Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Rigby
Earning My Ears

Best hotel to stay at in port canaveral?

Will be cruising on the fantasy for the first time in February 2014 and was wondering what people's thoughts were on which is the best/most convenient hotel to stay in in port canaveral the night before our cruise? Thanks!
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:48 AM   #2
havaneselover
DIS Veteran

We did the Radisson on our last cruise but that would not be my first choice. It's dated and the shuttle service was chaotic. This time we are doing the Residence Inn. It worked well for my situation because my mom is joining us so we got a 2 bedroom cruise package which includes parking for 2 cars. My second choice would be the Country Inn. I would probably due this if it were just me and the kids because it is less expensive.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-20-2012, 05:47 AM   #3
jodical
Mouseketeer

We just stayed at the Country Inn & Suites last month for the night before our cruise. The rooms and hotel itself are very nice but we were not impressed with their... um, bookeeping or shuttle service.

As far as bookeeping, we had reserved 4 rooms under 4 names and 1 credit card. When the others checked in and presented credit cards, their rooms were never charged to them. After the reserver received their credit card statement they found out they had been charged for all the rooms. When they called in to attempt to get it fixed, the hotel claimed they couldn't find any record of our staying in the hotel! It took a couple of days and several phone calls - all on our end because no one ever returned a call when they said they would - to get it all straightened out.

My biggest issue with them is that they state you cannot reserve space on their shuttle until check-in or the day before your departure. Well, we drove 11+ hours, arrived at 6pm and they had no room on any of the shuttles for our party of 10 at our scheduled DCL check-in time. Luckily, we had two vehicles that we were leaving there for the week. We drove everyone and the luggage over at 8am and then the two drivers drove back and caught a 9am shuttle back to the port (they made an exception for the 2 drivers without luggage because at that time they are only picking up from the port). We had to camp on the sidewalk for a couple of hours but at least we got to talk to a lot of debarking passengers and get the scoop on the new ship.

The good news is that they are close enough to the Port (less than 2 miles) that a cab can get you there in no time at all. (We had called them as a backup plan when we were having the scheduling issues with the hotel shuttle.)

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 AM   #4
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical View Post
We just stayed at the Country Inn & Suites last month for the night before our cruise. The rooms and hotel itself are very nice but we were not impressed with their... um, bookeeping or shuttle service.

As far as bookeeping, we had reserved 4 rooms under 4 names and 1 credit card. When the others checked in and presented credit cards, their rooms were never charged to them. After the reserver received their credit card statement they found out they had been charged for all the rooms. When they called in to attempt to get it fixed, the hotel claimed they couldn't find any record of our staying in the hotel! It took a couple of days and several phone calls - all on our end because no one ever returned a call when they said they would - to get it all straightened out.

My biggest issue with them is that they state you cannot reserve space on their shuttle until check-in or the day before your departure. Well, we drove 11+ hours, arrived at 6pm and they had no room on any of the shuttles for our party of 10 at our scheduled DCL check-in time. Luckily, we had two vehicles that we were leaving there for the week. We drove everyone and the luggage over at 8am and then the two drivers drove back and caught a 9am shuttle back to the port (they made an exception for the 2 drivers without luggage because at that time they are only picking up from the port). We had to camp on the sidewalk for a couple of hours but at least we got to talk to a lot of debarking passengers and get the scoop on the new ship.

The good news is that they are close enough to the Port (less than 2 miles) that a cab can get you there in no time at all. (We had called them as a backup plan when we were having the scheduling issues with the hotel shuttle.)
I had concerns about the shuttle, too, that we couldn't book until we arrived. I know myself and knew I'd be a nervous wreck! We were driving two cars from Georgia with my in-laws behind us and felt like I'd be too nervous trying to book the shuttle once we arrived. We ended up parking at the Park N Cruise nearby but stayed at the Residence Inn because we needed somewhere to stay! Very pleased with the hotel itself. Breakfast was good.

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We stayed at the Residence Inn before our cruise last week. Found it a really nice place and the free breakfast was great. Very near the port.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
JimGA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigby View Post
Will be cruising on the fantasy for the first time in February 2014 and was wondering what people's thoughts were on which is the best/most convenient hotel to stay in in port canaveral the night before our cruise? Thanks!
I researched Trip Advisor and the Country Inn & Suites and Residence Inn got great reviews. There are the occassional posts about the shuttle service being very hectic and also very smooth. I myself, do not really care for shuttle services so we are just going to park at the port, little $$ for ease, convience and peace of mind.

Disney World 1978, 1995, 2010, 2011
PORS 2010, POFQ 2011, CBR 2012

Disney Dream, May 2013
Disney Fantasy, Thanksgiving 2015
JimGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 AM   #7
tweis
DIS Veteran

We stayed at the Radisson Resort in June and while we had no problem at all with the shuttle service we did not care for the beds at all. Our next cruise is not until May 2014 so I have some time to decide whether we will stay there again or Country Inn.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:38 PM   #8
Rigby
Earning My Ears

Thanks everyone! This site is great.
Rigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
dizneekrazee
Fullfilling my bucket list, one vacation at a time....

We booked at the Hampton, and booked a special that includes shuttle service from MCO to hotel, from hotel to port, from port to MCO. Also, they have free breakfast.

DLR-Many times!!WDWTBD DCLfingers crossed for 10/15
Walt Disney Family Museum 3/12Club 33 8/12, 5/13, 8/13Pixar Animation Studios 1/13Aulani 4/13Walt's Apartment 5/13
dizneekrazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #10
shburks
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee
We booked at the Hampton, and booked a special that includes shuttle service from MCO to hotel, from hotel to port, from port to MCO. Also, they have free breakfast.
Wow...that's great!

DCL: Wonder: October 2015 * Magic: January 2014 * Fantasy: October 2013 * Dream: January 2013 * Fantasy: August 2012
WDW: Beach Club Apr 2014 * Coronado Springs Oct 2013 * Boardwalk Sept 2013 * Animal Kingdom Lodge July 2013 * PO French Quarter (Jan 2013, Apr 2014) * Pop Century (Aug 2012, Dec 2009) * Wilderness Lodge (Sept, 2013, Oct 2011, Sept 2010), ASMo Dec 2003, off property: 1990, 1988, 1985
Disney's Vero Beach Resort: July 2013
shburks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 05:09 PM   #11
travelcoupons
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizneekrazee View Post
There's actually a half dozen or so hotels near the port that offer this in their rate. There's a list on http://www.parkingstay.com . You'd want the 'cruise & fly' package if you want transportation to MCO.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #12
indyxray5
Earning My Ears

We are staying at the Country Inn and are going to leave our car and will call a cab for $10
indyxray5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:59 PM   #13
nkochrn
Mouseketeer

We are staying at the Ron Jon Resort in January. I'll be sure to leave a review of it when we get back. I've stayed at the LaQuinta Inn a couple summers ago and it was a very nice place with a great warm breakfast. It's not as close to the port though and I don't know anything about what it offers for shuttle service.
nkochrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 07:11 PM   #14
Dasha Hermosilla
Mouseketeer

We are at The Country Inn tonight before the Fantasy sailing tomorrow. It is about as convenient as you can get (The Residence Inn is right next door as well). It costs app $10 to take a cab to the port (we went tonight for dinner - 4 people and that included tip). I imagine it might be a bit more with luggage. Both cabs were mini vans so roomy. We did get an early shuttle but we checked in at 2:30.
Dasha Hermosilla is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:09 PM   #15
KTJ
Earning My Ears

Question about the cabs from the Country Inn - how far in advance do you call for them or reserve them? We're staying there before our January cruise and it sounds as if the cab is a better option than the shuttle. . .

KTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: