Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 12-22-2012, 03:56 PM   #16
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney View Post
Anything is possible. They did have the same card we did although I have no idea what was on it. I won't even try to use it for Characters, we don't need to. We were only one family behind them, so we saw them taking all their pictures and didn't see any Make a Wish button (we did see another Make a Wish family later and they did have one on). One of the children had Down's Syndrome. We didn't care, we only waited a few more minutes, I'm just saying that on rare occasions they do allow it. We were right up close when they approached the entrance and CM, and for what it is worth, I would not have told the woman no either so perhaps it was just a judgment call the CM made.
They use the same card for MAW trips.
They just have different stamps and they issue them at Give Kids the World Village or at president soon for those not stating there

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-22-2012, 08:56 PM   #17
nyrebecca
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SueM in MN View Post
They also asked us who it was for (while the name was facing away from us) and then asked which of us was that person.
I noticed when we were there in November they were doing the same thing with us. It was just my son, my mother and I and it was clear he was the only boy in the group so they would turn to him and ask him his name. One CM made a face when he didn't answer, so I asked him what his name was and he answered his full name just fine. She looked like she was about to say something so I just politely said he had Autism and does not always answer when people ask him things. She seemed fine after that.

We have absolutely no problem with them checking, and I actually think it helps Jared with some social skills and having to have interaction with strangers.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-23-2012, 05:44 AM   #18
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrebecca View Post
I noticed when we were there in November they were doing the same thing with us. It was just my son, my mother and I and it was clear he was the only boy in the group so they would turn to him and ask him his name. One CM made a face when he didn't answer, so I asked him what his name was and he answered his full name just fine. She looked like she was about to say something so I just politely said he had Autism and does not always answer when people ask him things. She seemed fine after that.

We have absolutely no problem with them checking, and I actually think it helps Jared with some social skills and having to have interaction with strangers.
I think it's good they ask.
Making my DD answer would cause some problems though because she does not speak.
She understands quite well, but can't talk.

Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 12-23-2012, 03:28 PM   #19
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I like that they ask. It keeps the CMs in the habit of following through rather than them getting complacent and just letting people in.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 12-23-2012, 09:27 PM   #20
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Just another voice to say that things havent changed. We were there, Sept, Oct, and Dec, and had no differences at all. I did notice that this year the CM's seem to really be looking at the GAC and checking the dates and names. And like you have all said, I absolutely dont mind. DS pipes up and says "I am Steven and I have Aspergers" the CM's alway smile and it makes him feel so good. It is amazing how much that one little piece of paper makes him feel so empowered

My Trip Reports:
Special Needs, Special Diets...No Problem (hopefully)!
A Year Is Way Too Long To Wait! We Just Keep Booking Trips!
Walt Disney World with Some Tasty New Finds

Follow Me at Blogger, Twitter, Pinterest
Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 AM   #21
clanmcculloch
DIS Veteran

We've always had numerous CMs ask who <name on GAC> is when we show it at attractions though it definitely wasn't anywhere near every time. I'm glad to hear that more are asking. It always surprised me that we weren't asked more often as it makes a lot of sense. Of course DD14 is very verbal and social and really enjoys talking with the CMs. If she's in a mode where she's not responsive to CMs then that's a major red flag that she's heading for a meltdown and we get out of the parks really quickly so she can decompress back at our resort.

We haven't really seen changes in GACs. What I've observed is that the CMs at Guest Relations are really stressing more that the GAC will not shorten wait times. It's always been this way but I'm noticing that CMs are really stressing this while they didn't used to point it out. It does also seem like we're encountering more grumpy CMs when using our GAC which is strange to me. We don't use it as often as we used to and we didn't use to encounter CMs who seem put out by us using it while now we do. They haven't actually changed how the GAC is handled but I'm encountering more eye rolls and sighs and specifically at Monster's Inc Laugh Floor, more arguements. We didn't use to encounter this kind of stuff. It doesn't happen often at all, but since it didn't use to happen at all, encountering it at all is an increase, especially since as I said we use the GAC less than we use to.

Multi-Allergy & Autism Dining Reviews: February 2014 * DL & LA July 2013 * February 2013 * August 2012 * February 2012 * August 2011 * August 2010

February 2014 AKL: me, DH, DD15, DD13 * July 2013 DL offsite (Tropicana): me, DH, DD15, DD12, DSD30, DSSil * February 2013 WDW Poly: me, DH, DD14, DD12
August 2012 WDW FW Cabin & AoA Nemo: me, DH, DD14, DD12, DD12's BFF11 * February 2012 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD14, DD11 * August 2011 WDW YC: me, DH, DD13, DD11
February 2011 WDW Poly CL: me, DH, DD13, DD10, DSD28, DSSil * August 2010 WDW POFQ & Poly CL: me, DH, DD12, DD10 * June 2010 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD12, DD9
December 2009 WDW POFQ: me, DH, DD11, DD9 * February 2009 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD11, DD8 * August 2008 WDW SSR: me, DH, DSD25, DSD24, DD10, DD8
September 2007 WDW Pop: me, DH, DD9, DD7 * April 2002 DLR offsite: me, DH, DSD19, DSD17, DD4, DD1.5 * June 2000 DLR offsite: me(pregnant), DH, DSD17, DSD15, DD2
January 1994 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD11, DSD9 * January 1992 WDW offsite: me, DH, DSD9, DSD7

Last edited by clanmcculloch; 12-26-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:39 PM   #22
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

I could imagine being a CM and being fed up with the whole thing really. When people have an issue with a system they usually attack the lowest rung of the ladder first. A park level guest relations or ride operations CM has no control over how the GAC program works but they're the ones that have to hear day in and day out how they're handling it wrong, or "this doesn't work for me so you have to fix it now and do it on bent knee" or what issue happens to crop up whether it actually is an issue or not.
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
Old 12-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #23
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Just another voice to say that things havent changed. We were there, Sept, Oct, and Dec, and had no differences at all. I did notice that this year the CM's seem to really be looking at the GAC and checking the dates and names. And like you have all said, I absolutely dont mind. DS pipes up and says "I am Steven and I have Aspergers" the CM's alway smile and it makes him feel so good. It is amazing how much that one little piece of paper makes him feel so empowered
babyberger, are you Loretta?!
Old 12-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #24
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink

babyberger, are you Loretta?!
Nope, not Loretta.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

My Trip Reports:

Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 AM   #25
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyberger View Post
Nope, not Loretta.

For a fleeting moment I thought maybe we met you at Disney.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:51 PM   #26
babyberger
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethattink

For a fleeting moment I thought maybe we met you at Disney.
No worries, we are all part of the DIS family

My Trip Reports:

Old 12-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #27
heyitsmejosh
DIS Veteran

well i did notice one change, normally i have to go back every 2 or 3 months to get one with my annual pass but this last time they extended it out 12 months.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #28
lovethattink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyitsmejosh View Post
well i did notice one change, normally i have to go back every 2 or 3 months to get one with my annual pass but this last time they extended it out 12 months.
That's a nice change!
Old 12-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #29
WantToGoNow
DIS Veteran

My dd28 and her friend who is 25 went to Disney for 3 days the week after Thanksgiving. My dd uses a GAC and the friend rented an ECV. Both girls have heart conditions and they knew that neither could walk all day. The friend has been on medical leave from work for over a year. My dd will be having a cardiac ablation and ICD on January 10 - hopefully this helps 1 of the 3 conditions she has. So they shared the ECV with whoever needing it the most riding - they honestly both needed one all the time and my dd said that she knows that she will have to have one from now on when she goes to WDW.

Anyway the day they arrived they went to Epcot. The very first attraction they went to was SE - the cast member told the friend to stop being lazy and walk like everyone else (this was reported to guest services). The friend started crying. Nice way to start her very first vacation ever - not just Disney but anywhere. Yes she's 25 years old and she physically looks healthy. It's bad enough that other guests make rude comments but CM's.

My dd commented that the procedure for a couple of rides differed using the GAC (same stamp) since we went October 2011 but that could be because of the ECV and not specifically the GAC.
Old 12-31-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
SueM in MN

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantToGoNow View Post
My dd28 and her friend who is 25 went to Disney for 3 days the week after Thanksgiving. My dd uses a GAC and the friend rented an ECV. Both girls have heart conditions and they knew that neither could walk all day. The friend has been on medical leave from work for over a year. My dd will be having a cardiac ablation and ICD on January 10 - hopefully this helps 1 of the 3 conditions she has. So they shared the ECV with whoever needing it the most riding - they honestly both needed one all the time and my dd said that she knows that she will have to have one from now on when she goes to WDW.

Anyway the day they arrived they went to Epcot. The very first attraction they went to was SE - the cast member told the friend to stop being lazy and walk like everyone else (this was reported to guest services). The friend started crying. Nice way to start her very first vacation ever - not just Disney but anywhere. Yes she's 25 years old and she physically looks healthy. It's bad enough that other guests make rude comments but CM's.

My dd commented that the procedure for a couple of rides differed using the GAC (same stamp) since we went October 2011 but that could be because of the ECV and not specifically the GAC.
Sorry they were treated like that. There should been no questions about need once the GAC has been issued.

Your last comment brings up one of the other things that make people think GACs have changed -not all attractions have the same accommodations.
So, someone with the same GAC might get treated differently at different attractions.

Also, even the same person using the same GAC at the same attraction on the same day may be handled differently at a different time because conditions are different (staffing, number of people waiting).

When these things happen, people often think there are changes to the GAC when it's really just changing conditions (there are no guarantees that the GAC will be always handled the same).

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: