Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 12:17 AM   #46
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Oh Smidgy I didn't mean you! I agree with your story! I meant anecdotal evidence with the gac/character thing. I think reading your post put that word in my head but now I can see that it might have looked like a reference to your post. Whoops!
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 01-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #47
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockShockBarrel View Post
Oh Smidgy I didn't mean you! I agree with your story! I meant anecdotal evidence with the gac/character thing. I think reading your post put that word in my head but now I can see that it might have looked like a reference to your post. Whoops!
oops! I have made SO many friends through the "dis", and then again there have been so many misunderstandings.. it's so hard to figure out sometimes what people are referring to .

I just like to assume that I like most people, so ,most people like me.. and even if we disagree, I still like them

(my favorite person in the world, my sister, and I disagree about almost everything!!! rats)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-03-2013, 01:09 AM   #48
smidgy
dimples

Quote:
so , in other words...... kiss hug.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #49
bedogged
Choose parents that aged well

Quote:
I don't get why people always feel the need to come and contradict things like this. I'm not trying to single anyone out but please!! the GAC is NOT intended for character meets!!! Just because you've seen it happen doesn't mean it was supposed to or will always happen!! It's not fair for those people who come to these boards with questions to lead them on saying "we've see it!"
I'm glad that the information about Character Spot in Epcot was mentioned because I have experienced this as well. I think it may be a common occurrence there rather than an isolated incident. I wear my GAC around my neck in a pouch which is visible. Without any attempt on my part to use the GAC, my party was taken out of line there with apologies for making us wait. I was very surprised as I was aware of the not intended for character meets rule. The line that day was very short if that makes any difference?
Old 01-03-2013, 11:33 AM   #50
infopurposesonly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't get why people always feel the need to come and contradict things like this. I'm not trying to single anyone out but please!! the GAC is NOT intended for character meets!!! Just because you've seen it happen doesn't mean it was supposed to or will always happen!! It's not fair for those people who come to these boards with questions to lead them on saying "we've see it!"
People post their experiences. I don't think it's "leading people on" to say that sometimes the CM's will do something in a way that is not stated on the GAC. For us, it's been more than half the time with character greetings, but we don't expect it. I always warn my daughter beforehand that there may be a long wait, and I leave it to her to decide if she's physically up to waiting.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #51
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

My issue is in the phrasing. Someone who is asking about gacs will bring it up, they're told the correct answer and then someone will chime in and say "no it happens." I think it's great when it does happen, I wish they could come up with a way to make it a "real" accommodation.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 01-03-2013, 05:05 PM   #52
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Typically, we are at a park once a week. We don't go on attractions often. Mostly we are there to eat a meal and walk around. My son really loves playing Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom at Epcot and the Agent P game at Epcot. He also loves to visit with the characters.

What SueMN and LockShockBarrel are saying about experiences varrying is so true. One time we may be sent to one entrance and the next time another. One time we might be taken right away and another time our wait might be longer than the stand-by wait. We've found it best to ask at attraction or M&G entrances and the cm will direct you. Be flexible and realize that things can change day to day or even moment to moment.

My son is very resistent to change and if something changes he will instantly say something about going another way last time. Often the cm will explain to him why we are doing it this way now and why we did it that way before.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:23 PM   #53
dawnball
bouncie bouncie...
You don't want the camels to spit on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedogged View Post
I'm glad that the information about Character Spot in Epcot was mentioned because I have experienced this as well.
IME, indoor meet and greets have worked this way for some time. Character spot, the old judge's tent, the new indoor options at the front of MK. Everyone has always been very gracious about offering us a place to wait that worked for our family when we asked. As always, sometimes the waits are shorter, and sometimes they're longer

At the outdoor character greetings (which is the vast majority of greeting options), they don't really have enough staff and infrastructure to handle an alternate entrance effectively. However, the lines are "easier", too. They're less hemmed in, and you can join a line right before the greeting, so if your group is large enough, you can sort of make your own alternate entrance.

I was once told by guest relations that indoor meet and greets are considered attractions, and are officially covered by the GAC (and that outdoor character greetings were explicitly not), but that was a few years ago.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
Reddy
Scrapbooker

[QUOTE=dawnball;47072396]IME, indoor meet and greets have worked this way for some time. Character spot, the old judge's tent, the new indoor options at the front of MK. Everyone has always been very gracious about offering us a place to wait that worked for our family when we asked. As always, sometimes the waits are shorter, and sometimes they're longer

At the outdoor character greetings (which is the vast majority of greeting options), they don't really have enough staff and infrastructure to handle an alternate entrance effectively. However, the lines are "easier", too. They're less hemmed in, and you can join a line right before the greeting, so if your group is large enough, you can sort of make your own alternate entrance.

I was once told by guest relations that indoor meet and greets are considered attractions, and are officially covered by the GAC (and that outdoor character greetings were explicitly not), but that was a few years ago.[/QUOTE]

I was told this too - a few times I waited in line then someone else goes to the end of the line & they get to meet - even when I asked about it, love the look the CM gave me after that happen - actually tried to move me up next

OK not Disney but at 6 flags this past year, I was waiting for our turn & another lady came up & demanded that her & her son get on now that they are not suppose to wait at all - there was us, someone in a wheelchair already in line - I actually said aren't we next?? the lady popped off that her child was disable, which of course set my oldest boy off (he is wearing an austic tshirt) so then she backs off -- why do people not understand that they can only have one special needs on the ride at the time & you have to wait your turn
Old 01-04-2013, 12:54 PM   #55
IndianaPrincess
Mouseketeer

I told people what my family experienced. That is not anecdotal. For heavens sake, I was asked to show our GAC card. It may have been the CM or it could be the policy, I am not claiming one or the other. I was telling you all what happened to us.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #56
KPeveler

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaPrincess View Post
I told people what my family experienced. That is not anecdotal. For heavens sake, I was asked to show our GAC card. It may have been the CM or it could be the policy, I am not claiming one or the other. I was telling you all what happened to us.
Technically, that is what anecdotal means, you telling us about it. As opposed to us seeing or experiencing it for ourselves.

Those of us on the boards for a while have learned to be careful about those disclaimers, as we have had people take one post they read and decided that is what the GAC would be for them. Then they come back angry or disappointed.

Also, by not posting names of stamps or what it does in certain situations helps cut down on the abuse of the system.

"Its kind of fun to do the impossible" ~Walt Disney

Married in Disney World 10/26/2009!
Old 01-07-2013, 08:02 PM   #57
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

My son got his new GAC the other day at AK. Nothing has changed for him. He was given 2 months expiration because of his PAP. He used it twice that day. For Bugs Life they said there was no alternate line and that he'd need to show his GAC for the medical stroller. The person taking strollers did ask to see his GAC.

Someone earlier in the thread was concerned about their son answering questions. My son was not directly asked anything about the GAC. On Maharaja Jungle Trek several cm came up to him and explained to him about the animals when they saw his interest.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #58
Jperiod
Princesses Gone Wild

Anyone know of changes for DLR GAC's?

We went the 3rd week of Dec and it was the same as always. But my son's habilitation worker has some friends that work for DLR and said they heard there were changes being made where you have to show proof. We're going back in Feb, but I don't want to haul my son's 19 page evaluation report in the park if I don't have too!

I always heard they couldn't ask for proof because of hippa laws, not that I would personally mind though. The crowds were INSANE and it wasn't even Christmas week! We will never go that late in December again. The alternate entrances were hours long!

DLR in 1/97, 8/98, 12/98, 12/99, 12/00, 12/02, 12/03, 12/04, 12/05, 10/07, 12/07, 5/08, 12/08, 5/09, 12/09, 5/10, and 12/10.
WDW in 12/11 to satisfy our curiousity.
Back to DLR in 12/12, 2/13 (VGC ), 7/13 (2 day trips), 10/13, 12/13, and 12/14!
Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 AM   #59
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

They can't ask for proof according to ADA laws. The person who gave that information was wrong.
Old 01-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #60
LisaBi
DIS Veteran

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. We just got home last night. When I walked into City Hall at MK (with DS and wheelchair), a CM approached us and asked how he could help. I said that I needed to get a new GAC, he pointed to DS and asked "For this young man?", then he went behind the counter and to the back without any further conversation. He came back with a GAC with one stamp. I then showed him the old GAC (two stamps - the other one is hearing related), so he went back, added it, filled out the rest of info, and we were on our way. He never asked or gave me a chance to explain our needs - made it very easy.

One other thing that really helped this trip is that the procedures were very consistent through out the trip - much more so than in the past. For DS that is very good...repetition is king. We only do a small handful of attractions, but do them over and over again.

So as far as changes...the only thing I noticed as a "change" was more consistency in how the GAC was applied. And that was a good thing. Whether that was a true change or just coincidence, I don't know.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: