Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #1006
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
I'm the same way. I hardly ever notice an incoming call or text in the parks. And I have no intention of turning up my ringer volume or keeping the phone in my hands. Can you imagine how fun it will be to hear everyone's ringers going off at all the Disney shows?
I have the same issue - my DH gets annoyed when I dont answer and we are trying to meet up somewhere ... ooops! But honestly it is either turned low or I cannot hear/feel it over the attractions and noise. And really, this all goes back to not wanting to be immersed in or interrupted by my stupid cell phone while trying to enjoy the world.

why do so many people think technological progress is ALWAYS a good thing.....

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:17 AM   #1007
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
Wow - this is utterly amazing to me! Everyone here at the DIS is bringing up so many interesting issues and questions from:

dark ride blinking magic bands to families with multiple ticket types trying to ride together to the amount one spends vs the resort class....

This really makes me half-wonder (hope???) if Disney just posts enough info about the new program with many kinks knowingly still in it and then monitors the heck out these boards with problem-solver imagineers to learn the potential bugs in their new "great" ideas.

One can only hope as there appear to be many potential problems.

DISboard peeps rock!

Sydnerella's Mama
I've maintained that Disney should float ideas past us as rumors, to ferret out all the potential problems and fix them before they go into the design phase...
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #1008
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

I'm the same way. I hardly ever notice an incoming call or text in the parks. And I have no intention of turning up my ringer volume or keeping the phone in my hands. Can you imagine how fun it will be to hear everyone's ringers going off at all the Disney shows?
I agree. I don't want to constantly monitor my phone.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:28 AM   #1009
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I've maintained that Disney should float ideas past us as rumors, to ferret out all the potential problems and fix them before they go into the design phase...
One of the problems with that is that it tips their hand to "the competition."

Plus, one would think that "the competition" would have ringers on the boards
to blindly cheer on any potential doofus blunder announced by Disney...
just to add extra flies in the ointment.

And, do I have a list of possible ringers I could post, let me tell you.
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:39 AM   #1010
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
Hmmmmmmm.........
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #1011
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC4US View Post
This doesn't seem like a great idea. Can you imagine sitting in a dark show - like Philharmagic, or Hall of Presidents and having all these wristbands flash?
While I doubt that the wristbands will flash, at all, it would be easy for the system to inhibit the flashing during a show or ride.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #1012
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post
Wow - this is utterly amazing to me! Everyone here at the DIS is bringing up so many interesting issues and questions from:

dark ride blinking magic bands to families with multiple ticket types trying to ride together to the amount one spends vs the resort class....

This really makes me half-wonder (hope???) if Disney just posts enough info about the new program with many kinks knowingly still in it and then monitors the heck out these boards with problem-solver imagineers to learn the potential bugs in their new "great" ideas.

One can only hope as there appear to be many potential problems.

DISboard peeps rock!

Sydnerella's Mama
I have no doubt that they do have people monitoring this and similar forums. That being said, I also imagine that they have already worked through many of the 'deal breaking' issues that we have discussed. Others, they may have considered, but set aside.

The entire text message thing might be one of these. Imagine that they give us the opportunity to have FP+ reminders texted to us. They are unlikely to be concerned that it is my personal practice to ignore text messages. Similarly, it would be my responsibility to silence my phone in theaters, not Disney's.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:49 AM   #1013
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Similarly, it would be my responsibility to silence my phone in theaters, not Disney's.
...... sort of like it's the guest's responsibility to turn their flash off in dark rides?
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #1014
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
One of the problems with that is that it tips their hand to "the competition."

Plus, one would think that "the competition" would have ringers on the boards
to blindly cheer on any potential doofus blunder announced by Disney...
just to add extra flies in the ointment.

Are there posters here that do that?
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #1015
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I have no doubt that they do have people monitoring this and similar forums. That being said, I also imagine that they have already worked through many of the 'deal breaking' issues that we have discussed. Others, they may have considered, but set aside.

The entire text message thing might be one of these. Imagine that they give us the opportunity to have FP+ reminders texted to us. They are unlikely to be concerned that it is my personal practice to ignore text messages. Similarly, it would be my responsibility to silence my phone in theaters, not Disney's.
So many First World Problems...lol.

Never heard so many people bashing technology.

Having something on your smartphone is no different between having to check printed FPs that you store somewhere.You dont have to leave your ringer on and can even put it on vibrate. Sounds like you can opt out of Disney even sending you a text message or reminder.

I dont think it is too much for someone to remember general times of THREE FP+ reservations since guests seem to somehow manage to remember

1. Show times
2. Parade times
3. Fireworks/illuminations
4. Park opening times
5. ADRs
6. Any outside Disney shows
7. Park closing times
8. Meet & Greet times

And it sounds like there will be kiosks across the parks for people to check their FP+ times.

Is there a DISBoard contest to see who can come up with the most far fetched scenarios as to why FP+ is such a bad idea and why they predict it will be a failure?
UNCFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 PM   #1016
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
...... sort of like it's the guest's responsibility to turn their flash off in dark rides?
Yup, just like its the guest responsibility to keep track of any reservations they have made and to keep track of time to make any hard time events they would care to see.
UNCFanatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM   #1017
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

ahhh.... we missed this ray of sunshine

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #1018
Robo
Attention: There's a '71 Castle in the Hub with its lights on!

Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #1019
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik

I dont think it is too much for someone to remember general times of THREE FP+ reservations since guests seem to somehow manage to remember

1. Show times
2. Parade times
3. Fireworks/illuminations
4. Park opening times
5. ADRs
6. Any outside Disney shows
7. Park closing times
8. Meet & Greet times

Is there a DISBoard contest to see who can come up with the most far fetched scenarios as to why FP+ is such a bad idea and why they predict it will be a failure?
I do agree with you about people remembering general times, however there's always going to be a % of guests who don't or "forget", and they will take out their wrath on an innocent cm most likely.
Disney now sells a t-shirt with a picture of Goofy on it and underneath it says "What time is the 3'o clock parade?" Clearly, it's not just 1 or 2 people.

I do appreciate that some may see some scenarios as far fetched scenarios for FP+, but I think they are legitimate concerns. I hope FP+ works out in the end, I'm not looking forward to it one bit from what I've read so far, again, it could all change as its still in testing. I'd be happy to look back one day and think "boy was I wrong to think very negatively about FP+".
I am concerned if a guest(s) uses up one of their top tier slots for say, nighttime parade, and it ends up getting cancelled due to weather, making the FP+ reservation to be potentially a waste if you can't get it exchanged due to either no slots left for the night etc.
That's not Disneys fault the weather was bad, not at all. But try telling that to the family that gets very angry at the announcement and begins a hunt for the nearest cm to give them an ear bashing.
Who knows, when it comes out officially, it could be the best thing Disney has ever done
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #1020
gwmort
DIS Veteran

They can just print what time you are riding Space Mountain on your customized park map that they will mail you weeks before your trip.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: