Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
deidre
Earning My Ears

Advice: Dream Vs. Fantasy

Hi All!

My hubs and I decided that we're going to take a cruise this Jan./Feb. with our two little ones (ages 10 months and 2-1/2 at time of cruising). We are going to take advantage of the VTG. We would like some advice from experienced cruisers!!!

The Dream is 1700 with a balconey.
The Fantasty is Eastern cruise and is 3000 with a balconey.

That's a 1300 difference and we're wondering if it's "worth" it I guess with our kids being so young. We're wondering if we should do the Dream and then a few days at Sea World, etc.; however, we also like the thought of just relaxing on the ship for a few extra days as well.

I should mention, our air is paid for (have enough miles) so we don't have that expense.

ANY and ALL advice is appreciated!!!

Thanks!
deidre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

That's not really a good comparison. The Dream cruise is going to be 3 or 4 nights. The Fantasy cruise is 7 nights. So comparing the difference in cost isn't really valid.

Is your 2 1/2 year old potty trained? If not, you will be paying nursery fees for both children - assuming you want some adult time, though you may certainly choose not to use the nursery.

Otherwise, I'd think about what you want to do. Do you want 7 nights on the ship (definitely by choice!). We did a 4-night and decided that we definitely prefer longer. But our DD is school-age and you have little ones.

The 2 cruises will have different itineraries - ports of call. Are there any in particular that catch your eye? Any port adventures you'd particularly like to do? That might help you decide. Castaway Cay is the only port both cruises will stop at.

Good luck in your decision and enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

How much would you have to pay for hotel, meals and rental car to go to Sea World?

Yes, the extra time on the Fantasy is well worth the price difference.
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:20 PM   #4
JoiseyMom
Have you had your SPANX today???
I mean, peep poop should be shiny and colored!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidre View Post
Hi All!

My hubs and I decided that we're going to take a cruise this Jan./Feb. with our two little ones (ages 10 months and 2-1/2 at time of cruising). We are going to take advantage of the VTG. We would like some advice from experienced cruisers!!!

The Dream is 1700 with a balconey.
The Fantasty is Eastern cruise and is 3000 with a balconey.

That's a 1300 difference and we're wondering if it's "worth" it I guess with our kids being so young. We're wondering if we should do the Dream and then a few days at Sea World, etc.; however, we also like the thought of just relaxing on the ship for a few extra days as well.

I should mention, our air is paid for (have enough miles) so we don't have that expense.

ANY and ALL advice is appreciated!!!

Thanks!
Always go for the longer cruise! Just saying .

Our first was a 3 day on The Wonder and I so wish it had been longer!
2005 August - Surprise Trip for kids!! CSR; 2006 August - Surprise Trip for kids at CSR again!! 2007 August - 3 nite Wonder & AKL FD 3peat!!
2007 December 8 - 7nite Eastern on the Magic! 2008 August 17 DCL Magic EB Panama Canal; March 2011 WDW trip with friends. 2012 Aug 25 DCL Bahamas Magic from NYC;2012 Sept 12 DCL Canadian Magic;2013 Aug AKL Kidani;2013 Aug DCL Fantasy

I am Poohtiful and Poohlicious!!!! Have you had your Spanx today???
JoiseyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
SailingScout
Earning My Ears

Our first cruise was in April on the Dream (4 nights). My DH was pushing for a longer cruise, but I wanted to err on the side of caution in case one of us got sick and wanted to get off ASAP. We took our DS who was 7 months at the time and had a great time. We both agreed we had just gotten into the groove when it was time to get off the ship. We are going on the Fantasy in a month and even that will be too short for me! Ironically, my DH who wanted the longer cruise did end up feeling queasy and wasn't really bit by the cruise bug like I was. However, we both loved the nursery and family-friendly vibe of DCL. Until our son is older we feel it is the best vacation for us.
SailingScout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
deidre
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
That's not really a good comparison. The Dream cruise is going to be 3 or 4 nights. The Fantasy cruise is 7 nights. So comparing the difference in cost isn't really valid.

Is your 2 1/2 year old potty trained? If not, you will be paying nursery fees for both children - assuming you want some adult time, though you may certainly choose not to use the nursery.

Otherwise, I'd think about what you want to do. Do you want 7 nights on the ship (definitely by choice!). We did a 4-night and decided that we definitely prefer longer. But our DD is school-age and you have little ones.

The 2 cruises will have different itineraries - ports of call. Are there any in particular that catch your eye? Any port adventures you'd particularly like to do? That might help you decide. Castaway Cay is the only port both cruises will stop at.

Good luck in your decision and enjoy your cruise!
Yes, he is potty trained. I figured we would have to pay nursery fees for both kids anyway whether potty trained or not. Since he's potty trained, does this mean I won't have to pay anything?
deidre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:38 PM   #7
kcashner
DIS Veteran

2 and potty trained are usually allowed to participate in the OC, which means no nursery fees. You won't be able to register him there till you are on the ship; they'll interview you and probably do a trial run before giving the OK for the rest of the cruise. On DCL, trained means they can handle all clothing and hand washing on their own in a child sized setting.

Another vote for longer is better. That $1300 would likely be spent on hotels, meals, tickets, etc. if you did Sea World, WDW, or whatever for the additional 3-4 days. And you would need transportation for that time (rental car?) You can't really compare prices on a 3 or 4 night vs. 7 night unless you do a "per night" comparison. But more time on the ship is always best in my mind.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #8
Niebz
DIS Veteran

Go for the Fantasy, no question. Our shortest cruise was 4 days on the Wonder - felt way too short to see and do everything. We then did a 5 day on the Dream and while the Castaway Cay double dip was nice a longer cruise would have been even better. Next we're doing the Fantasy and I think it will be very hard to go back to the shorter cruises after that. I'd rather spend those extra vacation days on the Fantasy than at Sea World. There are a lot of great perks of the longer cruises too - more sea days, lobster night, captain's reception, formal night, more menus to try, second show in Animator's Palate, more water features on the Fantasy than the Dream plus way more time to see and do it all.
Niebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:12 PM   #9
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

We have done the Dream and the Fantasy. The Fantasy has several advantages:

1. Longer trip, so you don't have to cram everything into 2 or 3 days. (3 nights really equals about 2 days).

2. Disney discovered flow issues for the staff on the Dream. Getting from one place to another with the behind the scenes hallways was very tough. They fixed a lot of that with the Fantasy. You don't see the difference, but you experience it with happier servers and a smoother flow to the overall operation of the ship.

3. Not important for your kids, but the teen area on the Fantasy is unbelievably nice. Better than any other DCL ship.

4. The adults only pools are better on the Fantasy. More areas to sit, like at Satellite Falls.

5. I am partial to O'Gill's Pub on the Fantasy, but that's just me.

I will undoubtedly travel on the Dream again someday, when a last minute super deal happens to match my schedule. If I am planning a vacation and have the time, no doubt I shall choose the Fantasy.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:19 PM   #10
NancyIL
DIS Veteran

After three 4-night Disney Bahamas cruises (2 on the Wonder and 1 on the Dream), I just returned from a 7-night Fantasy cruise. It was definitely the best of my four Disney cruises.
NancyIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

We've done 8 cruises with DCL, four "7 day" & four "4 day" and have enjoyed them all. Our 1st 2 cruises were the 7 day, Eastern & Western. We've found that the 7 day cruises are more restful & laid back. The 4 day cruises just go by to quickly.
Bottom line if the $$$s are not the primary issue, we'd go for the longer cruise, with a few days at WDW.
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:04 PM   #12
woody73
Enjoyed the Pumpkinmen
Never liked the idea of using a snorkel after someone else

Quote:
Originally Posted by deidre View Post

. . . The Dream is 1700 with a balconey.

. . . The Fantasty is Eastern cruise and is 3000 with a balconey.

. . . That's a 1300 difference and we're wondering if it's "worth" it
When comparing the price of cruises of different lengths, I check the "cost per person per night" for a fair comparison. That will give you an objective cost comparison (in other words, it will tell you the price per person per night).

Whether it is "worth" it is subjective, and is a personal choice. Personally, I like longer cruises.

Woody
woody73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 PM   #13
lbgraves
Little Cinderella's Mommy
The bad news is...they are driving me nuts!!!

That is one of the easiest questions I have seen. The Fantasy of course! Being able to stay put for 7-nights will be much easier than doing a 3/4-night and transferring to a resort with transportation issues to the parks.

Magic: E 11/15/2003, W 12/4/2004, E 12/10/2005, W 12/9/2006, EBPC 8/2008, W 1/8/2011
Wonder: 3N 1/11/2010, Alaska 7/26/11
Fantasy: MV 3/31/2012, E 3/23/2013

DCL 2015 Opening Day Pricing Thread #2 April - August
Past Opening Day Pricing Threads
lbgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:27 PM   #14
Im_A_Princess
PLATINUM - Woo Hoo!

Location: Maryland ~893.52 miles from my FL home in Port Canaveral

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbgraves View Post
That is one of the easiest questions I have seen. The Fantasy of course! Being able to stay put for 7-nights will be much easier than doing a 3/4-night and transferring to a resort with transportation issues to the parks.
Totally agree!!!!

-Chrissy 116 days onboard DCL and counting...)
Im_A_Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:59 PM   #15
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

We have only ever cruised for 7 days before now. We are doing the dream as this is the first time we are taking the kids and we want to ease ourselves into family vacationing. Also it's during the school year and one of my kids are at a standardized testing year.
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: