Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-26-2012, 01:21 PM   #76
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by T*Bird View Post
Well, hello there, Shelly! Better late than never, I guess!

Thanks for the heads up!

First of all, I hope you had a Merry Christmas......in spite of everything you had going on. I assumed your family plans were cancelled when you said your DS had the stomach flu. Maybe y'all can have a little post-Christmas get-together when everyone is well. You sure don't want to take chances with your step-mom's immune system. I'm glad DS13 is feeling better now. And hoping, of course, that no one else gets it!

Did you get the snow that was forecast? We had the strangest Christmas weather I can ever remember. They had been saying for days that we were going to get some pretty bad storms. But how many times do they get it right that far in advance? Just like checking the Disney forecast before a trip - hardly ever! But this time they were very accurate. It was hot - not Christmas-like at all. And then the most ominous clouds started rolling in, and the beep-beep-beep tornado warnings on TV, followed by strong winds and thunderstorms. Luckily, no tornadoes hit near us, but there were many pretty close by and in other southern states.

Now, for your reviews. As usual, great descriptions and pictures. That is an awful lot of construction going on at the GF. You will do a lot of people good if they know in advance what they are in store for. For me, I would want to change resorts if I had enough advance warning. That's just too much going on that takes away from the atmosphere. Your room and location looked really nice, though. And how neat being next door to Jodi and fam!

It really is a shame about the people who don't know when to say when. When anything is free (well, not FREE free, but included) I think some people just go hog-wild and know no limits. You're right, Disney needs to have some way to cut them off when they can't seem to control themselves.

I love your Poly pics! I'm glad that was where the longest part of your stay was. Your room and view look great, too. The pin-trading CM does look a little disinterested.

Looking forward to more!

Hey there stranger, about time you stopped by!!

Well my step-mom ended up in the hospital yesterday, is still there actually. So it hasn't exactly been a great Christmas for our family. Hopefully she will get out of the hospital soon and we can all get together.

Well as of this morning we didn't have any snow. They forecasted it to start around 5-6am and be extremely bad with almost no visibility by 9-10am. It actually started around 11am and is now to the point where it is really bad. I can barely see the house across the street. And DH is at work, about 30 miles from here.

Glad you didn't get any tornadoes! I saw on the news that TX did.

Glad you are enjoying the reviews! You know me, I just like to tell it like I see it! No, I really did enjoy my time at the GF, but like you said - so glad the longer part of our stay was at the Poly!

I know, you are so right. When something is free/included people just go hog wild. It's a shame.

Lots more Poly pics to share. And I hope to start a TR soon!
Momof2Disneyboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #77
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

This is from the stairs on the Hawaii side of the Samoa building, looking at the work on the other side of Samoa...

Looking at the back side of Samoa (the quiet pool side) ~

Looks like it's the same mess at the Niue building ~

Peaking in through the fence ~

Not sure exactly what they are doing in there...

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-26-2012, 01:38 PM   #78
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Panoramic shots from our balcony ~

Almost every evening there was some sort of holiday entertainment in the lobby. One night it was these guys ~

Electric Water Pageant from the Poly beach ~

Old 12-26-2012, 01:50 PM   #79
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Holiday Wishes (from MVMCP) from the Poly beach ~

Old 12-26-2012, 02:40 PM   #80
deserrai
DIS Veteran

Hi. Just wanted to say I'm loving your report. I'm dying to stay at Poly, but I can't make myself spend the money. You are helping convince me!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:47 PM   #81
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserrai View Post
Hi. Just wanted to say I'm loving your report. I'm dying to stay at Poly, but I can't make myself spend the money. You are helping convince me!

Hi there! Glad you are enjoying the report!

I used to say the same thing - wanted to stay at the Poly, but didn't want to spend the money to stay there. But let me tell you - it is worth every penny!!
Old 12-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #82
jaz0308
Mouseketeer

Hi! Thank you for the wonderful trip report! I stayed at the poly 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! We are booked for a split stay at SOG /Poly this summer and I'm so excited! What scares me are the rumblings of construction at Poly. I am sadly thinking of switching to beach club. Have you heard anything about construction on the pool or GCH area? Thank you if you have any info!
jaz0308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:20 PM   #83
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz0308 View Post
Hi! Thank you for the wonderful trip report! I stayed at the poly 2 years ago and absolutely loved it! We are booked for a split stay at SOG /Poly this summer and I'm so excited! What scares me are the rumblings of construction at Poly. I am sadly thinking of switching to beach club. Have you heard anything about construction on the pool or GCH area? Thank you if you have any info!

Hi! Glad you are enjoying the report, hope it's helpful to you!

I have heard rumors about Poly construction/rehab as well. Not sure how much of it is true though. I know they are giving the rooms a rehab, one building at a time. Which really shouldn't even be noticeable to the guests, since they will be closing each building as they work on it. But I have heard rumors of them closing the volcano pool and doing some rehab there as well was adding a hot tub. I'm thinking that will come as soon as they get the GF courtyard pool done, this spring. And then there are always the rumors out there that they are going to demolish the GCH and rebuild it to include DVC rooms....but who knows about that one!

Personally, I am going to stay away from the Poly in 2013 because I don't want to have to deal with any type of resort construction. Especially since I will be going in the summer and don't want to be without the pool! But hopefully sometime soon we will hear official word of what they are doing and when...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #84
3DisneyBuggs
The only way I would fly is if John Travolta is the pilot!
Maroon is my color, like the pom poms!
Now I owe tag tax

Thanks for the great reviews and pics! I could almost smell the GCH as I looked at your pictures. We will be there in August, I hope the volcano pool won't be closed then. Imagine only a quiet pool in Disney summer heat! Gawsh Mickey, that's not nice!
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 AM   #85
disneydreamfan14
See Ya Real Soon!

great report!

Joining in the discussion, I'm enjoying reading your trip report!

I have to say, the Alice in Wonderland water play area looks fun, but its definitely more suited for a value, not the GF! To me, the GF symbolizes elegance, not a loud splash area.
Disney Cruise Line
•2011 - Disney Dream 3-night Bahamas
Disneyland
•2012 - Day Trip
disneydreamfan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:32 AM   #86
kkar
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I don't remember ever seeing this before. Is it temporary while the other place is closed? Great report!
Not sure if this has been answered already, but Mizners is normally the bar/lounge (really for adults). While the regular QS is being refurbished, they've temporarily set up the QS location in Mizners.
It's a real shame, because Mizners was/will be a wonderful place to have a pre or post dinner cocktail with the jazz orchestra right outside the entrance. There is a very small bar area just inside Citrico's, but it's just not the same. I was surprised that of all the spaces in the GF to set up a QS location, they chose to temporarily close the only real lounge in the entire resort.
kkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #87
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3DisneyBuggs View Post
Thanks for the great reviews and pics! I could almost smell the GCH as I looked at your pictures. We will be there in August, I hope the volcano pool won't be closed then. Imagine only a quiet pool in Disney summer heat! Gawsh Mickey, that's not nice!

You're welcome!

I hope the volcano pool isn't closed for your stay!! That would be bad. But I would think they would try real hard to get it done before summer. That would only make sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamfan14 View Post
Joining in the discussion, I'm enjoying reading your trip report!

I have to say, the Alice in Wonderland water play area looks fun, but its definitely more suited for a value, not the GF! To me, the GF symbolizes elegance, not a loud splash area.
Welcome! Glad you are enjoying the reviews!

I agree with you on the Alice on Wonderland water play area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkar View Post
Not sure if this has been answered already, but Mizners is normally the bar/lounge (really for adults). While the regular QS is being refurbished, they've temporarily set up the QS location in Mizners.
It's a real shame, because Mizners was/will be a wonderful place to have a pre or post dinner cocktail with the jazz orchestra right outside the entrance. There is a very small bar area just inside Citrico's, but it's just not the same. I was surprised that of all the spaces in the GF to set up a QS location, they chose to temporarily close the only real lounge in the entire resort.

I don't know if too many people are even using it. It was completely empty when we peeked in.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #88
Momof2Disneyboys
DIS Veteran

Pool pics!

The view from my lounge chair, looking at the lagoon ~

Looking at the pool ~

Old 12-27-2012, 07:17 PM   #89
ddluvsdisney
DIS Veteran

Love your pics of the Poly Shelly! Wish I was there right now!!!!

I'm sure your review is really helpful to someone who has never stayed there.
I also agree with a pp who said the Alice splash thing belongs in a value. It does kinda ruin the elegance of the GF.
February 2014*December 2013*October2013 F&W *September 2013*July 2013-Our condo.*April 2013- Our condo!!*April 2012- Sheraton Vistana*August 2011-Poly & HRH/CL Mom's 40th B-Day*November 2010- Bonnet Creek* August 2010-BC/CL & HRH/CL Mom's B-Day trip* April 2009- Orange Lake Resort* August 2008- GF/CL (Anniversary trip kid free)*April 2008- Orange Lake Resort* June 2007- Orange Lake Resort(2DS b-day trip)* April 2005- Orange Lake Resort* May 1995- CBR (honeymoon)* April 1988 off property* July 1978 off property
ddluvsdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:33 PM   #90
DisMomAmy
DIS Veteran

Hi Shelly! I'm finally finding some post-Christmas DIS time & found your resort report! Sounds like you had a great trip... at least as far as the resorts go. Sorry about the lack of sleep at the GF though. Can't wait to read the full TR!!

Sad to hear about your step-mom. I hope she gets out of the hospital soon & recovers from the cancer quickly!! Sending my thoughts your way!
DisMomAmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: