our Orlando trip, and we instead refer to it as a WDW trip, since we never go anywhere off property.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #9
bostonberry
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the responses. Good reminder about the parking, $14/day. I'll revisit the All-Star resorts and renting points.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 AM   #10
sunsetbeachgal
DIS Veteran

The benefits of staying on site also include the Extra magic Hours when the on-site resort guests either get in early or parks open late and the bus system for the parks. And you really do not need a rental car if you flying and are staying on-site with the magical Express. With your kids ages they will love staying on site, but you need to expect that that rooms are quite small. If possible you might want to look into moderate resorts...perhaps a discount will come out for your dates that will make it more affordable.

Family Reunion trip at Disney ASMu Nov. 7-13, 2010. It was perfect
March, 2012 Disney getaway at Coronado Springs for the adults only!
October, 2012 went to Disneyland..and I've never seen such crowds anywhere in my life!
June 15-22, 2013. Family trip to WDW at POFQ First WDW Summer trip..fantastic!
March, 2014. Universal Studios and cruise on Freedom of the Seas
January, 2015, Art of Animation
sunsetbeachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:34 PM   #11
brucerob62
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonberry View Post
My husband and I are doing the first week in May 2013 with my then 5 and 7 year old daughters.

Found Cypress Harbour's 2 bedroom suite offered @ $570 week phenomenal value. PLENTY of room and a kitchen! Yet enticed to stay on property to reap benefits of not renting a car.

Art of Animation cost $879
Marriott Cypress Harbour cost $570

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
The big question is roominess or the whole Disney experience. Which is more important.

I have 4 in my family 2 double beds won't cut it for us. If you can afford it go to a moderate resort POr or CSR have 2 queens. If not stay offside rent a car and after paying for parking at the parks you will pay the same either way. So it's up to you as to what is most important.
brucerob62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #12
merc442
Earning My Ears

bostonberry, where did you find the $570/week deal at Cypress Harbour? We're planning to stay at a resort near Sea World for the middle of May and that looked like a nice resort.
merc442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
Knuckleball
Earning My Ears

I certainly understand that each family has its own preferences and needs, so do what works for you, but I hope you will consider staying on site. We are "Disney veterans" who have found there to be a huge difference when we've stayed in a Disney resort vs. off-site. While the extra magic hours and convenience of Disney transportation are the obvious benefits, being immersed in the Disney experience fulltime really has added so much more to our vacations.

We have stayed almost exclusively at the moderates with one trip at the Wilderness Lodge because we've found the landscaping adds a lot to creating a relaxing environment. We tend to head off to the park in the early morning and come back to the resort in midafternoon, take a dip in the pool, go for a walk around the landscaped grounds, or grab a quick nap in the room. Then, we like to head back to the park for the evening parades and fireworks. When we stayed offsite, we found that having to navigate the traffic on Route 4 to get back to a hotel not only took us out of the Disney mood but also created stress so, we stayed in the parks longer and everyone was exhausted.

Our son is now in college and my wife and I are planning our first "just adults" trip. At this point, we probably enjoy our time at the resorts as much as being in the parks. For us, even as adults, being encompassed in the Disney experience is a break from the realities of our busy jobs and challenges of daily life...it's so rejuvenating to be able to just block all that out for a few days! I know that some people may not understand this or may actually like the break from Disney that comes with being off-site...to each his/her own. Whether you are on or off-site, you and your family will have a great time!
Knuckleball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:18 PM   #14
mickey2minnie1
DIS Veteran

Onsite is amazing and will give you ease of planning and returning. the kds would love any resort on property because they will just be so happy to be there.

DH and I will not sleep in anything less than a queen bed. It is our vacation and sleep is important to us.

Good luck!
Nov/Dec 2010 5 nights at the Poly with my 3 children
June 2010 3 nights at the Poly w/ DH
Oct/Nov 2009 8 nights at the Poly GVCL
Oct/Nov 2007 9 nights at the Poly

Me DH DS 17 DS 14 DD 12 Sebastian 6
mickey2minnie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 09:27 PM   #15
bostonberry
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc442 View Post
bostonberry, where did you find the $570/week deal at Cypress Harbour? We're planning to stay at a resort near Sea World for the middle of May and that looked like a nice resort.
Buying a "Getaway" through a family member who owns timeshare with Interval International. $527 for the week plus a $50 fee, $577 for the week

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: