Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 01:25 PM   #1021
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

I have been to Disney World enough times to know: I will have some trouble keeping track of FP return times if it is electronic only. Didn't say it would ruin my trip, it's just true. We have heard that during testing Disney sent reminders (which some reported came late, after the window).

I'm also sure that not being able to use FP+ at more than one park a day -- if that is the eventuality, will be a negative for the way I like to do the parks.

If you have not heard so many people bashing technology you have not had the pleasure of reading, for example, any AARP newsletter.

And in case it is unclear: The DIS boards contains only first world problems. Our problems, concerns, ideas and thoughts about Disney, and in this thread Disney park strategy (at least for the few minutes a day we are privileged to participate, and I am happy to have the privilege) are not measured by how important they are in relation to world peace, human suffering or civil strife. I'm pretty sure most everyone on the boards is aware of this.
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #1022
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

If you have not heard so many people bashing technology you have not had the pleasure of reading, for example, any AARP newsletter.

Exactly... My children's grandparents will be at a loss with this system... guess I gotta join them

Yep - it is a luxury to be able to complain about such things!

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 01:44 PM   #1023
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

If you have trouble remembering times, how do you handle your Fastpasses right now? You check the Fastpasses, right? If you currnetly have a smartphone and have it in the parks, I can't imagine it will be that significantly more cumbersome to check your smartphone instead of digging out the Fastpass.

If you don't currently have a smartphone, most dumbphones have notepad features now too, so you have that option. It's often just easier to write it down though.

And if this is really a problem and people complain about it enough, it is easy enough to fix - have the kiosks spit out a slip with your FP+ times...and what the heck, throw in ADRs as well. That is, if Disney hasn't already thought of that...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:01 PM   #1024
HelenParr
DIS Veteran

LOL. I will find a way to write it down, but I appreciate the ideas. Right now, I pull the FP out of my pocket to check. I am sure I am not alone -- and I overhear many guest who are fully confused about their FP situation of window. Virtual FP assignment will not improve that.

I have a smart phone, with lots of bells and whistles, that I must have with me at all times for work, which drains battery at DW like water through a sieve.

All of the perceived issues "can" be fixed. My personal feeling (*) is that Disney will be slow to fix them, based on my perception that their current evaluation of how FP+ will be better is lacking. I realize others disagree or have other opinions, and that's part of why I like the DIS. If we all agreed all the time, this place would be way less interesting.

*I'm not seeking validation for my feelings, I'm self-soothing.

Last edited by HelenParr; 01-09-2013 at 02:03 PM. Reason: typos 'cause I am not a good typist
HelenParr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:06 PM   #1025
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
Are there posters here that do that?
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #1026
trainingupmy4princes
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~This is such a great post! Anyway, I totally agree that DDP is no longer a value. I have done the math, but I love the convenience of having all meals paid in advanced, it feels like an all inclusive vacation, and there is no sticker shock when you check out.

~Unfortunately, the gratuity was removed due to customer demand. Several, posters and guests complained to Disney about "undeserving" servers getting tips. I didn't get it, either. But, I was really sad when Disney stop paying the gratuity. It was a huge loss for the guests that tip and tip well.

~Okay, with FP+, try to look at it this way. First and foremost, I mostly perceive this as a necessary technological upgrade. I feel confident in saying that Disney categorizes Fastpass as an essential working component of the parks overall operating infrastructure. The technology has changed drastically over the past 14 years.

~Let's look at the technology -- in 1999 Intel releases 366 and 400 MHz Celeron processors, priced at US$123 and US$158 each. This was the state of the art technology. The first Apple ibook was released later that year utilizing the same specs.

~Fast forward to today -- our cell phones are rocking 32GB and can do just as much as a computer, in some aspects more! This is where we are today. I'm positive that this technological breakthrough has impacted your life at home and at work. Has your office gone wireless and paperless, yet? The transition is not easy, it's a real pain. But, now I love it! So, why does Disney have to function with dated obsolete technology, when we have adapted to the rest of the world around us?

~Remember, it wasn't too long ago when we all had to update our televisions! The government issued vouchers for people to update the televisions, that was drastic, but we have all adapted since then.

~What I value the most about FP+, is my time. It sux to have to run all the way over from Tomorrowland to Frontierland just to pull a FP. Okay, I have my FP for Space Mountain, but my return window is open for Splash Mountain is about to expire, so I have to race back over to Frontierland, it's not exactly across the street.

~Now, I can spend time touring a land in it's entirety, without running from here to there just for FP's. FP+ will afford me the freedom to tour the way I've dreamed of. I would rather wait a few more minutes in line than criss cross the parks just to collect FP's. Right now, regular fastpass controls my vacation. My park touring style is compromised by the return window on my fastpass and the time I can pull another fastpass, etc.

~Honestly, it's okay to be skeptical, but I think you are going to be delightfully surprised with the flexibility and freedom that FP+ can deliver.
Actually they didn't get rid of gratuity to help out the guests who complained. They now have a forced gratuity we (not Disney) pay on top of what we pay for the plan. Have you ever heard how to boil a frog? You do it slowly so they don't realize in time to jump out of the pot. The reality is the brought out the dining plan and got everyone excited about it then they slowly take things away while upping the price. They take away gratuity and then appetizers and then there's seasonal pricing etc.

Now they're doing the same with the FP. They start lowering how many FP you can get and I see in the future a possibility of charging for it or to add more to it. The money on this would have better been spent on refurbs & cosmetic fix ups which are desperately needed around all 4 parks which would improved guest satisfaction. Will people continue to go? Probably, but there is always a point at which the majority of your consumers decide what you charge vs what you deliver isn't worth it. WDW may not be there yet but it seems they are trying to see how far they can get.

DL: 2005 Aug. DS's 1st (offsite), 2005 (offsite), 2006 July (offsite)
WDW: 2002 May(offsite), 2006 Oct. Free Dining and MNSSHP(POR),2007 our anniversaryand MVMCP(BC&WL), 2008 Sept. My birthday trip with sisters (ASSP), 2009 Sept. Free Dining with oldest DS Birthday and MNSSHP(CBR Pirate room),2013 Oct. DD's 3rd Birthday Princess Trip with BBB and MNSSHP (CBR)
trainingupmy4princes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #1027
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by trainingupmy4princes View Post
The money on this would have better been spent on refurbs & cosmetic fix ups which are desperately needed around all 4 parks which would improved guest satisfaction.

A billion bucks or so.

I bet I could have built a whole new gate for a billion bucks...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1028
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryz View Post

A billion bucks or so.

I think that's around the amount it took to build AK...but that was 15 years ago.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Last edited by doconeill; 01-09-2013 at 07:35 PM. Reason: off-by-one error...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 PM   #1029
larryz

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I think that's around the amount it took to build AK...but that was 15 years ago.
Yeah, but they designed it to keep animals alive in it.

The way I design rides, there won't be anybody alive in the park by noon...
Old 01-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #1030
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Yeah, but they designed it to keep animals alive in it.

The way I design rides, there won't be anybody alive in the park by noon...
Let me guess, you've played Rollercoaster Tycoon, and could never keep the parks clean...

Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #1031
larryz

Quote:
Let me guess, you've played Rollercoaster Tycoon, and could never keep the parks clean...
RCT III with the "Jurassic Park" add-on pack.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #1032
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:

A billion bucks or so.

Quote:
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:04 PM   #1033
fla4fun
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I'm not seeing this issue as a deal breaker. People without smartphones can print the times at home or get a copy from their hotel or guest services. Alternatively, they can simply write them down or input them into thier 'dumb' phone's calendar. Or they can use their ipod touch, if they have one.
I have to agree here. I bought an ipod touch specifically because of what Disney is doing. I believe, based on the new website and how it works, that they will at some point have the ADR's and FP+ as an integrated part of the My Disney Experience so that you can just touch your screen and your Disney calendar for the day will pop up with your ADR's and FP+ in a "to do" list. Just a guess. I don't have a smartphone, and I don't want a smartphone. My cell phone gets locked in the room safe when I arrive and doesn't come out until I'm going home. But there are a lot of wifi devices out there and they aren't all expensive. I think there is a lot of potential for this to be a good thing if Disney remembers to dot the "I" and cross the "T".
fla4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:57 PM   #1034
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Email from Disney

Okay, here is a long post with the response from Disney and below it the email I sent last night. Quick response, but pat answers. If you read between the lines, I think they are saying, "if you want to go with the flow" and wait stand-by you can - or you can schedule way in advance and have an magical vacation!

Tammie ,

Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World® Resort.

Thank you for taking a moment to share your thoughts with us. When we
receive comments such as yours, they are shared with various members of
our organization. We appreciate your observations and will share them
at the appropriate levels.

Guests opt in to use the service. Guests who choose not to use MyMagic+
can still enjoy a park experience, but will not have access to some of
the major benefits of the program (e.g., securing favorite attractions
or experiences in advance through Disney FastPass+ service).

MyMagic+ enables Guests to have the vacation experience they want from
start to finish. Guests who enjoy planning their vacations in great
detail will be able to do this like never before, and those who want
spontaneity or to “go with the flow” can still do so.

If you have questions or need further assistance, feel free to contact
us.

Sincerely,

Cheryl Bell
WDW Online Communications

PLEASE NOTE: All information is subject to change without notice and
should be confirmed just prior to your visit.

Original Message Follows:
------------------------
I know so much of the new FP+ system is in the testing/rumor phase. I
personally own DVC and only come every few years, although our income
level
is changing and we will soon be visiting more often and be Annual Pass
holders. We are bringing our kids and grandkids this coming July - 10
of
us. With small children, you cannot possibly make "reservations" for
rides
months in advance and know how this will work out for your family.
Disney
is for kids - it shouldn't penalize people for bringing children to the
parks.

If you want to have the FP+ system for those who want to relax in the
mornings and show up for their reserved times, I think it's great to
accommodate them. PLEASE keep the FP system as it is for those of us
who
like to get up and "hit it" in the morning and know how to utilize the
system to get on the rides we look forward to most, then enjoy the
"lesser
rides" at a leisurely pace while eating and shopping. We will not pay
as much as we do to come and stand in 60 minute lines, no matter how fun
and interactive the lines are, or how many shiny new bracelets you give
us

Here is a link to how this is being perceived by others -

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3034935

I realize the DISboards may seem like a bother to the executives, maybe
even a joke. I would ask you to read through all of the threads
regarding this. The people on those boards and others like it may
spread alot of rumors, but they also encourage each other to visit more
and to sail more and to purchase DVC. I think we spend alot of our free
time planning our next Disney vacation, and it is almost frowned upon to
vacation anywhere else. I guess I'm saying it is a voice to listen to.

I have read alot of comments from people who will not renew their annual
passes until they see the results of this, as well as people from the UK
who stay offsite because they come in large groups and can't afford
Disney accomodations for such large groups. You are alienating a very
large group of people just to fill your hotels. Maybe offering
competitive rates at the hotels would be a way to fill them up - that's
what most hotel owners do.

Thank you for your time.
MAGICFOR2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:02 PM   #1035
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
Okay, here is a long post with the response from Disney and below it the email I sent last night. Quick response, but pat answers. If you read between the lines, I think they are saying, "if you want to go with the flow" and wait stand-by you can - or you can schedule way in advance and have an magical vacation.
That is what it sounds like to me too, but thanks for sharing your letter. I will link it to my ongoing list.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities

Last edited by bcrook; 01-09-2013 at 11:09 PM.
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: