Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #1096
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I hope I'm wrong and they have endless FPs for everyone the day they are at the park. On top of the 3 advance FPs. But I just don't think the math adds up.

The current system has a self-limiting factor of having to be IN the park, along with everyone in your party, early enough to get what you want. And you have to hoof it across the park to the kiosk to get the ticket.

Removing all those barriers sounds heavenly. Except that there is no longer a limiting factor. So I don't see how this all doesn't just becomes a feeding frenzy.

...................Logical.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:16 PM   #1097
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAustin View Post
The app can tell if you are in the park or not, so that's not necessarily a barrier.
Yes, but you no longer have to run across the park to GET the FP. So physically BEING there is really the only limiting factor left for most folks. Those with smart phones anyway.

I actually was not a fan of the idea of centrally located FP kiosks for the same reason.
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #1098
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post

...................Logical.

LOL, thanks!

That's very high praise in my book!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #1099
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Assuming FP goes away and there are not two systems of FP - It just seems that there would be enough FP+ leftover for ride attractions after the 3 reserved FPs are gobbled up by the guests who reserved them (again, not all guests make ADRs, not all like to plan itineraries, many wont reserve FP+ at all, etc... ) and with the "flexibility" of being able to change one's FP+ reservation, other spaces open in the FP+ queue....

So to me it makes sense that there would be additional/extra FP slots available daily - beyond what people will reserve with 3 slots.

Especially when the reserved FPs now include so many more things to use them toward such as parade seating, character greets and dining ressies.... one would think there would be more FP+ available day-of.

Can anyone tell I really really really want the FP+ system to allow for more passes to be obtained on the day you are actually in the park??? please?

Am I living in la la land or is it possible?
Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:44 PM   #1100
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
Assuming FP goes away and there are not two systems of FP - It just seems that there would be enough FP+ leftover for ride attractions after the 3 reserved FPs are gobbled up by the guests who reserved them...

Am I living in la la land or is it possible?
Sydnerella's Mama
If we separate the FP attractions by desirability, it is unlikely that there would be any "E-Ticket" FP's available
(for an appreciable length of time after they came on the market.)

TSM, Soarin', Space Mtn., Exp. Everest, Safari, Test Track, and maybe a few others, would be very hard to get.

And, frankly, I don't really care if I can schedule a FP for the "lesser" attractions.

Parades, Fireworks, Fantasmic!... those would likely figure somewhere in the "desirable" mix, too.
Character meets are a wild card, depending on guest preferences.

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #1101
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If we separate the FP attractions by desirability, it is unlikely that there would be (for an appreciable length of time) any of those FP available.

TSM, Soarin', Space Mtn., Exp. Everest, Safari, Test Track, and maybe a few others, would be very hard to get.

And, frankly, I don't really care if I can schedule a FP for the "lesser" attractions.

Parades, Fireworks, Fantasmic!... those would likely figure somewhere in the "desirable" mix, too.

Character meets are a wild card, depending on guest preferences.
Consider that under the current system there are between 15k, and 20k FPs avaliable for any one particular attraction. With the exception of Magic Kingdom each of the parks have 3 or 4 marque attractions.

Marque Attractions by park : (I've probably missed something)
MK : SpaM, BTMRR, PP, Pooh, Dumbo & maybe Jungle Cruise, & SplM
EP : Sorin', TT, MS
HS : RcR, TT, TSMM, ST
AK : EE, KS, Kali, and maybe Dino and PEW.

Except on the high season days figure that 25k - 50k people are in a particular park on one particular day. If the FP+ is limited so that you can only reserve one of the marque attractions then by simple math there would be about 50% of the remaining FPs (as under the current system) avaliable. However they may be wanting to shift to a system that utilized less FPs in favor of slightly shorter standby wait times.

If they do make it where you can get a new FP+ once in the park using your smart phone, I suspect that they would have a system where limit how often you can do that. (i.e. you wouldn't be allowed to get 5 new FP+'s the moment you walk in the park). Maybe you could get one an hour after opening then another one an hour later, etc.
Sept 2005 : (AS Movies) DS6 DS2 (MNSSHP)
Dec 2006 : (POFQ) 10th Anniversery (MVMCP)
Feb 2007 : (offsite) DS8 DS4 (DPPP)
Feb 2009 : (Bonnet Creek) DS10 DS6 DD2 (+ friends)
Nov 2010 : (Windsor Hills) DS11 DS8 DD4 DD3
April 2012 : (Windsor Hills / AS Movies) DS13 DS9 DD5 DD4 (+family)
October 2014 : (Caribbean Beach) DS16 DS12 DD8 DD6
mbrittb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #1102
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Yeah, 4 is a gimme under the current system. But I avoid visitng WDW at peak times like the plague.

I too am skeptical that there will be same day FP's available. I think they're staying squishy on that detail for a reason. Sounds like maybe they will during slow times, which is exactly when FPs aren't even necessary.

I hope I'm wrong and they have endless FPs for everyone the day they are at the park. On top of the 3 advance FPs. But I just don't think the math adds up.

The current system has a self-limiting factor of having to be IN the park, along with everyone in your party, early enough to get what you want. And you have to hoof it across the park to the kiosk to get the ticket.

Removing all those barriers sounds heavenly. Except that there is no longer a limiting factor. So I don't see how this all doesn't just becomes a feeding frenzy.
The only one of those barriers that appear to be being removed is the 'hoof across the park one' if you have a smartphone. Given that these same-day rules would remain in place and that they have stated that FP+ would be available for same-day visitors, I'm not seeing any reason to believe that same-day FPs wouldn't be available for all guests.

I guess that I'm having a hard time believing that they would replace FPs with something with fewer features. I'm also having trouble believing that the mere fact that they didn't talk about current features means that all of those features will go away.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:07 PM   #1103
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I guess that I'm having a hard time believing that they would replace FPs with something with fewer features. I'm also having trouble believing that the mere fact that they didn't talk about current features means that all of those features will go away.
I would say that I was where you are now last June. I was in the park for 2 weeks, and FP+ rumors were swirling. I was getting pretty excited about the possibility of logging into my computer the night before going to a park and booking a couple FP times in advance (TSMM for 6:00 pm and a ToT at 8:00). I would like to have one Fantasmic! FP for one day of the trip. This way I could go over to MK in the morning, grab FP all day enjoy the park. Head to a 3:00 lunch at the Grand Floridian Cafe and then go to DHS for the evening with a few FP in hand. This is how this should work. Robo warned me this would never happen, that it couldn't happen. He wasn't wrong.

I will stick with my contention about Disney not saying anything is a bad sign. Disney has clearly introduced this as a marketing tool to rearrange crowds and change the dynamics of the park - maximize infrastructure. That means getting people away from the e-ticket rides and into meet and greets, parades, shows, and underutilized rides. They have said that. Giving people advanced FP and unlimited daily FP will only make the headliner rides MUCH more crowded. Which leads to...

UNHAPPY customers demanding very expensive new rides to absorb more people so that the wait times will drop. And every time they add a new ride it causes more pressure on the e-rides and draws more and more people away from the cheaper things to maintain like the meet and greets, parades, and current infrastructure. Disney is NOT advertising this as the next best way to enjoy our thrill rides! And if that was their intent, it is what they would be doing.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #1104
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio
The only one of those barriers that appear to be being removed is the 'hoof across the park one' if you have a smartphone. Given that these same-day rules would remain in place and that they have stated that FP+ would be available for same-day visitors, I'm not seeing any reason to believe that same-day FPs wouldn't be available for all guests.

I've yet to see anything that would suggest that same-day FPs will be available at all.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:30 PM   #1105
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrittb00 View Post
I've yet to see anything that would suggest that same-day FPs will be available at all.
And the numbers you have been crunching have convinced me that they both can't exist.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:41 PM   #1106
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Nothing is certain, but the video seems to suggest it is possible.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:44 PM   #1107
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I must have missed something. What video? Was it saying that you could change your existing FP+ selections or make brand new one?
Old 01-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #1108
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
I must have missed something. What video? Was it saying that you could change your existing FP+ selections or make brand new one?
See if this link works:

MyMagic+ interview

In it they have EVP Nick Frankin, the guy in charge of NextGen, talking about FastPass+. He says they'll let guests choose up to 3 FP+s, but that they have the "expectation" that they'll offer the guest "more as they go", along with other "surprises". It is still vague, but it sure seems like they are planning to allow more based on availability, and availability is best known day-of...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-10-2013, 08:52 PM   #1109
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
You are really optimistic about that snippet. I can't interpret those comments that way.

Quote:
VIDEO
"guest select up to three, that they want to set for each day, then we have an expectation that we may have the ability to bring some more surprise and delight and bring you some additional ones as you go." That sounds like "bonus" FP+ for those under utilized sections of the park.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #1110
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrook View Post
You are really optimistic about that snippet. I can't interpret those comments that way.

VIDEO
I don't know...he's talking about offering more than three. That seems pretty certain. I think getting more day-of is more likely than randomly awarding some ahead of time.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: