Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #1
canadiancruisers
Mouseketeer

Short Port Times Fantasy Western

Hello everyone - I leave very soon for my January 5th Fantasy Western. So excited!

I'm not doing any DCL excursions and have things pretty planned but of course as the date approaches I start to worry. One thing that is very concerning to me is the short port times on this cruise.

I think when we went on the western on the Magic in 2010 we had a pretty full day in both Grand Cayman and Key West as well as Cozumel. This time, the only full day is Cozumel (8 - 530) while Grand Cayman is only 11:30 to 4:45 and Costa Maya 1 - 5:30. Why so short? Anyone have any insight?

Can cruisers from previous Fantasy westerns comment on how short those days felt and if they felt they could do outside operator excursions?

I have Maya Chan booked for Costa Maya and he assures me he is used to it and will make sure we get there, enjoy and make it back with time to spare. I feel pretty confident with him. I just booked Botswain's Turtle farm directly through their website and now I'm a little concerned whether, considering tender time, I'm going to have enough time to enjoy it. How far from the port is it? Anyone else done this on their own with this schedule?

Thanks in advance!
canadiancruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:10 PM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We were just on the Fantasy last week. Didn't feel that the short port time as an issue in any of the ports.

In GC we did a Dolphin Encounter/Turtle Farm tour booked through the ship. Spent a couple of hours on that and still had plenty of time to shop downtown before returning to the ship.

We didn't do any tours in Costa Maya or Cozumel, just shopping. In Costa Maya there really isn't much to do unless you take the tour of the ruins. We opted for shopping (wife got some nice silver jewelry) and back to the ship to enjoy ourselves there.

In Cozumel we wandered around the shops near the ship (again more silver jewelry for the wife) and returned to the cabin for some rest. It was sprinkling in Cozumel so we weren't inclined to do much more exploring there.
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #3
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

Key West was always a stop after noon on the Magic's Western. The vendors are use to the port time since it has been consistent since the Fantasy started cruising. The only one that would concern me is GC since it is a tender port. Our last trip there we found a vendor giving tours and it took about 2 hours to get to everything. We weren't off the ship very long.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W DD w/ CM 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV W w/ CM 3/31/2012, E w/ SJ 3/23/2013

DCL 2016 Opening Day Pricing Thread Pt 1: January - April
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #3 August - December
DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August

Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
canadiancruisers
Mouseketeer

Thanks guys. I'm going to try the Turtle Farm and stick with our Maya Chan reservation and make the most of our time in port.
canadiancruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
schneider21
Earning My Ears

We were on the W. Caribbean the week after Thanksgiving - and were concerned about the short port times too. And because of that, we booked through Disney.

Which actually worked out in Costa Maya - because the road to the ruins was under construction. We (along with 10 other buses) were blocked for 30 minutes and missed the all aboard time by 25 minutes.

If we were with an independent operator, I would be needing medication for ulcers right now....
schneider21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:02 PM   #6
MISSREBECCA76
"Hello, My Name is Rebecca, and I have a Disney Problem!"

Hi! We are on the same cruise, and I was worried about the same thing! I booked our excursions via Disney to save myself the drama. I know I could have saved a few $$ but if we miss the all aboard time I know that $$ I saved will not really be worth it!

See ya in two weeks!

1999 SOG First ever WDW Trip (with my HOT college bf, who is now my HOT husband!)2001 SOG Honeymoon trip 2009 CRB First trip with the kiddos in tow, grandparents too! 2011 OKW Santa was good to us, so kids, grandparents and even a great grandparent made the trip! 2012 Fort Wilderness Cabins 2012 Disney Dream- our first of many DCL experiences!2012 Beach Club
MISSREBECCA76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 08:38 AM   #7
momof2minnies
DIS Veteran

Smile

Hi we are on the same cruise-did not book excursions,doing the beaches on our own.

My question is why so late getting off in Castaway Cay-945am? All aboard is 430 too. In 2009 on the Magic it was 9a-5p. Why so short?

Something to do with the larger capacity ship and ability to unload/reload everything from the island?

Linda
2000 OKW First trip with the kids,2001 OKW First time for my parents,2002 Marriott Grande Vista/OKW,2003 MGV,2004 OKW,2005 March Disney cruise/SSR, July-MGV, 2007 CSR, 2008 Clearwater-day trip, Marathon 2009 OKW,Nov. 2009 CSR then the Magic,Marathon 2010 OKW,June 2010 AKL,Marathon 2011 OKW, Anniversary 2011 POFQ,Disney Dream+BC 2012,Disney Fantasy 2013,Anniversary 2013 POR, Jan 2014 OKW

4/08 First half marathon- Oleksak lumber- Ma., 2:23:35
10/08 Second half marathon-Applefest-Hollis,NH.,2:17:05
01/09 First full marathon- Disney-5:39:24
01/10 5K and Half marathon- with my brother- Disney-2:43:42
01/11 5k and Half marathon-Disney- 2:11:46
4/12 5k Castaway Cay on the Dream with Arynn
momof2minnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:49 PM   #8
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2minnies View Post
My question is why so late getting off in Castaway Cay-945am? All aboard is 430 too.
Linda
We were just there on the Fantasy a week and a half ago, and I wondered the same thing (having remembered -- perhaps just imagined! -- a much earlier arrival on the Dream last year). We didn't actually dock the ship until about 9:00, so it was not a matter of sitting there for a couple of hours wondering why we couldn't get off. We love CC as much as any port and would have loved to have more time there, but alas...

We had early dining, so we would have been getting back on board by about 4:30 anyway (but I realize that's only an issue for half the ship). My guess is that a lot of the cast members who get off the ship and work on CC also have jobs to do on the ship in the morning and early evening, so they're trying to make the most efficient use of all of them by limiting the CC time to when most passengers would be off the ship anyway.

Interestingly, I felt more rushed at CC with a 7-hour day than I did in some of the others with the much shorter port times!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: