Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 AM   #1
daisy37
Mouseketeer

Characters on Fantasy

DD (9) and I are going on the Fantasy in February. I am trying to figure out how much money I need for pictures. Do the characters still dress up in different costumes on theme nights, ie Formal Wear on Formal night and pirate costumes on Pirate night.
daisy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #2
jennab05
Mouseketeer

Yes they still dress up. And there are a ton of appearances. You can have the character assistants take photos with your own camera to save money and possibly spend elsewhere I did buy two pictures from shutters even tho they were very expensive but I had to have the photos and the ones on my camera didn't turn out. Haha.
Register to remove

Old 12-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #3
jodical
Mouseketeer

My best advice for saving $ and still getting some great character pictures is to attend the Character Farewell event in the atrium on Friday night. I'm not sure if that is the exact name but it started at 10:15pm and we brought our own camera and got FANTASTIC pictures with all the characters in therir cruise line outfits. They had Mickey, Minnie, Pluto, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, Chip & Dale, Snow White, Belle and Ariel available for photos for about 20-30 minutes with the lights bumped WAY up. Each character has a CM assigned to them that will use your camera to take pictures. There are no Shutters photographers at this event so they don't purposely keep things dark so you are forced to buy their shots. We got great photos that night with each and every character easily - it wasn't even that crowded! I was shocked!

Have fun!

Disney Fantasy Nov. 2012

Trying to decide what our next Disney trip will be...
jodical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:05 PM   #4
wendyoconnor
DIS Veteran

Bring your own camera, the CM with the character will take your picture in addition the the Shutters photographer. We were very pleased with the pictures on our camera. We did buy some photos because we wanted the the borders. Carry your camera everywhere on ship, characters will make unscheduled appearances and will appear all over the ship. Study the navigator for appearance times. Most of the characters will make multiple appearances in different costumes. Mickey appears as Captain Mickey, Pirate Captain Mickey, in a hawaiian shirt, and in tux. Minnie, Donald, Daisy, and Goofy will have corresponding costumes. The other characters have one costume ie. Captain Hook, Peter Pan, Captain Jack Sparrow etc.

Fort Wilderness 6/1992, Disney Magic 9/4/04, Disney Magic 9/18/05, Disney Fantasy 4/21/12, Disney Fantasy 10/19/13 upcoming Disney Wonder cruise 6/8/2015
wendyoconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #5
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

There is indeed an endless supply of costume changes through the cruise for several of the primary characters - Mickey, Minnie, Donald, Daisy, Goofy, Chip and Dale. We were on the Fantasy last week and even Pluto was wearing reindeer ears at one point (along with yet another Christmas set of outfits for the rest of the gang). Also got pix with Belle in her Christmas dress. Then you've still got a host of other characters with their usual outfit.

We took a ton of pictures with our own camera and are relying on those for most of our photos. However, we also gave into temptation and bought a few "official" ones, too.

If I recall correctly, here is the pricing for the Shutters pix:
- 10 prints for $149
- 20 prints for $249
- All (digital images) for $349...and for $50 more, you can also get all of the printed photos, too.

With any of these packages, you have an option for a nice single-photo book-style frame with a good picture of the ship on the opposing side -- $15.

Between character pictures and dining pictures, our binder was quite full, but $349 is a lot of money for pictures that we felt like we already had on our own camera. We went with the 10 photo option for pix that were especially good or unique, but still felt like we were paying out the proverbial wazoo...especially knowing that they'll just dump them in a trash can after we walk off the ship! However, if you think you might be even remotely interested in the biggest deal, then stand in every line you can find to maximize your money, as it's the same price whether you're paying for 30 or 100 pictures.

Also note that the pre-printed photos that populate your Shutters binder over the week have pre-printed borders on them to match whatever character or experience you're having in the picture....and they are also either 8x10 or 5x7 (but not both). I'm guessing you could ask them to re-print a photo without a border or of the different size if you have a strong preference otherwise.
Old 12-18-2012, 04:52 PM   #6
Kimosabe
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodical View Post
attend the Character Farewell event in the atrium on Friday night.
Also great advice there - they actually do this event twice on the last afternoon/evening and, even with just 20 to 30 minutes each time (even just one time), you can get a surprisingly large number of photos made with your own camera in a short amount of time. If you attended both, you should easily be able to get a photo with all the characters attending (but recognizing that not ALL of the characters are a part of this event).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: