Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #316
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
For the record, utilization is the number of people who ride an attraction versus the capacity. If a ride takes 100 people an hour and only 70 ride, it is at 70% utilization.

Disney considers unused ride capacity or the "utilization gap" to be wasted investment and resources. They want you on the less popular rides and not re-riding the e-tickets which are at or near 100% utilization. In fact, those rides turn potential guests away due to the lengthy queues.

So while it may upset you to find it out, Disney does not want you doing what you do to ride an e-ticket 2 or more times per visit. They are putting in processes to stop you.
What they may actually be doing though, is putting people off so much that we won't be going there at all. As I said in a previous post, I am not a fan of
DS. The only rides I like there are TSMM and Star Tours. I like them enough to make a trip over there and while I am there I may stop off and see the Muppets and if I happen to be there around lunch time I may stop off at the bar at 50's Prime Time to eat lunch. I also like their gift shops for some reason and always stop in the Villian's candy store and also grab a cupcake at Starring Rolls for later, so I do spend money there. However if they keep me from riding TSMM several times,(like I do now), then I won't even bother entering that park for the whole ten days I'm down there every trip. TSMM is the only reason I go to DS.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:50 AM   #317
aubriee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raenstoirm View Post
What about the non-local AP holders such as myself? We come for either one extended visit per year or two smaller trips, so we tend to buy APs. If we take the longer trip, I can only use Fps for a few days of my trip? Thats not fair! I am paying big bucks for APs. I'd just as soon buy regular tickets if the only way I can get FPs is with them!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
There's some speculation that AP holders who stay onsite might get the same FP+ onsite privileges as other onsite guests who are using MYW tickets. If that's the case, I'd be much happier than trying to figure out how to ration my AP's ration of FP+ over the course of a 10-day or 14-day trip.
But what about those AP holders like me that make 4-6 trips a year down there and choose to stay offsite? Like I said in a previous post, I was at AKL for ten days in Sept, then offsite for another ten days in Oct/Nov. I'll be down there again in May for eleven days, again offsite (skipping my Feb trip this year). There's an excelent chance that I'll be down there more than once a quarter and that I'll be staying offsite for most of those trips and each trip will be 10-11 days long. I won't be able to use fastpass for even the length of one trip and then will not be able to use it at all if another trip happens to fall within that quarter. I am not local and just like any other out of state guest, spend alot money on airfare to get down there. My AP costs more than the guest who makes a once in a lifetime trip down there for a week. It just seems like WDW is punishing their loyal AP holders. My trip costs just as much as the person who makes a once in a lifetime trip down there, yet they get fastpasses, while if my trip happens to be the second in that quarter, I don't. For that matter they will get fastpasses for their whole trip, but even it's my first trip down there for that quarter, I only get fastpasses for five out of my eleven days. How is that fair?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-22-2012, 09:53 AM   #318
Traveliz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post
But what about those AP holders like me that make 4-6 trips a year down there and choose to stay offsite? Like I said in a previous post, I was at AKL for ten days in Sept, then offsite for another ten days in Oct/Nov. I'll be down there again in May for eleven days, again offsite (skipping my Feb trip this year). There's an excelent chance that I'll be down there more than once a quarter and that I'll be staying offsite for most of those trips and each trip will be 10-11 days long. I won't be able to use fastpass for even the length of one trip and then will not be able to use it at all if another trip happens to fall within that quarter. I am not local and just like any other out of state guest, spend alot money on airfare to get down there. My AP costs more than the guest who makes a once in a lifetime trip down there for a week. It just seems like WDW is punishing their loyal AP holders. My trip costs just as much as the person who makes a once in a lifetime trip down there, yet they get fastpasses, while if my trip happens to be the second in that quarter, I don't. For that matter they will get fastpasses for their whole trip, but even it's my first trip down there for that quarter, I only get fastpasses for five out of my eleven days. How is that fair?
Yeah it doesn't seem right - hopefuly that isn't the way it goes. I am AP too and have a condo ( I am not here year round - just for visits) in the area so I do a lot of runs to the park for one thing, shopping, dinner, that sort of thing BUT I also do a lot of commnado trips with friends and family who I either bring with me or come to visit and I would hate to end up being their tour guide (just a phrase) and not get to do the attractions with them because I have used up my "allowance"

Liz
Traveliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:03 AM   #319
aubriee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveliz View Post
Yeah it doesn't seem right - hopefuly that isn't the way it goes. I am AP too and have a condo ( I am not here year round - just for visits) in the area so I do a lot of runs to the park for one thing, shopping, dinner, that sort of thing BUT I also do a lot of commnado trips with friends and family who I either bring with me or come to visit and I would hate to end up being their tour guide (just a phrase) and not get to do the attractions with them because I have used up my "allowance"

Liz
True! I usually take my mom down there once a year (this year I took her twice though). I have an AP, but she never does. My husband gets an AP and usually makes two trips a year with me. He is not as big as fan as I am though, so I make several solo trips (or a trip with my mom), where he does not go. With the alottment of only 20 FP per quarter for an AP holder, most trips I would not be able to ride with my husband and my mom would never be able to ride with us. We would have to ride stand by all the time.

What gets me though is even on my solo trips, I wouldn't be able to use fast passes for my entire trip. I'm always down there for alot more than five days. I also don't think it's right that they won't let you use your alloted fast passes on the rides you want. I would use one for TSM, but then my other two would be wasted for that day, since I don't care for the other rides at that park. I would rather be able to leave that park and go over to AK to use my other two fastpasses for that day.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #320
G8r4evr
DIS Veteran

FP+ sounds incredibly complicated for a vacation that I am supposed to be letting my brain rest during. Sheesh.

Contemporary, All Star Sports, Swan & Dolphin, Port Orleans Riverside, Caribbean Beach, Coronado Springs, Hilton Bonnet Creek & and coming soon: POP Century!
G8r4evr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 10:15 AM   #321
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8r4evr View Post
FP+ sounds incredibly complicated for a vacation that I am supposed to be letting my brain rest during. Sheesh.
I agree. If true, I hate the idea of having to make specific park plans months in advance. Some people had a hard time understanding the current fastpass.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:56 AM   #322
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
Some people had a hard time understanding the current fastpass.
Agreed -- it's almost like FP+ is for the FP challenged... WDW spoonfeeds you specific rides at specific times so you don't have to worry about trying to figure it out.

Still, it will work for those who adapt/adopt it into their touring style.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:04 AM   #323
Sleepy425
Mouseketeer

To all of you who are saying this is fair because it allows families with small children to sleep in and then still get on TSMM, Soarin', etc -

Will you still be saying it is fair when you have to schedule your plans 60/90/120 days out for rides, and then your little ones' schedules change and the time you selected no longer works? I have 3 kids under 3 - one of whom is a foster child. When I just took them all to Disney last week, the plans I made 6 months ago for ADRs and MVMCP just didn't work (we had just gotten the foster child 3 weeks before leaving so her schedule was not factered into the plans). So we had to change everything that had been reserved. I can deal with losing out on ADRs and MVMCP. But to not be able to ride the rides that we go 1200 miles to experience because the FP+ was completely gone for that day would have been too much to lose.

I am thankful that my kids are not used to a strict schedule and I could easily adjust them to meet the days' needs. But not all kids are like that. And once in Disney, a child who has stuck to the same schedule for the past year may just be too exhausted/overstimulated to keep to it anymore.
Sleepy425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 11:32 AM   #324
Melodious
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB

Especially when nothing is official, it's all rumor. Plus they just finished another round of testing, anything could change.
Exactly, I'm just not quite ready to declare everything terrible and unfair until I do it for myself. But also about AP holders, I'm sure Disney is looking for new incentives to staying onsite. There have always been perks you had to stay onsite to get and as those have been eroded new perks are being devised. If you want all the toys, you have to play by their rules
Old 12-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #325
dislaney
faithlovepixiedust

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
I agree. If true, I hate the idea of having to make specific park plans months in advance. Some people had a hard time understanding the current fastpass.
I already have changed the way I eat at Disney because of the reservation system they have now. I used to eat at full service restaurants for the majority of my meals and now I tend to only eat at a full service or character restaurant a few times a trip. Planning and knowing what and where I want to eat so far in advance is just a deal breaker for me. I remember trying to eat meals when I wasn't even hungry because we had a reservation and it was a popular restaurant with hard to get reservations.

I can't even imagine knowing I want to ride Rock N Roller Coaster at 10:45 on Thursday of my trip. We were the family that pulled fast passes all morning and went back to the park after dinner and used them then. My children are getting older and we aren't taking as many trips as we used to and I can see us taking fewer trips, if this new system is implemented, as I read about it here.

I guess we will wait and see but fastpass plus doesn't sound very appealing to me.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:12 PM   #326
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

A thought for those saying "as long as I can still use FP..."

Well, to an extent you can during the transition, but, and a big but, the rides that are being added to FP+ system that never had FP before will never FP - ever.

Those will be via FP+ only. So during the transition you're looking at much longer lines for all of those attractions if you don't opt into FP+.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:26 PM   #327
bauer1168
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf
A thought for those saying "as long as I can still use FP..."

Well, to an extent you can during the transition, but, and a big but, the rides that are being added to FP+ system that never had FP before will never FP - ever.

Those will be via FP+ only. So during the transition you're looking at much longer lines for all of those attractions if you don't opt into FP+.
Which will make the standby lines for those attractions be potentially longer
bauer1168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:31 PM   #328
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bauer1168 View Post
Which will make the standby lines for those attractions be potentially longer
Absolutely true........ from my own personal observation last week.
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:34 PM   #329
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

But, but, but the fabulousness of it all!
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #330
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
But, but, but the fabulousness of it all!
mom2rtk is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: