Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #1081
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderumbrella View Post
I am still trying very hard NOT to get worked about all my "what ifs" until we get more details on the actual implementation. (But it ain't easy! )
Me too.

I already know that the FP return time enforcement really changed the way we toured the parks last month. We used to pick up FPs through the morning and then come back to that park at night and use them. The FPs gave us a reason to return to a packed park (we go Christmas/NYE every year) so we could catch dinner, ride a few attractions, see the fireworks or parade, etc. On this last trip that we would go back to our resort for our afternoon swim/break and we only went into a park at night 3 nights out of 9. Once for IlluniNations, once to see the Osbourne Lights & once to see Wishes. And on the MK night we had a FP gathered at noon for 8:00 pm for Little Mermaid and a FP from BTMR that was good after the 1 hour timeslot because the ride went down. Without those two FP I doubt if we would have gone to the MK since we had already seen Wishes from the Contemporary. I was honestly surprised that we made it back into the parks so infrequently as we are usually more "commando". Disney lost out on all the meals that we would have eaten in the parks instead of offsite and all the snacks we usually purchase while waiting for the parade & fireworks.

I am really afraid that FP+ will make my touring even a bigger PITB over Christmas/NYE but like you I am trying not to get worked up over it until I understand how it's going to work. I know I don't like the first phase and I doubt I will like the rest of it either. We have DVC PAP certificates that we are planning to activate in March and I am having a hard time getting excited about going .
Old 01-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #1082
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Then it's sort of confusing to tell the other poster they were incorrect.

Thanks for the clarification.
He said "current system" in the post you quoted, which isn't the FP+ system.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #1083
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi View Post
... If FPs can only be used in one park each day, then what's the good of the hoppers? We have used them for dinner in different parks but we won't do that anymore.
They didn't say that FPs can only be used in one park per day. They said that they will be only scheduled in advance for one park per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Yup. Another fix.

Forget percentages.
That's right. There is absolutely no reason for us to wring our hands over what percentages might be offered since 1) none of us know the answer to that question and 2) the company can adjust these percentages at will and on-the-fly as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
My point is that if they intend FP+ to be all things to all people, there simply are not enough FP positions available daily for the E-tickets to make each category of guest "happy."
Nothing makes all people happy. Nothing will ever make all people happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrittb00 View Post
Your making an assumption that under the current system we can't get FPs for all the must-do rides. Your assumption is incorrect.
No. I'm merely making the assumption that you might not be able to get FPs for all four rides and asking you what you would do if this happened. You'd do the same thing in the event that you couldn't get a same-day FP+ for that fourth ride.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #1084
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
He said "current system" in the post you quoted, which isn't the FP+ system.
Well duh me. I need to quit skimming between work and kids dental appts.

Thx!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:19 PM   #1085
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

Apparently it's just not seen as "fair" to the folks who "can't" get up that early.

You know, they finally broke up "the running of the bulls" with an early soft opening every day.

Am I the only one thinking this could make mornings worse at DHS again? Standby is really only a good option if you get there first thing. If you want to ride more than once, rope drop is going to be the only way to "easily" accomplish this now (it seems).
It could quite possibly make it worse. I don't know if they've released what times FP+ slots will begin (eg. If a park opens at 9am, FP+ slots will start at say, 9:05/9:10am). I *think* mousermerf said it could well be possible, but I could be wrong there so my apologies in advance.
If FP+ slots start at 9.05am on a 9am park opening at say MK and those FP+ slots are all taken for those 9:05am - 10:05am slots and so on, it could very well cripple standby lines, especially for an attraction like ETWB.
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:20 PM   #1086
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

But obviously, it's still all speculation and still in testing phase and could change. Maybe I need to stop hanging around with Grumpy so much
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1087
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

Based on what we know now (and yes, things can change) I expect the FP+ time to start earlier than the current FP return times for first thing in the day. And yes, that will increase standby line as opposed to drain non-existing current FP inventory in the early morning.

The DHS running of the bulls is muted by there being no rope drop hold area. The turnstiles now...and in the future whatever mechanism they use to let you through one at a time as your ticket media/wristband signals you are a-ok to go...would still stop/slow the TSMM race. I confess that I sort of miss the excitement of the "run"...stupid, dangerous, and crazy as it was. But I digress...

I am curious -- for those who are not concerned about FP+ or who feel it will not be a negative (and I fully applaud your glass half full view), did you go many times before FP existed...including in the summer? I am annoyed that I will have less flexibility than I had with (vintage) FP, but I can adjust -- unless it returns to the brutal, endless lines of yesteryear...that has the potential to break my spirit.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:23 PM   #1088
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Then it's sort of confusing to tell the other poster they were incorrect.

Thanks for the clarification.
The other poster had asked . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Then you either try for same-day FPs for the fourth ride or you wait in the standby line and play with the interactive queue.

What do you do now if you can only get FPs for three out of four must-do rides?
I had made the assumption (possibly incorrectly) he was refering to under the current system. That question is based on the assumption that we don't get FPs for all the must-do rides, which is an incorrect assumption.

Quote:
Apparently it's just not seen as "fair" to the folks who "can't" get up that early.

You know, they finally broke up "the running of the bulls" with an early soft opening every day.

. . .
I would actually change the "can't" to "not willing to", but perhaps that is why you put it in quotes. I wonder what they will complain about next? The fact that those that get there at RD STILL get to do more stuff?
Sept 2005 : (AS Movies) DS6 DS2 (MNSSHP)
Dec 2006 : (POFQ) 10th Anniversery (MVMCP)
Feb 2007 : (offsite) DS8 DS4 (DPPP)
Feb 2009 : (Bonnet Creek) DS10 DS6 DD2 (+ friends)
Nov 2010 : (Windsor Hills) DS11 DS8 DD4 DD3
April 2012 : (Windsor Hills / AS Movies) DS13 DS9 DD5 DD4 (+family)
October 2014 : (Caribbean Beach) DS16 DS12 DD8 DD6
mbrittb00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:31 PM   #1089
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I would actually change the "can't" to "not willing to", but perhaps that is why you put it in quotes. I wonder what they will complain about next? The fact that those that get there at RD STILL get to do more stuff?
Yes, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #1090
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:

No. I'm merely making the assumption that you might not be able to get FPs for all four rides and asking you what you would do if this happened. You'd do the same thing in the event that you couldn't get a same-day FP+ for that fourth ride.
Ok I'll admit its a possibility but in our 15+ years of going to WDW it hasn't ever happened. Under the current system it is super easy to get 4, 5, 6 or more FPs (even all for the high profile attractions) in a single day. Now I'll admit we normally go during value season, but two trips ago we went at Thanksgiving week and didn't have a problem then either.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:37 PM   #1091
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Yes, my tongue was firmly planted in my cheek.
That is what I thought.

I guess Disney is trying to create a system that creates Equality of Outcome rather than Equality of Opportunity. As things are right now everyone has the exact same opportunity. However some aren't willing to do what is necessary (i.e. get up early and make it to RP) in order to get the same benefit as someone else. In walks in a system that tries to create Equality of Outcome. After all is said in done however (unless they expand the system to micromanage your entire trip down to the minute), it still won't work as those that get there at RD will still get more stuff done.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #1092
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I had made the assumption (possibly incorrectly) he was refering to under the current system. That question is based on the assumption that we don't get FPs for all the must-do rides, which is an incorrect assumption.
If you are always able to obtain FPs for all four rides currently, why make the assumption that you will be unable to do so in the future given that you will schedule three of the four in advance?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:51 PM   #1093
mbrittb00
Mouseketeer

Quote:
If you are always able to obtain FPs for all four rides currently, why make the assumption that you will be unable to do so in the future given that you will schedule three of the four in advance?
Because I see no evidence that you will be able to get more FPs once you reach the parks. That assumption could also turn out to be false (I hope very much that it is false).
Old 01-10-2013, 05:01 PM   #1094
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Because I see no evidence that you will be able to get more FPs once you reach the parks. That assumption could also turn out to be false (I hope very much that it is false).
Yeah, 4 is a gimme under the current system. But I avoid visitng WDW at peak times like the plague.

I too am skeptical that there will be same day FP's available. I think they're staying squishy on that detail for a reason. Sounds like maybe they will during slow times, which is exactly when FPs aren't even necessary.

I hope I'm wrong and they have endless FPs for everyone the day they are at the park. On top of the 3 advance FPs. But I just don't think the math adds up.

The current system has a self-limiting factor of having to be IN the park, along with everyone in your party, early enough to get what you want. And you have to hoof it across the park to the kiosk to get the ticket.

Removing all those barriers sounds heavenly. Except that there is no longer a limiting factor. So I don't see how this all doesn't just becomes a feeding frenzy.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #1095
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Except that there is no longer a limiting factor. So I don't see how this all doesn't just becomes a feeding frenzy.
The app can tell if you are in the park or not, so that's not necessarily a barrier.
WillAustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: