Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #1
KuyaJeff
Mouseketeer

Unhappy A Stressful Package Reservation Dilemma

We're finding ourselves in a situation where funds for our trip have unexpectedly been delayed.... I'm starting to really stress out.

Plans could possibly change because we might not be able to make our 45 deadline...maybe even the 30 day one I hear where they just cancel it automatically, but there is also a posisbility of funds coming later. In either case, we have had a back-up date for such a situation.

So my question is:

Is it possible(dare I say it, "kosher") to change a reservation, past the 45 day payment deadline, to a later date if we think we are going to be late...even just by a few days?

...then when the funds arrive change it back and pay it all at once?

My logic is that we still manage to maintain the promo code we have for the original dates that are still valid for the second date. I don't want to lose the entire $200 deposit and figure making two changes will be a smaller loss than risking the loss of a promo code and not getting the refunds in time to make another reservation after that 30 day mark.

Will Disney work with me, even beyond that 30 day mark? I'm already embarassed to admit that we might not make the 45 day mark.

Oh, and this is the timeline we have/had:
45-Days: December 10, 2013
30 Days: December 25, 2013
Promo Ends: December 31, 2013
Package Dates Booked: Janaury 24-31, 2013

Thanks in advance for any clarification, advice and feedback on this tricky situation.
KuyaJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuyaJeff View Post
We're finding ourselves in a situation where funds for our trip have unexpectedly been delayed.... I'm starting to really stress out.

Plans could possibly change because we might not be able to make our 45 deadline...maybe even the 30 day one I hear where they just cancel it automatically, but there is also a posisbility of funds coming later. In either case, we have had a back-up date for such a situation.

So my question is:

Is it possible(dare I say it, "kosher") to change a reservation, past the 45 day payment deadline, to a later date if we think we are going to be late...even just by a few days?

...then when the funds arrive change it back and pay it all at once?

My logic is that we still manage to maintain the promo code we have for the original dates that are still valid for the second date. I don't want to lose the entire $200 deposit and figure making two changes will be a smaller loss than risking the loss of a promo code and not getting the refunds in time to make another reservation after that 30 day mark.

Will Disney work with me, even beyond that 30 day mark? I'm already embarassed to admit that we might not make the 45 day mark.

Oh, and this is the timeline we have/had:
45-Days: December 10, 2013
30 Days: December 25, 2013
Promo Ends: December 31, 2013
Package Dates Booked: Janaury 24-31, 2013

Thanks in advance for any clarification, advice and feedback on this tricky situation.
How many days tickets did you buy with your package? If you bought more than the minimum for the package, you could cut back to reduce your balance and then upgrade when you get there.
Register to remove

Old 12-19-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
momof2gr8kids
DIS Veteran

There's no guarantee your original dates / resort/ room type will still be available when you go to change it back.

As the above poster stated, you can change your tickets to the min. days required for the package and upgrade later once your funds come in.

Was your promo code for a package? Or a room only and you added on to make a package? If it was for a room only you could change it back to room only and add on the tickets, etc. later once you have the $$.

Dec 2010 Pop Century
Feb 2013 POR Riverside
momof2gr8kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
KuyaJeff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebbieB View Post
How many days tickets did you buy with your package? If you bought more than the minimum for the package, you could cut back to reduce your balance and then upgrade when you get there.
We had 8 day parkhoppers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids View Post
There's no guarantee your original dates / resort/ room type will still be available when you go to change it back.

As the above poster stated, you can change your tickets to the min. days required for the package and upgrade later once your funds come in.

Was your promo code for a package? Or a room only and you added on to make a package? If it was for a room only you could change it back to room only and add on the tickets, etc. later once you have the $$.
We had the room only and made it into a package.

Thanks for your help, after reading your post and chatting it up with two different cast members, I think I've made my plan of attack:
  1. Call Disney and possibly change to lower resort to lower costs.
  2. Downgrade tickets to non-parkhopping 1 day tickets.
  3. Get rid of dining plan.
  4. Get charged $50 to the total balance.
  5. As funds trickle in, upgrade each component(dining &tickets) before December 31st.
The cast member said that if I change and funds go down, it's a $50 charge. And as long as the balance goes up, I don't get charged since it is considered an upgrade. She also mentioned that if I make any changes to the reservation within 14 days of arrival, I would be charged $15 that would be added to the balance.

Whew, crisis averted!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
disneydreamkate
DIS Veteran

We will be at AKL the same dates as you. Have a magical trip! It is such a wonderful resort.
01/2011 AKL
10/2011 POFQ 1st F&W Festival!
01/2013 AKL
02/2014 POR (AB) PHM!
disneydreamkate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Op, that sounds like a good plan. All of that is easy to do and will work for your situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2gr8kids

To change a package to a room only the OP would have to cancel and rebook which is a PITA - paying a new deposit amd waiting for a refund.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
KuyaJeff
Mouseketeer

So I made all the changes...it was a little tricky with the new system. The cast member seemed a little judgmental with all the changes and at times sounded rude. But in the end we're all set and paid in full for "Pop Century" (temporarily, of course).

Sent from my HTC One X using DISBoards
Old 12-19-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
lufty
Earning My Ears

I am under the 30 day window and I just 'upgraded' from the Art of animation to Carribean beach. We are staying there a couple days before going on a cruise, and when I called to add the tickets and decided to add a dining plan (once in a while where I work will have extra free passes to park so was holding out hope, darn) the wonderful lady on the phone said she would check for specials. AOA didn't have any because its excluded due to being new, but I was able to upgrade to Carribean beach and add all the other stuff cheaper than the same optoins with AOA. Bonus for us as far as I am concerned. They didn't charge me anything since I was adding more to the reservation, and didn't seem to mind at all with me changing under 30 days. Hopefully the new baggage tags will get here before we leave. Never tried the magical express before so am new to all that. Suppose I should be working, but I'm too excited and keep looking at pictures of the resort since we have never been to this one before.
lufty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I made all the changes...it was a little tricky with the new system. The cast member seemed a little judgmental with all the changes and at times sounded rude. But in the end we're all set and paid in full for "Pop Century" (temporarily, of course).

Wait, you moved your reservation to a different resort? I thought you were going to cut out the tickets and dining plan until you could pay for them? Geez, I hope there's room at AKL for your discount when you want to move back.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
KuyaJeff
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missyrose

Wait, you moved your reservation to a different resort? I thought you were going to cut out the tickets and dining plan until you could pay for them? Geez, I hope there's room at AKL for your discount when you want to move back.
I hope so too...

Old 12-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #11
auprincess
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I hope so too...

The good news is you are going during a time where crowds are low (well, for Disney anyway) ~ so it shouldn't be full, however, they only give so many discounts per resort. Fingers crossed that it is still available...I'm sure you're already planning this, but if it were me, the first upgrade I would make as funds came in would be back to AKL!
April 2012 Polynesion
auprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
KuyaJeff
Mouseketeer

We've actually made the "adult decision" to change from our previous plan of Animal Kingdom Lodge to Coronado Springs. It was actually our orignal plan months ago, so we'll be "comfortable".
Old 12-20-2012, 07:57 PM   #13
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

It sounds like things are pretty tight, Pop Century is very nice and you would have a little more cushion for spending money. It's still Disney with all the perks of the Magical Express, EMH, etc.. The big benefit, imo, of the moderate and deluxe hotels is the pool, but that probably won't be used in January anyway.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: