Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Is Regular FastPass Still Available? SO Confused!!

Ugh, I'm mildly panicking! We went to DW last year and I loved how the FastPass system worked there... SO much more efficient than Disneyland which we went to the previous year who seemed to have barely any rides with FP. We are headed to DW this month and I have been online today trying to plan some stuff and I start reading about how FP + is now available, and from the reading I've done, it does NOT look ANYTHING like the DW experience we had last year that I hoped to have again!

Has FP + bumped regular FP off the face of DW yet? Or are they both here? Is FP + optional? We are staying at Art of Animation resort. I haven't gotten park tickets yet and planned to get them last minute at AAA. Is regular FP still optional? Are you allowed to choose? Do they randomly have certain people do it? Is it still in the testing phase or is FP + now the only option?

What I'm worried about:
- Reading that you can only get one main attraction FP at Epcot per day
- Not having any fastpasses left for good attractions. So many people mention that you can book 60 days in advance and so if you book last minute, you're left with nothing. I wish I had known this 2 months ago so I could have bought my tickets then... I had NO idea that preplanning was now going to be mandatory.
- Having to plan out parks far in advance. With two young kids, I don't like to be obligated to know which park I'm going to at what time on which day... 2 months in advance. And then be left with scraps if I don't.

So do I still have a choice? Can I request regular FP at the hotel, or when I get the tickets through AAA? Or do you get to use both while they are in testing phase (IF they are in testing phase). I honestly looked for a long time on the net trying to find specific dates to find out whether the new system is completely "here" now but I couldn't find anything... just lots of posts from a few months ago talking about how FP + would be here to stay soon.

I'm really upset. I saved up long and hard for this vacation because we enjoyed our last one so much and I feel like this has been sprung on me without warning. I dropped a ton of money for this trip and if FP + is all that's available, and the only way to use it efficiently is to plan in advance, I would have either planned far in advance or never spent my money like this!

Please help!!
canadawithboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 05:24 AM   #2
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadawithboys View Post
Ugh, I'm mildly panicking! We went to DW last year and I loved how the FastPass system worked there... SO much more efficient than Disneyland which we went to the previous year who seemed to have barely any rides with FP. We are headed to DW this month and I have been online today trying to plan some stuff and I start reading about how FP + is now available, and from the reading I've done, it does NOT look ANYTHING like the DW experience we had last year that I hoped to have again!

Has FP + bumped regular FP off the face of DW yet? Or are they both here? Is FP + optional? We are staying at Art of Animation resort. I haven't gotten park tickets yet and planned to get them last minute at AAA. Is regular FP still optional? Are you allowed to choose? Do they randomly have certain people do it? Is it still in the testing phase or is FP + now the only option?

What I'm worried about:
- Reading that you can only get one main attraction FP at Epcot per day
- Not having any fastpasses left for good attractions. So many people mention that you can book 60 days in advance and so if you book last minute, you're left with nothing. I wish I had known this 2 months ago so I could have bought my tickets then... I had NO idea that preplanning was now going to be mandatory.
- Having to plan out parks far in advance. With two young kids, I don't like to be obligated to know which park I'm going to at what time on which day... 2 months in advance. And then be left with scraps if I don't.

So do I still have a choice? Can I request regular FP at the hotel, or when I get the tickets through AAA? Or do you get to use both while they are in testing phase (IF they are in testing phase). I honestly looked for a long time on the net trying to find specific dates to find out whether the new system is completely "here" now but I couldn't find anything... just lots of posts from a few months ago talking about how FP + would be here to stay soon.

I'm really upset. I saved up long and hard for this vacation because we enjoyed our last one so much and I feel like this has been sprung on me without warning. I dropped a ton of money for this trip and if FP + is all that's available, and the only way to use it efficiently is to plan in advance, I would have either planned far in advance or never spent my money like this!

Please help!!
You are staying at a Disney resort, so you will receive MagicBands for everyone on your room reservation. As part of the MagicBand program, you will be eligible to make 3 FP+ reservations each day in one park (as soon as you buy tickets and attach them to your My Disney Experience account.)

Disney still considers this a testing phase for the new system, so they have been giving resort guests KTTW cards as backups in case their MB malfunctions in some way. Those KTTW cards will allow you to pull paper FPs from the legacy machines. There have been rumors that Disney may start giving out KTTW cards that won't work in the legacy FP machines, but the only reports of that seem to be focused on a CM test. The thing to remember is any of this stuff with the legacy FP can change at any time. What is true today could be turned on a dime tomorrow.

The pool for paper FPs is much smaller than it used to be because of the pre booked FP+ reservations, so paper FPs for TSM, TT and Soarin have all been running out within about an hour or so of park opening. Smaller FP rides (Dumbo, Buzz, Mission Space) still seem to have a fair number of paper FPs left during the day.

My advice to you? Buy your tickets as soon as you can from AAA and attach them to your MDE account. That way you can make some FP+ reservations ahead of time and then you can figure out the rest of your touring plan from there.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-04-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
cel_disney
DIS Veteran

I have not experienced it yet, but it seems that even if you make some reservations in advance, you will be able to make additional ones day of your park stay from inside the park.

I agree with you - one of the main reasons we did not like DL was the lack of FP rides. I do think that overall - being able to schedule rides with require more planning upfront but will cut down on our criss-crossing the park or having to skip a FP because it interfered with an ADR or nap.

Good Luck with your planning. WDW has been very open about the new FP+ system with several press releases this year. Sorry that you have not seem them until now! I hope you can get what and not feel cheated by Disney and enjoy your vacation!
cel_disney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I feel like this has been sprung on me without warning. I dropped a ton of money for this trip and if FP + is all that's available, and the only way to use it efficiently is to plan in advance, I would have either planned far in advance or never spent my money like this!
I'm sorry you feel that way, but in fairness this has been in testing since 2012 and it was not a secret. I'm not sure how Disney is suppose to notify every possible visitor. You don't mention when you are taking your trip, but at this point, yes, you have the option to opt out of the testing. You would not prepick FP+. However, as already stated legacy fastpasses seem to be running out faster because of FP+. If you tour at rope drop, you should be ok. If you sleep in, you might want to rethink participating in FP+ and take advantage of it. At this point there is a tier for the rides at Epcot. We are all waiting to see if this might also be the case for HS.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #5
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

If you really think this isn't the vacation that you were planning on, you do have the option of planning to go somewhere else with your hard-saved money. Where else have you always dreamed of going and haven't gotten to yet?
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:14 AM   #6
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Thanks so much to those of you who gave info! That is extremely helpful and I think my plans for today will be buying the tickets and seeing what I can plan before next week. We're definitely not rope drop people as our time difference is 2 hours (when it's 8am in Florida, it's 6am here) and with a toddler I prefer everyone to be well rested as pretty much our entire trip we will be adjusting to the time difference. We used to be "go in the late afternoon and stay until late evening" people but it seems that won't be such a good idea anymore eh?

Quote:
but the only reports of that seem to be focused on a CM test.
What does "CM" stand for?

I don't have the option to change my vacation plans as I've already paid my room deposit and bought my plane tickets, so it doesn't matter what other vacations I priced out when deciding where to take my boys (Jamaica was one). I realize I should never assume that things are going to be the same from year to year and I have no one to blame but myself. We're still going to have a great time, but I was (wrongly) assuming that my planning for last year's trip was going to mostly cut it for this one as well, with a bit of tweaking here and there. That was a REALLY bad assumption!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
magicaldisney
DIS Veteran

CM stands for Cast Member. So, some information is coming from cast members at this point. Reliable information?? Not always!

We also sleep in late and don't head to the parks until late morning or lunch time and stay late into the night. We will do the best we can with what we have this year. We will be there in less than three weeks and I'm hoping no more glitches show up than already have. All we can do is roll with the punches at this point. I do agree that for the amount of money that a WDW trip costs you want it to be the Happiest Place on Earth!! We just have to concentrate on making it that way.

Have a great trip. It will all work out. Maybe this trip is the trip to smell the roses and check out all the little things Disney has to offer.
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Thanks so much to those of you who gave info! That is extremely helpful and I think my plans for today will be buying the tickets and seeing what I can plan before next week. We're definitely not rope drop people as our time difference is 2 hours (when it's 8am in Florida, it's 6am here) and with a toddler I prefer everyone to be well rested as pretty much our entire trip we will be adjusting to the time difference. We used to be "go in the late afternoon and stay until late evening" people but it seems that won't be such a good idea anymore eh?

What does "CM" stand for?

I don't have the option to change my vacation plans as I've already paid my room deposit and bought my plane tickets, so it doesn't matter what other vacations I priced out when deciding where to take my boys (Jamaica was one). I realize I should never assume that things are going to be the same from year to year and I have no one to blame but myself. We're still going to have a great time, but I was (wrongly) assuming that my planning for last year's trip was going to mostly cut it for this one as well, with a bit of tweaking here and there. That was a REALLY bad assumption!
CM stands for "cast member" or otherwise an employee of Disney.

You do what we do it sounds like. We "sleep in", get there mid morning to early afternoon and take advantage of late Extra Magic Hours (EMH). FP+ is excellent for you! I would log on to My Disney Experience soon and make sure you have your tickets linked and schedule some rides if you can. If not, it's not the end of the world. Once you do get your tickets, you can still link them that day and schedule for the remaining days.

Regular paper FP is still available, but like always, headliner rides are gone early in the day sometimes, so it requires getting there earlier.

This can definitely work for you and work well. Feel free to ask any questions.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:23 AM   #9
kay1864
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
The pool for paper FPs is much smaller than it used to be because of the pre booked FP+ reservations
Is this known to be true? Or were paper FPs running out early only during Columbus Day week? I.e., it could be a combination of FP+ and the crowds. Or even Disney adjusting the number of paper FPs behind the scenes, in conjunction with FP+.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose View Post
so paper FPs for TSM, TT and Soarin have all been running out within about an hour or so of park opening.
Is this still the case in DHS and Epcot? Are paper FPs running out quicker than normal for Halloween/early Nov?
kay1864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 11:41 AM   #10
canadawithboys
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all the encouragement! This is only our second time going, so there will still be lots to check out there. I'm especially excited about all the Christmas decor, like the giant gingerbread house, etc. I was definitely feeling overwhelmed last night... I'm just going to go with the info I have now and try and wing it! I'm sure it will be an awesome trip no matter what though!
Old 11-04-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
AmyB2006
I'd rather be in Disney!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay1864 View Post

Is this still the case in DHS and Epcot? Are paper FPs running out quicker than normal for Halloween/early Nov?
No, it's not still the case. We were there last week, 26th through 29th and I moved my TT FP around the day of, actually. FPs were still available in the early afternoon on the days we were there (Saturday) in Epcot. By mid afternoon they were gone, but that's typical.

AmyB2006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 01:38 PM   #12
Keacc
Mouseketeer

The new fast pass system is just another way that Disney has come up with to stick it to people who don't stay on property. We pay the same amount for tickets but lose out. We went to Hollywoood Studios at rope drop. Went straight to Rockin' Rollercoaster to get a fast pass. Much to our dismay , The time on the fast pass was for 4:45pm the same day. You have got to be kidding? Thanks, Disney for ruining what was a fare system!
Old 11-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #13
BrerNashville
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We used to be "go in the late afternoon and stay until late evening" people but it seems that won't be such a good idea anymore eh?

If you did this consistently on your last trip, there probably weren't FPs available for Soarin and TSMM available when you got to the park then. I have no idea what the availability of FP+ would be for the dates you are going, but definitely go ahead, buy your park tix, link them, and get on the system to make some reservations. You'll probably find that the new system will work to your advantage.

As far as I can tell, the new system most adversely affects: (1) offsite guests (at least during this testing phase), and (2) those who have been used to getting to the park prior to RD and gorging themselves on FPs (I don't say that pejoratively -- we fit into the latter category.)

If you normally don't get to the parks until the afternoon, you may actually be able to schedule that TSMM FP that you never could have gotten under the old system.
BrerNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:19 AM   #14
DLFT
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keacc View Post
The new fast pass system is just another way that Disney has come up with to stick it to people who don't stay on property. We pay the same amount for tickets but lose out. We went to Hollywoood Studios at rope drop. Went straight to Rockin' Rollercoaster to get a fast pass. Much to our dismay , The time on the fast pass was for 4:45pm the same day. You have got to be kidding? Thanks, Disney for ruining what was a fare system!
As someone on another thread posted, you can't pay for a happy meal and expect a steak. With the cutback on Extra Magic Hours in the last year or so, they have to offer certain incentives to onsite guests to justify their prices. I see no problem with it.
Summer 2003- Ft. Wilderness Cabins Jan 2005- All Star Sports
Dec 2005- Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends) May 2007- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 07/08- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds/Cabins March 2009- Ft. Wilderness Cabins
Winter 2009- Ft. Wilderness Campgrounds Winter 2011- POFQ/Ft. Wilderness Cabins (with friends)
March 2013- POFQ Dec. 2013- Ft. Wilderness Cabins May 2014-All Star Sports December 2014-Ft. Wilderness Cabins
DLFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
DoughR
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We went to DW last year and I loved how the FastPass system worked there... SO much more efficient than Disneyland which we went to the previous year who seemed to have barely any rides with FP.
That's strange. If anything, FP- works better at DLR than WDW. I can see the benefit of FP+ for such a large resort as WDW but I'm hoping the system stays as is at DLR.
DoughR is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: