Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Canadian Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 12:15 PM   #1
shaynar
Mouseketeer

Is there a GOOD day to go to the passport office?

I need to get passports for my kids. I know it's going to be hell no matter what day I go, I am just curious if there are some days that are worse than others (eg is monday the worst?)

PS I'm going to the main office in Toronto on Yonge and Sheppard.

Too many than I can remember.....
Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL, 1/2014 @ VWL !!!! Coming up, 1/2015 @ Jambo House!
shaynar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

Just a sec--you may want to look at the Passport Canada website at: http://www.ppt.gc.ca for current information.

Passport Canada and Service Canada have changed how they do things--you are better off to go directly to the Passport Canada office at 74 Victoria St., Suite #300 (open Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) because you can present your original documents and get them returned to you from that office. If you go to a Service Canada office that does passports, as I understand it--Service Canada can only mail you your original documents (birth certificates, etc.).

Can't help with how busy the Toronto office is--but we recently renewed our passports, and were very pleased with the efficiency of the Ottawa Passport Canada office. We had all our forms, photos, etc. completed and were in and out in less than 30 min.

Last edited by Gigi22; 12-19-2012 at 04:01 PM. Reason: More info.
Gigi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 04:38 PM   #3
shaynar
Mouseketeer

Thank Gigi. The one I'm going to is a passport office, not a service ontario location.
I'll just go early in the morning and hope for the best!!! Thanks!

Latest: 09/2008 Honeymoon @ Poly, 10/2010 First "family trip" @ WL, 01/2012 Bringing Baby #2 @ Kidani, 01/2013 @ BCV/VWL, 1/2014 @ VWL !!!! Coming up, 1/2015 @ Jambo House!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:14 PM   #4
Gigi22
DIS Veteran

OK! Just a suggestion, because we nearly made the mistake of going to the Passport Canada office that we have always gone to and it turned out that Passport Canada had relocated their main office in Ottawa, be sure you check that there is still an office at the location you mentioned. I did a quick check online, and I didn't see one at Yonge and Sheppard.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
shaynar
Mouseketeer

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/service/offices...=ON&chkPPTC=on

Still there as far as I see it....

Old 12-19-2012, 09:01 PM   #6
erynsmom
Mouseketeer

my experience

I took ours to a Service Canada location and got all original plus our old passports back with the new ones. If you check the box on the form they should be returned. The child form doesn't have a box but the rep that helped me wrote a note on the form they send with the application.

Hope this helps.
Cheryl

BTW I went to the office in Oakville and was in and out in less than 10 minutes.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #7
YukiPhnx
The Minnie to my Mickey

My family has always renewed our passports in the location next to Scarborough Town Centre and have never had any problems with it.

I would recommend that location because we didn't wait more than 20mins and they provide seats for you to wait in while they call your number. I've never been to the Yonge and Sheppard location for passports.

An even better location is the one in Whitby. Small town offices have much smaller crowds and will sometimes have better service. My dad recently renewed his passport there with no trouble.
YukiPhnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:02 PM   #8
braddillman
Mouseketeer

I don't know Toronto very well, but I agree with other posters to try the less popular offices. Everyone goes to the passport office in Halifax which is busy, but you could go to the service canada office in Bedford which is much less busy (and free parking is available). Check the web, call ahead, etc. you'll have a much better time.
Nov 1999 - Wyndham on I-drive - MK... Oct 2001 - The Fountains - USF/IoA... Sep 2005 - The Fountains - USF/IoA... Apr 2008 - The Fountains - WDW... Feb 2011 - The Fountains - USF/IoA/SW/Aquatica... Dec 2013 - The Fountains - USF/IoA/EPCoT (1st drive)
me DW DD15 DD12 DS 11
braddillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
networktek
it all started with a mouse

if you fill it out online and print it out you go in a different line on the victoria st location but if you are going to be there first thing in the morning get there for 7:00 am about an hour before they open

networktek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:19 PM   #10
sportel
Earning My Ears

Depending on your travel dates, you can also submit your paperwork by mail. We've done them twice now by mail and the turnaround time has been within a few weeks. I was nervous about sending the kids original birth certificates in the mail, but there were no problems.

sportel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:47 PM   #11
bdoyledimou
Pop Road Warrior -Travelling they way they did in the 60's

Scarborogh Town center is awesome on a Tuesday morning. not busy at all -- seems a lot of people go on Monday and weds though.
14th Trip with our Foster Kids!
bdoyledimou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 01:44 AM   #12
sk8jdgca
Mouseketeer

Just make sure you fill in the forms on line and print them so they have the bar code on them- I did that walked into a crowded office-went to the special line for those who printed off the forms and was called in less than 2 minutes

2011-POFQ
2010- ALK
2009-Windsor Hills
2007-ASMu
2005-off site somewhere
My QSDP report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2551446
sk8jdgca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #13
jtdl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportel View Post
Depending on your travel dates, you can also submit your paperwork by mail. We've done them twice now by mail and the turnaround time has been within a few weeks. I was nervous about sending the kids original birth certificates in the mail, but there were no problems.
Yes, I sent our renewals in on Dec 6 (took to our local MPs office and they check them over and courier them) and received them back Dec 24 - so just over 2 weeks. Sure beats sitting in the passport office for a couple of hours.
Feb 2005 - Pop Century
Nov 1998 - off site
Oct 1995 - ASMu

jtdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
abdmom
DIS Veteran

I was at the Yonge-Sheppard passport office both today (a Monday) and last Friday. On Friday, we arrived about 3:30-3:45 in the afternoon and were out by 4:30. That was with 3 passports to process. Today, Monday, we arrived about 11:00 am, stood in line for quite a while to be pre-screened (mayber 45-60 minutes) and then had to wait another 45-60 minutes for our number to be called. It took over 2 hours for one passport. They estimated we would receive the passports in 2 weeks.
abdmom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #15
HunterBoo
Earning My Ears

We went to the Whitby office twice (once in February) and once in the summer to get hubby's done. First time spent about a total of 30 mins to get in and get out. Second time was maybe 15 minutes max. Thought this was great!! I filled information out online before we went so they just had to scan the barcodes too.
I will drive down there rather than ship them out through our MPs office. Worth it in my opinion
Good luck!

me dh dd(12) dd(9)
HunterBoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: