Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:03 AM   #1216
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
After I get down there again, that would be fine for the rest of the tickets. However, I have a trip planned for May and won't be down there before then to get a "new" ticket. I'll need to make FP+ reservations before then (like 40 days from now).
First, you may need to make FP+ reservations before then.

Second, you should still be able to enter the ticket info from the KTTW cards. If they forget that some people still have valid tickets on "expired" KTTW cards, there will be lots of phone calls to WDW Ticketing to get the correct codes.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #1217
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyMinnieMom View Post
I think that you are way over-estimating the importance of FPs for the vast majority of Disney-goers. I would posit that an unbelievably small number of people will actually make a go/no-go decision on a Disney vacation based on FPs. But of course, this is just a guess on my part.

I also have to say more generally that the notion that Disney "forgot" about AP holders or are somehow "just now" thinking about this sounds ludicrous to me. The number of people -- throughout the organization -- that would have to be asleep on the job in order for that to happen make this completely implausible to me. Doesn't mean they have a "final answer" on how it will work, but they have undoubtedly been considering a variety of scenarios. Which still makes sense at this stage of a roll-out -- not everything is set in stone. Again -- the system is flexible for a very good reason.
I don't think she is. I know in my case how this plays out will affect my decision whether to go or not. I am already thinking about canceling my May trip or at least not getting another AP and spending no (or maybe just less time) at WDW. Again, so far I hate everything I've read about this new system and see no pros for the AP holders. Getting to the parks at rope drop and utilizing fast passes has always worked very well and allowed us to do everything we've wanted to do in a timely manner. Yes, I was an uberuser, but everyone else had the same opportunity to be one also.

I've already bought air fare for my May trip and also have a deposit that I can't get back for a ressie over at Bonnet Creek, so I'll be going to Orlando in May. I may not be getting a new AP though and may spend my time doing other things in the Orlando area. I am also a Universal AP holder and they are looking better and better with all the new rides they are building. This may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I may not be making my 4-6 trips down to WDW every year from now on. I doubt if I'm the only one feeling this way either. WDW has been treating their loyal AP holders like second class citizens for awhile now.

Last edited by aubriee; 01-12-2013 at 09:20 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #1218
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't think she is. I know in my case how this plays out will affect my decision whether to go or not. I am already thinking about canceling my May trip or at least not getting another AP and spending no (or maybe just less time) at WDW. Again, so far I hate everything I've read about this new system and see no pros for the AP holders. Getting to the parks at rope drop and utilizing fast passes has always worked very well and allowed us to do everything we've wanted to do in a timely manner. Yes, I was an uberuser, but everyone else had the same opportunity to be one also.

I've already bought air fare for my May trip and also have a deposit that I can't get back for a ressie over at Bonnet Creek, so I'll be going to Orlando in May. I may not be getting a new AP though and may spend my time doing other things in the Orlando area. I am also a Universal AP holder and they are looking better and better with all the new rides they are building. This may have been the straw that broke the camel's back. I may not be making my 4-6 trips down to WDW every year from now on. I doubt if I'm the only one feeling this way either. WDW has been treating their loyal AP holders like second class citizens for awhile now.
Before you make any quick decisions based on rumor and speculation, wait and see how this all plays out in actuality.

I'm a PAP who goes to a park once a week. I completely understand how you feel. We did not renew our Tables in Wonderland card this year due to the price increase. We have already changed our eating habits and in just these few weeks of January have eaten more off property than on. We also have been making less impulse purchases since we lost our 20% merchandise discount.

In addition, there are a large number of us AP holders and many of us locals have Universal 2 park passes, Busch Gardens, Sea World and Legoland passes. I'm sure Disney has these competitor parks in mind too and would not want to lose us to them.
lovethattink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #1219
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post
Before you make any quick decisions based on rumor and speculation, wait and see how this all plays out in actuality.

I'm a PAP who goes to a park once a week. I completely understand how you feel. We did not renew our Tables in Wonderland card this year due to the price increase. We have already changed our eating habits and in just these few weeks of January have eaten more off property than on. We also have been making less impulse purchases since we lost our 20% merchandise discount.

In addition, there are a large number of us AP holders and many of us locals have Universal 2 park passes, Busch Gardens, Sea World and Legoland passes. I'm sure Disney has these competitor parks in mind too and would not want to lose us to them.
We're PAP too and ours are due up in March. I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I'm mostly bothered because the parks have felt so full this year. I'm contemplating dropping Disney all together and upgrading Universal for the after 4 express pass. I'll have to see if it slows down between now and March. We let our TIW drop this month as well. Just wasn't worth it anymore.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:51 AM   #1220
Cinderumbrella
Wench

OK, even though I swore I would stop trying to "what if," all this AP talk has me wondering.

Currently you can renew your AP within 30 days of its expiration to get the discounted renewal rate and not effect the anniversary date. Correct?

Say my AP is due to expire on June 1. My trip starts on June 5. To keep my June 1 anniversary date, and still get the discounted renewal rate, I need to renew on May 2 or later.

IF we are allowed to book FP+ at 60 days (which I am speculating will be the case based on on-line check in for resort guests being at 60 days), for my trip that would be on April 6. Would the website let me book FP+ for all of the days of my trip on April 6 with my current active AP, even though it would show in the system as expiring on June 1, 4 days before I arrive? Or would it require me to wait until May 2, the earliest day to renew my AP to keep my anniversary date and still get the renewal discount...

(FWIW, this scenario doesn't affect me personally since my AP expired in November. We were planning on upgrading our MYW tickets purchased from UT on our first day.)

This also leads me to wonder, as a PP did either on this thread or another, will WDW package payment dates stay at 45 days or will it move up to 60? Will My Disney Experience let you do on-line check in when you haven't paid the balance yet? And if it will (as it should, since room-only guests pay their balance on arrival) will it be programmed correctly to allow FP+ reservations at that time as well?
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~
Grand Floridian August 1997

Last edited by Cinderumbrella; 01-12-2013 at 11:01 AM.
Cinderumbrella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #1221
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink View Post

Oh, I'm not making any decision until I see how this plays out for AP holders. I'm just thinking about other options. As you said there is alot to do down there, besides WDW.

I too did not renew my TiW that expired in Oct and have no intention of doing so. Since some of my trips are solo every year and we can eat so much better and cheaper offsite, the price increase made it so TiW was just not worth it for us this year. I'll just be eating offsite more. I've always said I would never stay offsite, but this past Oct did so for the first time. We loved it so much that I'll be at Bonnet Creek in May and if I go back in Sept like I usually do will be there again. I can get alot more space for alot less money and will still physically be on the property. Disney finally priced me out. Why the heck should I pay Disney $149.00 a night (with a discount) for a moderate when I can get a much larger one bedroom villa with a fully equipped kitchen in a deluxe resort for $89.60/night and be closer to some of the parks than the WDW resorts? I love Disney, but am not happy with them at the moment. I just wished they'd give out all the details on this fastpass plus, so we could make informed decisions.

Last edited by aubriee; 01-12-2013 at 11:29 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:21 AM   #1222
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
OK, even though I swore I would stop trying to "what if," all this AP talk has me wondering.

Currently you can renew your AP within 30 days of its expiration to get the discounted renewal rate and not effect the anniversary date. Correct?

Say my AP is due to expire on June 1. My trip starts on June 5. To keep my June 1 anniversary date, and still get the discounted renewal rate, I need to renew on May 2 or later.
You can renew the AP in your question at any time between May 2 and July 1.

Even if there was a problem like this (which I suspect may not be the case)
a possible simple workaround could be...
to buy a regular MYW ticket at any point before your trip, and book "off of" that ticket.

Then, when you arrive at WDW, you could use the value of that ticket to help pay for your AP renewal.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:23 AM   #1223
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Even if there was a problem like this (which I suspect may not be the case)
a possible simple workaround could be...
to buy a regular MYW ticket at any point before your trip, and book "off of" that ticket.

Then, when you arrive at WDW, you could use the value of that ticket to help pay for your AP renewal.
Right, but how many days would I get to pre-book for, the same number of days as the ticket? My trip coming up is 15 days. WDW doesn't offer a 15 day ticket. So how many days would I be able book in advance for?
The Contemporary September 2010~The Contemporary June 2010~ Grand Floridian RPC December 2009~The Contemporary June 2009~ Grand Floridian December 2008~
Pop Century May 2008~Grand Floridian August 2007~Animal Kingdom Lodge December 2006~ Port Orleans Riverside October 2005~Beach Club February 2000~

Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #1224
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Right, but how many days would I get to pre-book for, the same number of days as the ticket? My trip coming up is 15 days. WDW doesn't offer a 15 day ticket. So how many days would I be able book in advance for?
Quote:
I swore I would stop trying to "what if,"
Words to live by.

(And, read my signature.)

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:32 AM   #1225
Cinderumbrella
Wench

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Words to live by.

(And, read my signature.)
I know

But since mousemerf seems to know ALL the answers maybe he can weigh in on this sort of unique dilemma...

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM   #1226
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
I know

But since mousemerf seems to know ALL the answers maybe he can weigh in on this sort of unique dilemma...
Given his most recent response on the original topic, I expect even the people in charge are still trying to figure it out.

Put simply, they need to change the way they handled APs, renewals and vouchers.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #1227
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Oh, I'm not making any decision until I see how this plays out for AP holders. I'm just thinking about other options. As you said there is alot to do down there, besides WDW.

I too did not renew my TiW that expired in Oct and have no intention of doing so. Since some of my trips are solo every year and we can eat so much better and cheaper offsite, the price increase made it so TiW was just not worth it for us this year. I'll just be eating offsite more. I've always said I would never stay offsite, but this past Oct did so for the first time. We loved it so much that I'll be at Bonnet Creek in May and if I go back in Sept like I usually do will be there again. I can get alot more space for alot less money and will still physically be on the property. Disney finally priced me out. Why the heck should I pay Disney $149.00 a night (with a discount) for a moderate when I can get a much larger one bedroom villa with a fully equipped kitchen in a deluxe resort for $89.60/night and be closer to some of the parks than the WDW resorts? I love Disney, but am not happy with them at the moment. I just wished they'd give out all the details on this fastpass plus, so we could make informed decisions.
I am trying to figure out how this all will work during the different seasons. How important is FP+ in September? I have never been in September. There has to be less demand for FP for the major rides, so those precious FP+ could theoretically be used on preferred seating or some other non ride event. So, FP+ in September is based more on be Personalized experience.

On the other hand during peak season, the limitation of the FP+ would be stifling.

When would be the optimum time of the year to get the most of this FP+?
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #1228
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
Up until now, having the voucher only got you access to the Passholder web site. That was glitchy whether it was a voucher or a live pass.

I don't expect much to change, except that you'll be able to pre-book FP+ using the voucher codes. I also expect that if people abuse the use of vouchers, say by using a voucher to book FP+s and then never actually activating the AP, penalties will be instituted - such as the AP not being able to book FP+s when finally activated, etc.

You turn them in for the "new" tickets. Eventually you will not be able to use them directly.
You cant abuse the voucher - if that voucher doesnt become a ticket it wont be valid for admission and the FP+ for that day cant be on the RFID card/band/whatever you intend to use that day. Don't redeem, don't get the FP+.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #1229
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I think they're working on a plan to sell them tickets, then not let them in the gates. But they're still working out some of the details. It didn't test well in focus groups..........
And selling tickets to DVC and resort guests and encouraging them to plan more RESORT days.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:30 PM   #1230
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:

IF we are allowed to book FP+ at 60 days (which I am speculating will be the case based on on-line check in for resort guests being at 60 days), for my trip that would be on April 6. Would the website let me book FP+ for all of the days of my trip on April 6 with my current active AP, even though it would show in the system as expiring on June 1, 4 days before I arrive? Or would it require me to wait until May 2, the earliest day to renew my AP to keep my anniversary date and still get the renewal discount...

(FWIW, this scenario doesn't affect me personally since my AP expired in November. We were planning on upgrading our MYW tickets purchased from UT on our first day.)

This also leads me to wonder, as a PP did either on this thread or another, will WDW package payment dates stay at 45 days or will it move up to 60? Will My Disney Experience let you do on-line check in when you haven't paid the balance yet? And if it will (as it should, since room-only guests pay their balance on arrival) will it be programmed correctly to allow FP+ reservations at that time as well?
AP Renewal is 60 days prior or 30 days after to maintain your date and discount.

April 1st is more than 60 days prior to June 5th.

You're fine, stop worrying.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: