Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #991
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
For people without smart phones, I wonder what their plan is to help people actually remember what time their FPs are. My mind is going a million directions when I'm at Disney and have to consult those printed tickets many times over the course of the day to make sure I don't get it wrong. Maybe the kiosks in the parks would have printers?

And can you imagine standing behind someone at a FP kiosk who actually has to decide what time they want? Now that I think about it though, I can't imagine that would be an option. Too many early day slots would just go unused.
I guess you were thinking the same thing I was - should have read your post first.

I had the same thought about waiting for someone to decide, too. Families standing there arguing about whether to take the time or not, trying to remember what time their ADRs are, etc. Think the "brain surgery" ordering style at CS kiosks x 10!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #992
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
For people without smart phones, I wonder what their plan is to help people actually remember what time their FPs are. My mind is going a million directions when I'm at Disney and have to consult those printed tickets many times over the course of the day to make sure I don't get it wrong. Maybe the kiosks in the parks would have printers?

And can you imagine standing behind someone at a FP kiosk who actually has to decide what time they want? Now that I think about it though, I can't imagine that would be an option. Too many early day slots would just go unused.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGICFOR2 View Post
I just had a thought while reading this - once you get your return time by bracelet and not printed FP, I will have a hard time remembering when to return!
I haven't seen any official word on this yet, but I did see someone mention it in one of these threads. Apparently Disney may be able to make them flash, like a restaurant "pager".

As I've said before, the October FCC filing by Disney says the MagicBands have a Wi-Fi transceiver embedded in them. This may be the purpose for it. However, it's of limited life (non-replaceable battery), so I don't know how it would work for AP holders over a longer term.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM   #993
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I guess you were thinking the same thing I was - should have read your post first.

I had the same thought about waiting for someone to decide, too. Families standing there arguing about whether to take the time or not, trying to remember what time their ADRs are, etc. Think the "brain surgery" ordering style at CS kiosks x 10!
It's definitely going to be interesting to see how this rolls out. And yes, I was definitely picturing standing behind someone ordering CS!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:56 AM   #994
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
I haven't seen any official word on this yet, but I did see someone mention it in one of these threads. Apparently Disney may be able to make them flash, like a restaurant "pager".

As I've said before, the October FCC filing by Disney says the MagicBands have a Wi-Fi transceiver embedded in them. This may be the purpose for it. However, it's of limited life (non-replaceable battery), so I don't know how it would work for AP holders over a longer term.
So would that pager type device have a screen with times displayed?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #995
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
I am worried because my DD is the one that will have a MYW ticket, so obviously we will be doing everything together.

I'm holding out hope FP+ won't be in effect until after our trip. Then I won't have to worry about it anymore.
That's my worry too. I'll have an AP this year but each of my kids is only traveling with me once so they'll all have MYW tickets. I'm particularly concerned about December, when I'll be traveling solo with my 4yo, because obviously we'll need to have the same times for everything and I'm not sure how that is going to work with different ticket types.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 AM   #996
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Can you imagine getting behind a Brazilian tour group guide?!

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:45 AM   #997
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
So would that pager type device have a screen with times displayed?
Not that I am aware of. It would only blink to remind you. If you can't remember what it was, you check a kiosk.

I'm kinda guessing on this part though, based on the FCC filing and a passing mention in a thread.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

Old 01-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #998
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Not that I am aware of. It would only blink to remind you. If you can't remember what it was, you check a kiosk.

I'm kinda guessing on this part though, based on the FCC filing and a passing mention in a thread.
Wow, I don't see that working very long. Or maybe it's just me. It would drive me nuts not having the time right there. Of course, I can write it down. But that makes the days of getting a ticket with the time printed on it look like a technological step forward.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:37 AM   #999
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:

This doesn't seem like a great idea. Can you imagine sitting in a dark show - like Philharmagic, or Hall of Presidents and having all these wristbands flash?

DVC4US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #1000
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC4US View Post
This doesn't seem like a great idea. Can you imagine sitting in a dark show - like Philharmagic, or Hall of Presidents and having all these wristbands flash?
True. And I haven't seen anything yet that shows any sort of indicator on the band. But I don't know what the wi-fi transceiver is for.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #1001
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsbrla View Post
Hopefully they will consider doing it on a dollar amount spent versus just a pure value-mod-deluxe designation.

I'm spending a week in late May, and my cost for tickets + a Cars suite at AOA is just $100 less than the same package at Wilderness Lodge for example. I'd hate to have say 1/2 the FP+ opportunities those guests do just based on the geography of where I'm staying vs. the amount I've spent.
But if they did it by dollar amount spent, how would they handle all the DVC owners?

Old 01-09-2013, 10:49 AM   #1002
DVC4US
DVC Member since 1998

Quote:
True. And I haven't seen anything yet that shows any sort of indicator on the band. But I don't know what the wi-fi transceiver is for.
I agree, it is curious.

Also, I read somewhere the potential for sending you a text message on your phone(rumor) to remind you of your FP+ time. This biggest problem with this is I don't walk around the park with my phone in my hand. It's usually in my purse where I can't hear it(or feel it vibrate) and I take it out only if I'm expecting a call/text or if I'm bored in line.

Old 01-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #1003
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC4US View Post
Also, I read somewhere the potential for sending you a text message on your phone(rumor) to remind you of your FP+ time. This biggest problem with this is I don't walk around the park with my phone in my hand. It's usually in my purse where I can't hear it(or feel it vibrate) and I take it out only if I'm expecting a call/text or if I'm bored in line.
I'm the same way. I hardly ever notice an incoming call or text in the parks. And I have no intention of turning up my ringer volume or keeping the phone in my hands. Can you imagine how fun it will be to hear everyone's ringers going off at all the Disney shows?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #1004
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Wow - this is utterly amazing to me! Everyone here at the DIS is bringing up so many interesting issues and questions from:

dark ride blinking magic bands to families with multiple ticket types trying to ride together to the amount one spends vs the resort class....

This really makes me half-wonder (hope???) if Disney just posts enough info about the new program with many kinks knowingly still in it and then monitors the heck out these boards with problem-solver imagineers to learn the potential bugs in their new "great" ideas.

One can only hope as there appear to be many potential problems.

DISboard peeps rock!

Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #1005
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I'm not seeing this issue as a deal breaker. People without smartphones can print the times at home or get a copy from their hotel or guest services. Alternatively, they can simply write them down or input them into thier 'dumb' phone's calendar. Or they can use their ipod touch, if they have one.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: