Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #976
chicagoshannon
DIS Veteran

I wonder if we'll start seeing threads like " I'm about to cancel my FP+ for Space Mountain at 3pm" threads like we see in the dining forum. Should be interesting.

I think I'd rather see them go back to the olden days when there were no fast passes at all. Back then even at Christmas it was rare to see a line longer than 90 minutes at peak times.
Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #977
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshannon View Post
I wonder if we'll start seeing threads like " I'm about to cancel my FP+ for Space Mountain at 3pm" threads like we see in the dining forum. Should be interesting.

I think I'd rather see them go back to the olden days when there were no fast passes at all. Back then even at Christmas it was rare to see a line longer than 90 minutes at peak times.
~LOL.Great post! I think it will be very interesting to see how theme park culture adapts & evolves around all of these technological advances & changes! I really don't think it will be that big of a stretch for most people, at least I hope not. I don't think we can ever go back to no fastpass, but then again, anything is possible, lol. It's so much fun watching all of this unfold!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 12:53 PM   #978
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168 View Post

Aslong as I can get a FP+ for Stitch!

LOL, I tell you what. If I log on before my next trip and all that is available..... I'll give you MY slot!
mom2rtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:08 PM   #979
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk

LOL, I tell you what. If I log on before my next trip and all that is available..... I'll give you MY slot!
Sorry. FPs are non-transferable. The punishment is riding Stitch. Twice.
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #980
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahber View Post
Sorry. FPs are non-transferable. The punishment is riding Stitch. Twice.

OK, no need to do anything rash............ We can all walk away from this unscathed........ I promise I won't do it...........
Old 01-08-2013, 01:34 PM   #981
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

So at this point is there confirmation that:

Regular FP goes away?
OR
Regular FP cannot be used on the same day as one has a whopping 3 FP+ experiences reserved?

Perhaps this has been answered already - just did not see it clearly stated anywhere.

Wondering if during a 7 day trip if a person could one day opt to use FP+ and day 2 in the same park opt to use FP only.

Sydnerella's Mama

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #982
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post

Regular FP goes away?
OR
Regular FP cannot be used on the same day as one has a whopping 3 FP+ experiences reserved?

Perhaps this has been answered already - just did not see it clearly stated anywhere.

Wondering if during a 7 day trip if a person could one day opt to use FP+ and day 2 in the same park opt to use FP only.

Sydnerella's Mama
According to Cheshire Figment on this thread or one of the other FP+ threads, the reason why regular FP is incompatible with FP+ is the regular FP machine requires a car with a magnetic stripe, something the Next-Gen wristbands/RFID cards won't have.

Whether FP+ will incorporate regular FP characteristics (meaning being able to access more FP+s other than your advance reservations) remains to be seen.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #983
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydnerella View Post

1) Regular FP goes away?

OR

2)Regular FP cannot be used on the same day as one has a whopping 3 FP+ experiences reserved?

3) Wondering if during a 7 day trip if a person could one day opt to use FP+ and day 2 in the same park opt to use FP only.

Sydnerella's Mama
From what we DO know:

1) Not entirely sure on the long term, but it seems like it will go away. Short term, no. Both systems will be available at least until they are ready to have everyone use FP+. Whether it will be optional or not to use regular FP for resort guests at resorts that have been converted/enabled at least remains to be seen.

2) No. In the Terms & Conditions, it is stated that once you are converted to use FP+, you cannot use regular Fastpass. Set in stone, at least until the stone changes.

3) No, for the same reason as #2.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:56 PM   #984
Sydnerella
enough is as good as a feast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
According to Cheshire Figment on this thread or one of the other FP+ threads, the reason why regular FP is incompatible with FP+ is the regular FP machine requires a car with a magnetic stripe, something the Next-Gen wristbands/RFID cards won't have.

Whether FP+ will incorporate regular FP characteristics (meaning being able to access more FP+s other than your advance reservations) remains to be seen.
Thank you! OH... I had not thought this was a potential option - to get more FP+ than your 3FP+ reserved in advance once you were in the park...

That would be nicer.. far nicer. As 3 is not much - I assume that would be a reduction in daily FPs for most DIS members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doconeill View Post
From what we DO know:

1) Not entirely sure on the long term, but it seems like it will go away. Short term, no. Both systems will be available at least until they are ready to have everyone use FP+. Whether it will be optional or not to use regular FP for resort guests at resorts that have been converted/enabled at least remains to be seen.

2) No. In the Terms & Conditions, it is stated that once you are converted to use FP+, you cannot use regular Fastpass. Set in stone, at least until the stone changes.

3) No, for the same reason as #2.
That makes sense, thanks. Would be nice if one could add to their 3 once in the park. Guess that will be known soon.

October 2013 - Port Orleans Riverside, March 2012 - Port Orleans French Quarter, February 2011 -Carribean Beach, March 2010 - VRBO House, April 2008 - VRBO House, March 2006 - Celebration
Sydnerella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #985
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post

I wondered why they haven't already been retrofitting the existing kiosks with RFID readers. It's not that difficult to piggyback a swipe system with an RFID system...many credit card POS terminals have it now.

But I also wondered why hey didn't retrofit them with barcode readers when they started to add that as a backup feature on the tickets and turnstiles. They must have seen ahead and expected to be replacing the kiosks completely at some point.

It looks like once everyone had RFID media of some sort, THAT will be the way everyone uses FP+, and there will be no "regular FP". However, day trippers, or those who have at least not already chosen their "three" in advance, would likely use it similar to how FP works now - walk up, touch the MagicBand/card/embedded neural implant/etc, and either take the next available slot or pick a later one if available.

In addition, it appears that you won't necessarily have to go all the way to an attraction to do it, but can do it at any kiosk.

We still don't know for certain if everyone is limited to the "three". But I think it's a good bet everyone will be using the same system down the road.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:39 AM   #986
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraJayne View Post
The uncertainty of it all is what's making me irritated. Knowing we have both AP's and MYW tickets in our group makes me very nervous about possible differences to the two groups and how they will be handled.

Just announce a date already.
Same here. In my case, my husband and I both have AP's, but he usually just goes once or maybe twice a year, whereas I go 4-6 times a year. Add in the fact that I take my mom one or twice a year and she'll have regular MYW tickets, I'm concerned. I'd have already used my 20 fast passes for the quarter, when my husband makes his trip, so there would be some trips where I'd have to stand in long standby lines, while he uses fast pass+. If all three of us happen to be down there the same trip, how do we use fast passes together? Plus we'd be staying offsite, so wouldn't qualify for however many they decide to offer for onsite guests.

Last edited by aubriee; 01-09-2013 at 02:54 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:48 AM   #987
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRmS View Post
That's all I'm really concerned with, how us APs will be treated with these changes.

I'm semi-local and make frequent weekend trips, my APs expire in May and I want to make sure that the changes will be worth it for me to renew for 2013. My kids absolutely love going, but if Disney is going to make it harder for us locals then I can spend my money elsewhere (US, IOA, BG)
My WDW AP expired in Nov and I planned on waiting until I got there May 10th to get a new one (have an old one day ticket to trade in, so can't do it online now). My Universal AP will expire the first week of May and I usually renew it every April to get the discount. I currently have airfare booked for midMay and also have a one bedroom villa booked at Wyndham Bonnet Creek. I really wished WDW would just give us all the details, so we can make an informed decision on what to do. So far I am not liking anything I'm hearing about Fast Pass Plus. My husband and I talked about this the other night. If they are going to do away with the old fast pass system and if they are only going to allow AP holders 20 fast pass+ per quarter and those are only three/day, that can only be used for one headliner/day, then we are not going to renew this year. We'll be taking our money elsewhere. Hopefully more information will come out soon and we'll be pleasantly surprised, but if not this will be the first time in almost nine years that I won't be making a trip to WDW (and usually 4-6 per year).

Last edited by aubriee; 01-09-2013 at 02:56 AM.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #988
SaraJayne
Stop moving those smilies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
Same here. In my case, my husband and I both have AP's, but he usually just goes once or maybe twice a year, whereas I go 4-6 times a year. Add in the fact that I take my mom one or twice a year and she'll have regular MYW tickets, I'm concerned. I'd have already used my 20 fast passes for the quarter, when my husband makes his trip, so there would be some trips where I'd have to stand in long standby lines, while he uses fast pass+. If all three of us happen to be down there the same trip, how do we use fast passes together? Plus we'd be staying offsite, so wouldn't qualify for however many they decide to offer for onsite guests.
I am worried because my DD is the one that will have a MYW ticket, so obviously we will be doing everything together.

I'm holding out hope FP+ won't be in effect until after our trip. Then I won't have to worry about it anymore.
SaraJayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #989
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I wondered why they haven't already been retrofitting the existing kiosks with RFID readers. It's not that difficult to piggyback a swipe system with an RFID system...many credit card POS terminals have it now.

But I also wondered why hey didn't retrofit them with barcode readers when they started to add that as a backup feature on the tickets and turnstiles. They must have seen ahead and expected to be replacing the kiosks completely at some point.

It looks like once everyone had RFID media of some sort, THAT will be the way everyone uses FP+, and there will be no "regular FP". However, day trippers, or those who have at least not already chosen their "three" in advance, would likely use it similar to how FP works now - walk up, touch the MagicBand/card/embedded neural implant/etc, and either take the next available slot or pick a later one if available.

In addition, it appears that you won't necessarily have to go all the way to an attraction to do it, but can do it at any kiosk.

We still don't know for certain if everyone is limited to the "three". But I think it's a good bet everyone will be using the same system down the road.
For people without smart phones, I wonder what their plan is to help people actually remember what time their FPs are. My mind is going a million directions when I'm at Disney and have to consult those printed tickets many times over the course of the day to make sure I don't get it wrong. Maybe the kiosks in the parks would have printers?

And can you imagine standing behind someone at a FP kiosk who actually has to decide what time they want? Now that I think about it though, I can't imagine that would be an option. Too many early day slots would just go unused.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:41 AM   #990
MAGICFOR2
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I just had a thought while reading this - once you get your return time by bracelet and not printed FP, I will have a hard time remembering when to return!
MAGICFOR2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: