Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 PM   #91
Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF DISNEY LOVER
Mom to 2 beautiful young ladies
SIGNS TO OLDIES ON THE RADIO

This happened to me at Magic Kingdom. When I arrived the area for the sign language was completely filled with people. While a few people did move most remained there. It was the fault of the CMs as they did not put up the proper signage when the ropes were set up.

Talking Hands
|,,|/ DEAF Disney Lover
Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #92
lilmissdisney216
Pawsitively Lovin a Labrador!

I took a previous trip to WDW back in 2011 and was requiring a GAC. I have Epstein Barr Syndrome, heart murmur, knee problems, and a permanent back injury that gets aggrivated by long periods of standing at times. We didn't use the GAC all the time, just the times that I needed it the most. It was hurtful sometimes to hear people say some pretty rude things when I showed my GAC but I couldn't have been more thankful for it. I was asked some questions at MK when I got mine there and I'm really glad they asked. I too have a new outlook on those with disabilities.

Planning another trip to WDW this fall and it will be the first "tons of walking trip" since a minor foot operation last year that landed me with a titanium pin tacking down a tendon. Foot is not going to be 100% again and is sometimes rather painful and I have to be in a wheelchair occasionally but I wanna do this trip!

Happy travels and magical trips to those leaving soon for their vacations!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-16-2013, 03:32 PM   #93
ladyknight1
Earning My Ears

Apparently, it is up to the individual Cast Member's discretion.

I had one negative experience at Epcot, with the CM telling me that I could only have a GAC specifying a wheelchair during the wait (not a good option for me due to back issues), and then telling me there were no managers available when I requested to speak to one. The CM would only give me the GAC for one day, even though I have a premium annual pass and would be at another park within the week.
A week later, at Hollywood Studios, the CM was so helpful and went above and beyond, writing the GAC for two months and the maximum amount of persons, even though I only had two people with me.

Dinner at Be our Guest to celebrate my birthday 1/26- Done and it was amazing!
Dessert Party 2/22
Boma for breakfast 8/5
Citrico's for our 16th anniversary dinner - 10/4

Old 04-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #94
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night

We tried to use the GAC for the Town Square Theatre princess M&G and was told we needed a Fasspass for it and the Mickey M&G. I guess it depends.

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015

Old 04-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #95
Piper
DIS Veteran

GACs aren't good for meet and greets.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:21 PM   #96
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

Meet & greets never officially had accomodations for GACs but at one time CMs would allow for waiting elsewhere at the permanent M&G locations. It's been quite a while though. I don't think it was ever official policy to do it (quite the opposite actually) so no change to official policy but it is a change to what many of us experienced. Of course the former accomodations also predated FPs for characters so at least now we can get consistent results by grabbing FPs.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Old 04-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #97
Vidia2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by clanmcculloch View Post
Meet & greets never officially had accomodations for GACs but at one time CMs would allow for waiting elsewhere at the permanent M&G locations. It's been quite a while though. I don't think it was ever official policy to do it (quite the opposite actually) so no change to official policy but it is a change to what many of us experienced. Of course the former accomodations also predated FPs for characters so at least now we can get consistent results by grabbing FPs.
We've only used our GACs for meet and greets in the old Toontown location and only when the line was really long. I don't know what the policy is but the CMs are lovely people who will accommodate you if they see a need (except for Fantasmic!). This isn't special treatment, it's accommodation and they know that. We've been standing in long lines before to see characters and have actually been pulled out by CMs and taken up to be next in line. We've also, on the cruise ships, been invited to special character meet and greets for kids with similar issues and there are no GACs on the ships. Also, in the parks, you can ask to wait separately at M&Gs, and many times they'll pull you aside and then send you to the character after a couple of families have gone and they ones in line can see that you aren't cutting, you have a legitimate need.

We do our part and wait in line as much as is possible for our son. If they've made the M&Gs more restrictive for autistic kids....well, I can't imagine that. Unlike a very few others who haven't been exposed to autistic kids, Disney knows that there may be incidents in long lines that they'd rather not have happen that are NOT bad behavior, but are actually because of the disability.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:50 AM   #98
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

I respectfully disagree that this is an accomodation vs special treatment. I have an autistic child which is why my family goes to get a GAC so it's not a matter of not understanding what it's like to have an autistic child. We're limited in how many hours we can be away from our resort each day and we can only leave our resort 2 days in a row before we have to take a full break day at our resort. I know what it's like to not be able to do as much as others and I know what it's like to have to skip attractions because of my child's needs. That doesn't mean that I think that we should go ahead of others. It's just life with an autistic child. The accomodations that we do get do make a difference and there are attractions we couldn't go to without the accomodations but we actually accomplish a lot more using a good touring plan than we do with our GAC. You mention that you only use your GAC when there's a long line but we don't encouter long lines because of our touring plan.

Using the GAC in Toontown in the past was so inconsistent. There were times that yes we went in quickly but there were other times where our wait was longer than the posted wait time. Now with FPs for characters we know exactly what to expect which is wonderful. Last summer my kids wanted to see the princesses so while DH was checking us in for our lunch ADR I ran and got FPs. Once lunch was over it was the FP time and we went to see them. There were only maybe 4 families ahead of us so it was a short wait. Generally if we'll be wanting to see characters during a trip I'll book character meals and/or fit it in our touring plans where there won't be waits.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: